PPE Question Steel Toe Cap Shoes

Hope this is in the right forum. I have read on tnet that is recommended wearing steel toe cap shoes/boots. Is this correct and is it required to wear these?

I have not yet drove professionally (as I need to pass the initial DCPC and haven’t got a driving job yet) but want to get all the basic kit together so I’m ready to go when the time comes.

My main question is what type of safety shoes/boots do I need to look out for as there are so many on the market? I have been looking at quite a few and found this pair Safety Shoes will these be acceptable?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question

Some companies or Hitler types will tell you that safety shoes are not welcome on their site and try to stand on your toes, this gives you the moral right to grab their knackers and throw them to the ground before placing said shoe across their neck while they squeal like pigs :stuck_out_tongue:

I have carried safety shoes for donkeys years but normally drive in trainers, sandals or barefoot.

You are correct in thinking that you will need safety footwear in many places, and in any decent company they will supply them along with a hard hat, safety gloves and a hi viz vest.

It seems that Rigger boots are not welcome in many places either.

Whether or not you have to wear safety boots is down to company policy, many companies insist on the wearing of safety boots/shoes and will bar you from site if not worn, though to be honest I’ve seen people told to wear them in future but never actually seen anyone kicked off site for not wearing them.

Personally I prefer steel toe caped trainers.

The ones you’ve linked to look fine to me though I’m not sure I would buy boots or shoes without trying them on first :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

Wheel Nut:

at the steelworks where i used to work you had to wear lace up booties only

malcolmj:

Wheel Nut:

Rigger Boots are no longer de rigueur :laughing:

malcolmj:

Wheel Nut:

They were the quick release ones,just pull side to get them off–in case hot fragments went down side.

When I first left school I worked for a safety footwear company and there are different types of footwear for different types of work.
In general as long as you have saftey (steel toe cap) footwear thats all MOST places want you to have.

I have always used ARCO for all my safety kit and never had any problems if things have proven faulty…

Basic kit
Safety shoes or boots: ( there are a lot of places that wont allow riggerboots anymore due to things falling into the boot or working in an enviroment where liquid or gravel sand etc can enter the boot and ■■■■ you down.

Gloves : Depends on the type of work your doing

Goggels : Some sites require you to have ie Quarries and areas where there is a hi concentrate of DUST

Hard hat : Again some sites require you to have hard hats whilst on site

Hi Vis : standard bit of kit

Hi vis Trougers: again depends on sites mainly quarries.

Most of the places I now go to require you to wear Hat, Goggels, Hi Vis Vest, Gloves and shoes / boots at ALL TIMES whilst on Site

nick2008:
Basic kit
Safety shoes or boots: ( there are a lot of places that wont allow riggerboots anymore due to things falling into the boot or working in an enviroment where liquid or gravel sand etc can enter the boot and ■■■■ you down.

Gloves : Depends on the type of work your doing

Goggels : Some sites require you to have ie Quarries and areas where there is a hi concentrate of DUST

Hard hat : Again some sites require you to have hard hats whilst on site

Hi Vis : standard bit of kit

Hi vis Trougers: again depends on sites mainly quarries.

Most of the places I now go to require you to wear Hat, Goggels, Hi Vis Vest, Gloves and shoes / boots at ALL TIMES whilst on Site

havent you forgot ear defenders :question: