PRE 1974 Vehicle Registration Numbers

Thanks for posting that Stravaiger :smiley: , I am sure that everybody will find that interesting.
I once drove an M.A.N. BFE 155S and I alway’s thought that it had come from Scotland so I am surprised that it was registered in Lincoln. Does anybody know of a M.A.N. agent in Lincoln in the 70’s ?.
Regards Steve.

quote=“stravaiger”]

Here is an example with these two oldtimers from Garstang.
J(MB) and R(SU)

removed

Except they weren’t registered in Lancashire at all. JMB hailed from Cheshire and
RSU from Kincardineshire, and before anyone takes issue with that, I know Chester
had MB and Glasgow had SU. But that was after '74. :wink:

Why does kin’cardine always sound funny to the cockneys ? :laughing:

If this is of interest in the slightest I can post the other ones as well…jim
[/quote]
Hi Jim, thanks for your interesting posting.

At the risk of being dubbed an ‘Anorak’ :sunglasses:! a bit it more detail on the ‘JMB’ Cheshire County Council mark, is that it was issued between April and July 1947.

Although the ‘SU’ mark was issued in Kincardineshire between 1904-1974, not all the potential Kincardineshire registrations were issued. The DVLC at Swansea, in their wisdom, therefore decided to use the surplus previously unissued registrations as ‘Age-Related’ marks and the series CSU to YSU were issued to the various Vehicle Record Offices around the UK between July 1986 and January 1990 for this purpose. ‘Age-Related’ numbers quite often appear on preserved vehicles where the original number has been lost or transferred to another vehicle as a valuable ‘cherished’ number etc which would seem to appear to have happened in the case of the O-series Bedford in your photo carrying the ‘Date-related’ “RSU” issue (never in fact issued by Kincardineshire). Several other surplus previously unissued Scottish numbers* were also used by the DVLC for this purpose, along with “KFF - YFF” which were unissued Merionethshire County Council numbers.

*ASJ-YSJ , BSK-YSK, ASL-YSL, CSU-YSU (as above), ASV-YSV, PSY-YSY, BS8000-onwards, DS6574 - onwards, TSJ-YYJ and GVS-YVS - all surplus Scottish previously unissued registrations, since issued by the DLVC/A as Date-Related registrations, although I’m not sure is this is a fully comprehensive list and would welcome any corrections.

It’s a lovely picture seasonal of the 2 Bedfords, it would make a great Xmas card view! :smiley:
Hope this is useful! - But don’t you just hate Clever Dickies in Anoraks? :laughing:

-Rob.

Cheers for posting the numbers Jim, used to have an old AA book with them in, but that got lost somewhere, so your list is great. Dave.

In 1904 when I believe registration numbers came into force, Dorset was allocated BF, the local squire ,Lord Digby was allocated BF1 which he took great exception to and the County Council changed to FX ,so he got FX1,BF was then allocated to Rutland

I have always been interested in registration numbers since I used to go with my father as a young boy, in his land Rover when he was towing caravans all over the country, back in the 50’s. We used to play a game of seeing who could remember first where a vehicle was from by the registration number, with me checking it out from the list in the back of his AA book. I used to know virtually all of them by heart. I have got a number of books on the subject, the best one being a small paperback book of some 50 odd pages called “Where’s that number from” or something like that. Unfortunately I have misplaced it at the moment. When I locate it I will put the details on here, but as I have had it for quite a number of years now it may be out of print. E-bay usually has several titles listed about registration numbers, but some of them go for ridiculous prices, especially any which list personalised plates. One I do have to hand which is very good is called “Registration Plates of Europe” by Neil A Parker, published by Ian Allen in 1968, cover price 4s/6p.
I have just found out about a book called “History of Motor Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom” by L H Newall which bookdepository.co.uk are selling for £15.60 post paid which I am thinking of sending for as the write up for it makes it sound like a very comprehensive guide to the subject.

kickstart:
I have always been interested in registration numbers since I used to go with my father as a young boy, in his land Rover when he was towing caravans all over the country, back in the 50’s. We used to play a game of seeing who could remember first where a vehicle was from by the registration number, with me checking it out from the list in the back of his AA book. I used to know virtually all of them by heart. I have got a number of books on the subject, the best one being a small paperback book of some 50 odd pages called “Where’s that number from” or something like that. Unfortunately I have misplaced it at the moment. When I locate it I will put the details on here, but as I have had it for quite a number of years now it may be out of print. E-bay usually has several titles listed about registration numbers, but some of them go for ridiculous prices, especially any which list personalised plates. One I do have to hand which is very good is called “Registration Plates of Europe” by Neil A Parker, published by Ian Allen in 1968, cover price 4s/6p.
I have just found out about a book called “History of Motor Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom” by L H Newall which bookdepository.co.uk are selling for £15.60 post paid which I am thinking of sending for as the write up for it makes it sound like a very comprehensive guide to the subject.

Hi Kickstart,

I was just reading about your interest in Vehicle Reg no’s, like you, I also had an early fascination as a kid spotting where vehicles were registered and looking out for locally registered vehicles miles away from home. Flintshire was my home County - so it was always a delight to spot DM registered vehicles on long journeys :slight_smile: - Happy days!! I used to have one of those Red Jotters from Woolies and a pencil and they would keep me occupied for hours, sadly all the numbers I took down were chucked in the bin, in an over zealous clean-up at some time. :cry:

I’ve been trying to compile a history of DM registered vehicles up to 1974- since most of the registers not longer exist and have managed to collect quite a few photos too and the search goes on!

Anyway, I can thoroughly recommend the late Les Newell’s ’ A History of Motor Vehicles Registration in the United Kingdom’, it’s the nearest to a ‘bible’ on the subject and I’m sure you’ll find it a really useful source of info. In fact I’m thinking of buying a second copy to use when this one falls to bits due to overuse! :smiley:

I’m always interested in any snippets of info on ‘DM’ registered vehicles up to 1974.

Let me know if I can help further.

Regards - Rob

rapidgem,can you give me the isbn number of this book please.

curnock:
rapidgem,can you give me the isbn number of this book please.

Hi Curnock, it’s rather ironic for a book on registration numbers, but there is no ISBN number displayed anywhere in the book - strange.

Product Code: R86325
ISBN13 / EAN: 9781872686325
Author(s): L H Newall
Product Type: Softback Book
Weight: 237g

Curnock, the ISBN number of the book you want is 187268632X and it is available from bookdepository.co.uk for £15.60 delivered instead of the retail price of £16.95 + delivery elsewhere. I have recently ordered one from them and await delivery.
Another good book is “Motor Vehicle Registration Marks of the British Isles” by Thomas N Bowden. This is the book I mentioned in my previous post which I had mislaid. it lists the complete index mark allocations in alphabetical order with pre- 74, post- 74 and 1980 change next to each other plus loads of other interesting info. ISBN number is 0 906025 65 6 Published July 1988. Only 48 pages but packed with info. New price from Amazon is £3.95 (bargain!) but it is out of stock at present, but they list it available second hand for from £1.43 + postage.
P.S. rapidgem, thanks for the PM. You are a true Gentleman.
Les.
Edit. :blush: :blush:
I have just spotted that Curnock has beaten me to the post with the info on the book, curses.

google it,they got some for £12 to £13 quid

kickstart:
Curnock, the ISBN number of the book you want is 187268632X and it is available from bookdepository.co.uk for £15.60 delivered instead of the retail price of £16.95 + delivery elsewhere. I have recently ordered one from them and await delivery.
Another good book is “Motor Vehicle Registration Marks of the British Isles” by Thomas N Bowden. This is the book I mentioned in my previous post which I had mislaid. it lists the complete index mark allocations in alphabetical order with pre- 74, post- 74 and 1980 change next to each other plus loads of other interesting info. ISBN number is 0 906025 65 6 Published July 1988. Only 48 pages but packed with info. New price from Amazon is £3.95 (bargain!) but it is out of stock at present, but they list it available second hand for from £1.43 + postage.
P.S. rapidgem, thanks for the PM. You are a true Gentleman.
Les.
Edit. :blush: :blush:
I have just spotted that Curnock has beaten me to the post with the info on the book, curses.

Hi Les, Yeah ‘Motor Vehicle Registration Marks of the British Isles’ is a good a relatively inexpensive book on the subject - although, personally in preference, I’d recommend Les Newall’s “A History of Motor Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom” - which is a far more in depth study and details the year and month of most of the issues - which is really useful in dating old motors more specifically.

Another useful and interesting book on the subject is “How to trace the History of Your Car” by Philip Riden Published by Meron Priory Press - 1991 (2nd Ed in 1998) ISBN 1-898937-25-7 - price £5.95. This book details which of the original registers have survived and where they can be accessed with details of the Local Record Offices. (Although it’s sad to read how many original registers have been destroyed) :frowning: , another useful section details all the various motor museums in the UK…and it has a nice piccy on the cover too! :smiley:

If you need any further info, just message me privately.

Cheers - Rob.

PS - Me, a True Gent? Well, I’ve been trying to prove that to me Mrs for years and she still can’t see it! :sunglasses: Thanks for your kind remarks, you are a good judge of character! :slight_smile:

Another interesting and highly recommended book on an associated topic is “Trade and Collect Tax Discs” Published by Collecticus - ISBN 1-873313-10-1 - price £4.95.

Available from :- collecticus.co.uk - click on Collecticus Shop.

To give you an idea what the book looks like, here’s the front cover:-

Here’s an extract showing the details for 1959 and 1960:-

So get digging in the back of that ol’ cupboard in the hope that grandad stuffed one in there instead of lighting his pipe with it! :smiley: As my old man always says, " Hey!!! don’t chuck it out lad, 'cos ya never know when it’ll come in handy ! :smiley:

Also on the Collecticus site (link in my previous posting) is the following book:-

“Number Plates by Dave Moss
Reveals the lengthy history of the British number plate - one of the few unbroken links between the earliest days of the motor vehicle and the present day. 32pp
Price: £3.50”

Slightly off topic for this thread but an equally interesting (although maybe to some a quirky :sunglasses: ) one is the UK Road Numbering System - take a look at my new thread - “A1-W2448 - UK Road Numbering System” for the link to a website which comprehensively covers the subject including the original road numbers from 1922, photos and much more too .

Apart from the old AA manuals having all these registration numbers in, somewhere in the depths of the cupboards I have some 1973 fuel ration books.

Here are some other bits that I discovered on t’interweb.