Pre Driving Checks And VOSA

Just been told a local firm by me, has had several drivers fined by VOSA for moving off without 15mins on work to show pre-journey checks have been carried out.They were fined £50 each.

The fellas at our place either put the card in straight away on work or back time it, and have a coffee :wink:

if you watch the official VOSA dvd that is used for the DCPC, they show the driver putting his card in AFTER he has done his checks :unamused:

shuttlespanker:
if you watch the official VOSA dvd that is used for the DCPC, they show the driver putting his card in AFTER he has done his checks :unamused:

That just about sums it up :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

thats a load of cack… there is nothing in any rules to say you must have 15 to do daily check.

it will take the average driver to check a trailer and truck about 10 mins.
vosa told me as long as there is between 5-10 mins you are ok.

Agree may be a load of cack, but the fines were given out.

A firm close to Allensmore/A465, Hereford/Abergavenny junction, South of Hereford, near Locks garage…

greggy:
thats a load of cack… there is nothing in any rules to say you must have 15 to do daily check.

it will take the average driver to check a trailer and truck about 10 mins.
vosa told me as long as there is between 5-10 mins you are ok.

This is what i would say is a fine amount. If you drive the same vehicle everyday it isnt going to take 15 mins. Not sure where this 15mins figure is from but i have heard it many times.

I work for a so called blue-chip company and they batter us with the rules, its not a problem, 15minutes break before we start lol :wink:

Rooster:
Just been told a local firm by me, has had several drivers fined by VOSA for moving off without 15mins on work to show pre-journey checks have been carried out.They were fined £50 each.

Big clue right there to this story being ■■■■■■■■, VOSA do not issue £50 fines. £30, £60, £120 or £200 but not £50. Fail :slight_smile:

been pulled by vosa 5 times in past 2 months (lucky i guess) no problems found with truck and tachos checked, questioned to why i have a few manual tachos .answer stood down but paid so a working day …tacho done for that day…no problem…one day was driving a company car so start location finish location different and that was ok…i actually asked about the 15 minute thing to which several vosa guys from different locations said as long as your are a tramper then 5/10 minutes is ok cos you know your own truck/ if on trunk/day/night work with different motor every night then 15 minutes is “advisable but not compulsory” seems common sense to me so why all the fuss. 10 mins or 30 mins best “lets be safe out there” cos them extra few minutes could cost you or someone else’s life and the how would you feel. someone died/injured cos you want to get home 5 minutes quicker. :frowning: :frowning:

Just going by the local gossip, not a wind up.The truckers at our place now have a early break.

I can’t name the firm, but its not kilometres from here, but maybe the English distance

Coffeeholic:

Rooster:

Big clue right there to this story being ■■■■■■■■, VOSA do not issue £50 fines. £30, £60, £120 or £200 but not £50. Fail :slight_smile:

spot on coffee. exactly.

like you are not allowed nights out in a truck you cant stand up in. lol

I was in VOSA dagenham this morning and nothing was said about my card in and drive attitude in the mornings think its bull or they would have said something to me this morning in the 1 hour i spent in there grrrr. Good new NO fines this time lol

i was stopped this week on dettling hill all cards checked, now i know there where quite a few where i just dropped the card in and went straight away, i tramp all week some times i do over sleep and just wake in blind panic lol nothing was said to me at all, in fact i was told all my cards where fine, so this bollicks about showing 15 mins everyday!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

FFS blind panic what sort of cargo’s on board

gezt:
been pulled by vosa 5 times in past 2 months (lucky i guess) no problems found with truck and tachos checked

Was that all in the same company’s trucks Gezt?
Poor OCRS score maybe?

Haven’t seen the VOSA DVD but personally I can’t see the point in putting the card in after doing checks (I suppose it’s in case you have to swap to another vehicle because the first one is defected?) because that would, in theory, mean you have to do a manual entry to cover the ‘missing’ time & I prefer to just put in the card & forget about it.

tallyman:
Haven’t seen the VOSA DVD but personally I can’t see the point in putting the card in after doing checks (I suppose it’s in case you have to swap to another vehicle because the first one is defected?) because that would, in theory, mean you have to do a manual entry to cover the ‘missing’ time & I prefer to just put in the card & forget about it.

the point is that vosa cant even show you on an training video the correct way to do things. because from how i see it there is no correct way, do it how you want to, it like check sheets only fill out if you have a defect!!!

many years ago, whilst i was working for an agency, i was sent into a company, the woman in the transport office gave me a bollocking for checking the oil level

the reason being, according to their rules, you check the oil level and lights at the END of your shift :open_mouth:

shuttlespanker:
many years ago, whilst i was working for an agency, i was sent into a company, the woman in the transport office gave me a bollocking for checking the oil level

the reason being, according to their rules, you check the oil level and lights at the END of your shift :open_mouth:

So, take it out with no oil / water, sieze engine, how long do you have to wait before you can check correct oil level on a siezed engine?

Some ■■■■■■’ muppets around

peteandbrenda:

tallyman:

the point is that vosa cant even show you on an training video the correct way to do things. because from how i see it there is no correct way, do it how you want to, it like check sheets only fill out if you have a defect!!!

The correct way, if you say on the application form you will have your trucks inspected every 5 weeks, then every 5 weeks they must be done. If the TC puts in a stipulation about Nil Defect Reporting then a sheet must be filled in every day the truck is working, whether it has a fault or not.

VOSA Say:

There must be a system of reporting
and recording faults that may affect the
road-worthiness of the vehicle and having
them put right before the vehicle is used.
Daily defect checks are vital, and the
results of such checks should be recorded.

It is important that enough time is allowed
for the completion of these checks and that
staff are encouraged and trained to carry
them out thoroughly. Drivers should be made
aware that daily defect reporting is one of
the critical elements of any effective vehicle
road-worthiness system.

I Say:
Safety Inspections can be carried out between 4 to 13 week intervals depending on mileage or type of work. Heavy and Arduous work may require 4 week periods whereas a lightly laden vehicle on easy low mileage journeys could quite easily run to 13 week periods.

I have known companies inspect trailers every 6 weeks even if they have not been used on the road in that time, yet it could have been stood for 5 weeks and will be sent out to collect a load without being looked over.