Powering TV and Console

Hey folks

Quick question, tried search, but couldnt really find a answer.

How long could I run a TV and PS4 in cab without having to worry about not starting in the morning :unamused: Also any good suggestions on the set-up. Coming from the fuel side of it, never really used inverters or anything the like. So very curious to get into the world of these luxuries in the cab :smiley: :smiley:. If it makes a difference the tv is a 22".

Regards

Hi

I use a 500 watt Inverter for my TV ,Sat, Fridge,Etc… (Evenings and weekends) and swap over to a 300 watt Inverter whilst I am driving or away from cab just to run my little fridge. I have never run the motor to recharge the batterys.

(Both Inverters are 12 volt on a 30amp fused supply)

I hope this helps

KR Jim

Thanks for reply! It sounds like you have not hard-wired to the batteries? Do you mind me asking how long you run TV and stuff for? You say you don’t run the battery low, good to know, but how long just as a general idea for myself? Also is there some sort of low battery warning on inverters?

Regards

Our lads have got inverters ran from the Anderson lead on the unit into the cab then a standard 4 way plug you’d use in your house. What do you drive? On my fh it’s got a battery gauge and tells me what volts the battery is on. I can run them for a while if need be, how new is the motor(or batteries on an old motor)?

The older versions ps3/ps4 have fans in them to cool down the unit which in turn will drain your batteries so you would have to run the engine whilst playing it.

I don’t know what I am going to drive yet, its Maritime, so I know they have wagons no less than 3 years old, I am hoping its a FH:)

If you’re tramping with Marmite I wouldn’t bother planning any fixtures yet as you’re most probably be cab hopping for quite a while.

Already cleared up the whole cab hopping thing. Promised my own unit straight away, if it does not happen, then they already flat out lied, and I shall be leaving :imp:

The only way to be sure you are going to be able to start the motor is to monitor battery voltage.
Newer trucks often have a way to check battery votage, when you park up should show about 25-26 volts, when this drops below 24 you need to run motor for half hou minimum.

The time it takes to drop below 24 volts depends on what you are running and the ambient temp, the drop off quicker when it is cold.

I just brought a 300 watt inverter from Maplins £30 to power my laptop, it says on the box will power upto 36" lcd TV or a console not both, my guess is a 500 watt one would do you, for the extra £20 odd quid I’d be tempted to go for the 1000 watt one.

I was under the impression if you got a inverter too big for your needs, your just draw more power but only use what you need? I might be talking complete pants though. I have no clue :smiley:

Hi

Yes my Inverters are hard-wired to the batteries 30 amp Fused. But only 12 volt.
I use the Inverter power as much or as little as I want, all weekend if I am stuck somewhere. I dont use a playstation so I have no Idear of there consumption. and like I said before swap over to a 300 watt Inverter whilst I am driving or away from cab just to run my little fridge. my inverter does have a low battery warning light and tone but it,s to late by then.

Just an idear but run a 500 watt Inverter off of you car for a weekend and see how the battery holds up, at least you will be able to judge the consumption!!!

KR Jim