PR process step by step

Hi everyone!

wondering of some of you may be familiar with what the whole permanent residency process looks like. Around 3 months ago I have been to an interview in Alberta for truck driving job. Now my potential employer has applied for LMIA and we are waiting for him to get it. I think I know more or less what the whole process looks like (I have read lots of forums and info in Internet). However, I am still unsure of some steps, documents which are needed at those steps and how long they might take…I am listing them below, if anyone is familiar with them or has done them before, could you comment on them?

1. Applying for Alberta PNP - does this usually happen six months after I started working in Alberta? What documents will I need for this and how long will it take to get nominated?
  2. Once Albert PNP is obtained, I can apply for PR. How long does it take to get PR and what documents will I need?
  3. At which point will my wife be able to come and obtain a work permit?
    At which point will she be able to have access to healthcare?
  4. What happens if my work permit expires before I have PR in hand, will I be able to get a bridge visa?
  5. I read that there are some changed coming to provincial programs in Jan 2015. Does anyone know what exactly is going to change?
  6. Finally, does anyone know a good immigration lawyer in Alberta?

Many thanks for help :smiley:

I have been through the Saskatchewan Nomination Program so not sure my advice would be appropriate, I would however ask why you need an immigration lawyer as there is no part of the process you cant deal with yourself ?

Immigration lawyers are just scammers, I know I live south of the border but the process is much the same, unless you have a gad record or have a shady past you don’t need to hand your hard earned cash to some greedy ■■■■■■ who actually does nothing you can’t do yourself.

georgiiiii:
Hi everyone!

wondering of some of you may be familiar with what the whole permanent residency process looks like. Around 3 months ago I have been to an interview in Alberta for truck driving job. Now my potential employer has applied for LMIA and we are waiting for him to get it. I think I know more or less what the whole process looks like (I have read lots of forums and info in Internet). However, I am still unsure of some steps, documents which are needed at those steps and how long they might take…I am listing them below, if anyone is familiar with them or has done them before, could you comment on them?

1. Applying for Alberta PNP - does this usually happen six months after I started working in Alberta? What documents will I need for this and how long will it take to get nominated?
  2. Once Albert PNP is obtained, I can apply for PR. How long does it take to get PR and what documents will I need?
  3. At which point will my wife be able to come and obtain a work permit?
    At which point will she be able to have access to healthcare?
  4. What happens if my work permit expires before I have PR in hand, will I be able to get a bridge visa?
  5. I read that there are some changed coming to provincial programs in Jan 2015. Does anyone know what exactly is going to change?
  6. Finally, does anyone know a good immigration lawyer in Alberta?

Many thanks for help :smiley:

You will not need a lawyer

1. Bring everything including school exam certificates references from previous employers for the last 5 yrs, to include the type of work you did and what sort of trailers you pulled any proof of training you did in AB original UK driving license employment contract copies of LMIA paperwork and work permits. Yes the company can offer sponsorship after 6 months. O and the English test cert

2. You have to apply within 6 months of ANIP being accepted not sure how long it takes as they are looking at shaking it up.

3 you will get AB health care when you go to the register office and apply can put the mrs on straight away. As for her working there is no new spouse open WP program coming in as far as I know not sure about when your ANIP is sorted. As long as you’re ANIP has been accepted you will be able to get a bridging permit for work if it hasn’t been accepted then pack ya bags

AINP is currently between 12 & 15 mths so if you apply after 6 mths and don’t get a second WP, you could be stuck here on a visitors visa for a minimum of 6 mths or return to UK and wait for your answer.

neilg14:
AINP is currently between 12 & 15 mths so if you apply after 6 mths and don’t get a second WP, you could be stuck here on a visitors visa for a minimum of 6 mths or return to UK and wait for your answer.

Thats if you can afford to live 6 months on a visitors visa

taffytrucker:

neilg14:

Thats if you can afford to live 6 months on a visitors visa

Yep, I know a driver that went back 2 weeks ago because of this.
I don’t think it’s gonna be easy like before to get that second WP either.

Gotta make sure that you come out with the paperwork in hand to save time and get everything ready to be sent off.

From what I’ve learned off a couple of mates out in AB the process is a lot easier doing PR through with their wife as the principal applicant.

They all came over on what was then LMO as truck drivers, but when their wives got a job they applied for PR on the strength of that job rather than the trucking. The process was a hell of a lot quicker too. They had ‘normal’ jobs too, nothing fancy.

A good place for questions is a FB page called Maple Leaf Brits, the people that run the page are very helpful.

newmercman:
From what I’ve learned off a couple of mates out in AB the process is a lot easier doing PR through with their wife as the principal applicant.

They all came over on what was then LMO as truck drivers, but when their wives got a job they applied for PR on the strength of that job rather than the trucking. The process was a hell of a lot quicker too. They had ‘normal’ jobs too, nothing fancy.

A good place for questions is a FB page called Maple Leaf Brits, the people that run the page are very helpful.

I’ve got a mate I work with did just that, he came over on a city contract, couldn’t get PR from that, didn’t want to do long haul so they got PR through his mrs’s job.

The Mrs has still got to find a job with an LMIA though then apply that way.

Don’t they get an open work permit tied into to your LMO related TWP?

newmercman:
Don’t they get an open work permit tied into to your LMO related TWP?

I’m sure it has changed now, but back when I came out here in 2009 the wives of drivers could not work unless they got their own LMO job. When the driver applied for PNP and was granted that status, the wife then had an open work permit, while the driver was still tied to the same employer.

Yeah that’s how it worked, it’s PNP not LMO, I get confused with all the TWP, LMO, PNP, CIC, ETC, it’s NFG :laughing:

newmercman:
Yeah that’s how it worked, it’s PNP not LMO, I get confused with all the TWP, LMO, PNP, CIC, ETC, it’s NFG :laughing:

Its all ■■■■■■■■ and something best forgotten about most of the time!

Until this summer in AB the wife was granted an open work permit but that has now stopped and they are not allowed to work full stop unless they have an LMIA of their own.

Unfortunately AB is now becoming overrun by immigrants from India, the usual narrow minded racist attitudes don’t like that and all immigrants get tarred with the same brush.

As you know only too well Taff with all the ■■■■■■■■ on the Canadian Truckers Facebook page, they judge us all by the standards of the worst.

They do have a bit of a point where the Indians are concerned, driving ability aside, they soon take over any industry they join, all the city trucks and gravel trucks in Calgary and Edmonton are now owned by Indians, they have a reputation for lowering rates and that has ■■■■■■ off the Canadian drivers. They’ve lobbied their MPs and as a result the immigration process in AB is far more difficult than elsewhere in Canada, but not by much.

Ironically AB is responsible for labour shortages elsewhere in Canada as the lure of big bucks in the oil patch has meant massive internal migration, especially from the Maritime provinces.

The whole thing is a farce as the Indians were a perfect fit into the lower paying gravel and city trucks, leaving the white boys to earn the big bucks in the patch, but now there’s quite a few dark faces around they’re all up in arms, none of them want the jobs the Indians do, but they don’t want the Indians to do them either.

What a mess…

I agree Journo. I got a friend on Facebook and see often a reference on there to Indian drivers. Quite often they tend to be stuck somewhere even in the dry months. Can tell from replies they not welcome at all. I’m getting hacked off with being tarred with the same brush