Pre 97 C1 to C and changing careers?

For those with a Pre 1997 C1 who are not in this industry and are going for the C licence to become LGV drivers

Having a pre 97 LGV C1 licence means that the LGV initial driver CPC modules 2 & 4 cannot be taken in order to obtain a DQC (driver cpc card) which would cover the driver for the first 5 years of driving LGVs commercially.

What will this mean for those with pre 97 C1s who are not yet in the LGV industry?

As pre 97 C1 LGV licence holders have dcpc aquired/grandfather rights until 09/09/2014 then it will mean that they will have to complete 35 hours of driver cpc periodic training before they can drive LGVs commercially AFTER 09/09/2014

That is not such a massive issue at the moment because there is still about 2 years and 9 months in which to get those 35 hours BUT the closer it gets to 09/09/2014 the extra time & cost on top of the basic LGV training could become an issue

For those pre 97 C1 licence holders passing C or using their C1 after 09/09/2014 then they will have to complete all 35 hours of periodic dcpc before being allowed to drive LGVs commercially.

At present the DfT/DSA have not mentioned any intention to change the rules on this issue to perhaps allow those with pre 97 C1s to take the initial LGV dcpc then we are stuck with this.

From reading the various posts by newbies taking their first C test it seems to me that many are holders of pre 97 C1 licences.

This issue is, I believe, unique to the UK as I do not know of any othe EU Country which gave their car licence holders a FREE C1

Oh well, in a few decades it will be a non issue!!

That’s an interesting anomoly which has been discussed between trainers previously.

If the trainee is with a good trainer, it will be possible to complete the 35 hrs during the normal training timeline (approx 7 weeks start to finish) so I can’t really see it being an issue.

A couple of other thoughts though; a scary number of new drivers are driving without having passed Mods 2 and 4. Strangely, although we clearly point out the requirement to do mods 2 and 4, many candidates choose to listen to mates down the pub or ill-informed transport managers. It’s a fact that some of our Mod 2 and 4 passes have been driving for upwards of a year. The classic is the guy who was told by the examiner who had looked at his Mod 2 certificate that “you’ve got 2 years to do the practical”. And that’s what it says on the Mod 2 certificate. But it doesn’t say that you have to complete Mods 2 and 4 before driving professionally. The 2 years referred to is the time that the Mod 2 cert remains valid. Just the same as the normal theory test certificate.

Many brokers don’t mention the cpc requirements when selling the initial course. This, naturally, means that the price given seems (on the face of it) to be better than from the actual trainer who is doing the job properly and including the mods 2 and 4 in the conversation.

I know I’ve wandered off topic a bit; apologies. But I thought it was interesting. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I may not have understood this properly when reading but I can’t see it becoming a big issue , let me explain , I had c1 on my licence as passed pre 97 so only had to do theory and practical tests, before being able to drive , I have my cpc to drive until 2014,that was a bonus for me as did not have to pay out more at time of gaining class’s on my licence as it has turned out I have managed to gain my cpc till 2019 using my class 1 training so have done 35 hrs to take me to 2019 , at the moment people who passed car test post 97 have to do the cpc training before they can drive commercially so as gets nearer to 2014 all it will mean is that the pre 97 licence will be on same footing as post 97 so they have to do all modules before commercially driving , it just means that everyone on same footing when starting to learn hgv and you won’t have the people who had the luck not to have to pay out more initially , hope you understand what I mean
Regards
Jen x

Jennie:
I may not have understood this properly when reading but I can’t see it becoming a big issue , let me explain , I had c1 on my licence as passed pre 97 so only had to do theory and practical tests, before being able to drive , I have my cpc to drive until 2014,that was a bonus for me as did not have to pay out more at time of gaining class’s on my licence as it has turned out I have managed to gain my cpc till 2019 using my class 1 training so have done 35 hrs to take me to 2019 , at the moment people who passed car test post 97 have to do the cpc training before they can drive commercially so as gets nearer to 2014 all it will mean is that the pre 97 licence will be on same footing as post 97 so they have to do all modules before commercially driving , it just means that everyone on same footing when starting to learn hgv and you won’t have the people who had the luck not to have to pay out more initially , hope you understand what I mean
Regards
Jen x

It is my understanding that you have to do another 35 hours cpc training between 2014 and 2019. Is this correct?

Deefer:

Jennie:
Regards
Jen x

It is my understanding that you have to do another 35 hours cpc training between 2014 and 2019. Is this correct?

Pre 97 licence have cpc till 2014 , between now and 2014 needed to do 35 hrs to get my cpc till 2019 ,
Come 2014 I can then start banking hours till have 35 hrs that will take me to 2024 .
Jen x

what about pre 97 license holders who dont drive commercially, as in works lorry ( 7.5 tonner? ) can they drive if they dont get the 35 hrs done before 2014?, i take it pre 97 obv is they got their license entitlement before 97, and post 97 is after 97 ? :slight_smile:

I got my C and C+E this year, and have my initial cpc training complete as in mod 2 and 4, so all i have to worry about is 35 hrs before 2019?

James.

j4ck0:
what about pre 97 license holders who dont drive commercially, as in works lorry ( 7.5 tonner? ) can they drive if they dont get the 35 hrs done before 2014?, i take it pre 97 obv is they got their license entitlement before 97, and post 97 is after 97 ? :slight_smile:

Those driving a works 7.5 tonner C1 truck are driving commercially - possibly not full time but even 1 minute counts as commercial in this case - If they do not get the 35 hours in then they are illegal after 09/09/2014

You are correct about pre and post

Jennie:

If you wish to drive commercially after 09/09/2019 - YES

Jennie:
Regards
Jen x

I think you missed my point Jen

If you spend years working as say an office worker and then in October 2014 you decided to change careers and use your C1 for a 7.5 tonner job you would then need 35 hours completed in order to do so and working as an office person you would not have considered or known about the dcpc until that point.

The point ROG was making, I believe, is that pre 97 drivers at the moment enjoy the privilege of grandfather rights so they don’t need to do cpc before 2014.

But take the example of a pre 97 driver who passes their C test at end August 2014. They have grandfather rights till 9th Sept but have to complete the 35 hrs before then. If they haven’t done it, then they would have to cease driving until its completed.

Hope that makes sense, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Question: If I passed my Class 2 just recently, (ie Dec 17th) - do I still have to have completed 35 hrs for 2014?

Sam Millar:
Question: If I passed my Class 2 just recently, (ie Dec 17th) - do I still have to have completed 35 hrs for 2014?

No, as far as I understand it, because you have your C cat, you now have to take the initial cpc as in Mod 2 and Mod 4, and then you have until 2019 to do the 35 hrs periodic training.

j4ck0:

Sam Millar:

No, as far as I understand it, because you have your C cat, you now have to take the initial cpc as in Mod 2 and Mod 4, and then you have until 2019 to do the 35 hrs periodic training.

Are you sure this is correct, thought you would have 5 years from doing mod 2 + 4 not till 2019

Sam Millar:

If you had a C1 on your licence before 10/09/2009 then YES

If you passed initial dcpc modules 2 & 4 then NO because you should have a DQC with a dcpc expiry date on it around Dec 2016

Noworries:

j4ck0:

Sam Millar:

Are you sure this is correct, thought you would have 5 years from doing mod 2 + 4 not till 2019

sorry I’m probs not clear on how I meant this,after passing Mod 2 and 4 you have 5 yrs to complete 35 hrs, in my case I have up to 2019 as I got my mod 2 and 4 this year :slight_smile:

j4ck0:
sorry I’m probs not clear on how I meant this,after passing Mod 2 and 4 you have 5 yrs to complete 35 hrs, in my case I have up to 2019 as I got my mod 2 and 4 this year :slight_smile:

2016 not 2019 - you will find that LGV dcpc expiry date on your DQC (driver cpc card)
2011 + 5 = 2016

are you from the future 2014 then ?

Noworries:
are you from the future 2014 then ?

sorry was this for any1 inparticular?, what do you mean?

sam miller post states at bottom he only got cat b in 2010 so how would he have c1 before 2009 , or am i missing something :confused:

sorry I’m probs not clear on how I meant this,after passing Mod 2 and 4 you have 5 yrs to complete 35 hrs, in my case I have up to 2019 as I got my mod 2 and 4 this year

Assuming the Mod 2 and Mod 4 was for LGV (because it can work differently for PCV) the driver cpc will be valid for 5 years from the date of the pass.

You now have 35 hours to complete before the expiry of the new Driver Qualification Card.

Hope this helps. Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

ps have replied to your pm