Pre course reading

Hi, new to the forum and wanting to train as a driver over the next 6 months when I am likely to be made redundant from my current job in IT.

Have my medical booked for later this week and am wanting some advice on what to read up on ready for when it’s time to take the theory tests. Also I’m sure ive probably picked up some bad habits since my car test so a reminder of the correct procedures would be handy to read up on and practice when I’m driving the car.

can anyone recomend some good learning materials? I’m sure a saw a link to a pack of books and cd’s somewhere on the forum but can’t find it again now.

Some trainers will have materials available to you.

Others will be along with specific recommendations for reading but mine starts with Highway Code. I’ve been training folks for 40+ years and it never ceases to amaze me that potential professional drivers turn up for training without having reminded themselves of the contents of the Highway Code.

This results in valuable driving time being spent teaching the absolute basics.

Rant over!

All the best with your training,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

To practise in your car, get used to looking in both wing mirrors when moving away, changing gear, changing speed, before turning, and stopping. Get used to checking blind spot when you take handbrake off to move away. Get used to feeding steering wheel, not crossing hands.
Get used to lifting your foot off earlier and stopping smoothly in plenty of time.
That should be enough for now!

Best of luck with the journey, much help is available on here as and when required.

Push your rear mirror up so it cant be used. Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors. Slow down more before turning and don’t do everything at once ie. dont signal, brake, change gear and turn at the same time.

You have a pm regarding reading material.

Thanks for the tips everyone, started practicing the mirror thing which went fine for a bit till I forgot and found myself back using bad habits and got myself a copy of the highway code.

I havn’t sorted out a trainer yet but have a few in mind from recommendations on this site, so if anyone can recommend any specific books that would be great.

Check out the link in my signature below