Pre 1997 licence and CPC Confusion

Good morning,

I’m new here and have been reading lots and lots of posts all over the forum while waiting for my membership to be activated. Have found tonnes of useful info and tips :wink:

However, no matter how much I read both here and around the internet, I still don’t have clarification about the drivers CPC.

I have a pre 1997 licence with ‘acquired rights’ for CI. Everything I read says I need to complete 35hrs CPC training before Sept 2014 to retain these rights and use the licence for commercial gain. Nowhere can I find clarification as to post September 2014 and what entitlements I may or may not have on my licence now (unless I missed something or didn’t understand it) :confused:

I have booked a full course for Cat C licence, have my medical next weekend and have 35 hours CPC training booked in for Nov/Dec.

After I’ve done the 35 hours CPC training, am I allowed to use my CI entitlement and drive up to 7.5t as a job
(until I’ve taken and passed my Cat C)?

Thanks in advance

Sadie.

I’m not 100% sure on that.But Rog will be along soon enough for sure.He’ll put you right. Oh welcome by the way.

Basically - yes.

Once you’ve done your 35hrs and get your Driver CPC card you can drive the 7.5t professionally ie for money!

Be worth getting a digi tacho card as well for when you pass your C then your not waiting for yet another card to come through

Marvellous! Thanks for the info - that helps a lot :wink:

You can get your 35 hours now if you want to before getting C or better still if the school you have gone with has the practical LGV approved for DCPC then you can get dcpc hours from that

Typical 5 day C course DCPC approved can get the trainee 14 hours if done 1 to 1 and 28 hours if done 2 to 1

Who did you choose to train with?

Hi Rog,

I’m booked with Surrey & Hampshire HGV Training. Have got the 35 hours booked which starts at the end of November.

My medical is next Saturday (8th) and they said I need my current driving licence every day I do my CPC training, so won’t be able to send it off for provisional Cat C in case it doesn’t come back in time

They haven’t booked my Cat C practical training yet until I’ve done my 35 hours. Is that wrong then? Can I send my forms off, get provisional and use the Cat C training towards my 35 hours?

cupcake1973:
Hi Rog,

I’m booked with Surrey & Hampshire HGV Training. Have got the 35 hours booked which starts at the end of November.

My medical is next Saturday (8th) and they said I need my current driving licence every day I do my CPC training, so won’t be able to send it off for provisional Cat C in case it doesn’t come back in time

They haven’t booked my Cat C practical training yet until I’ve done my 35 hours. Is that wrong then? Can I send my forms off, get provisional and use the Cat C training towards my 35 hours?

You can do the C training and the periodic training in any order or if the C course is dcpc approved some hours can be done at the same time

The C course training provider can tell you if they have dcpc approval for their LGV practical courses
The C course would cost a little more if dcpc approved to cover the dcpc admin bit but it works out cheaper than doing separate courses for those dcpc hours gained

I tried to find out for you but H&S 01276 537400 is only an 02 answering service at the moment

That’s brill, thanks Rog. I have a contact there I can email direct and ask if their Cat C course is dcpc approved. Hopefully will save me some time and a bit of money.

Appreciate the help :slight_smile:

cupcake1973:
That’s brill, thanks Rog. I have a contact there I can email direct and ask if their Cat C course is dcpc approved. Hopefully will save me some time and a bit of money.

Appreciate the help :slight_smile:

Looking at this it does not seem they have approval for their practical courses but worth a call as they might now
jaupt.org.uk/centre?id=42ca0 … 155d010c0a

This is the sort of dcpc approved course you are looking for = jaupt.org.uk/course?id=9b616 … 9b28e82384

I did say Rog would be along to put you straight.lol

cupcake1973:

My provisional come back very quickly after sending forms in. Posted them Sat morning and had licence following week.

Now full cat C took a full fortnight to come back!

Most do come back well within the 3 wks DVLA allow

dcgpx:

cupcake1973:

My provisional come back very quickly after sending forms in. Posted them Sat morning and had licence following week.

Now full cat C took a full fortnight to come back!

Most do come back well within the 3 wks DVLA allow

Might send it off then in that case. Thanks :wink:

You may like to get a digi card if not already as most lorries now use digi although where I work they do have some analog

animal:
You may like to get a digi card if not already as most lorries now use digi although where I work they do have some analog

Someone mentioned that before, so I put the application in the post on Saturday. Thanks :wink: