powered landing legs

As the name suggests , instead of winding a handle why not have powered legs ? I know there some mechanisms out there for adapting & retro fitting to trailers , why arnt they built into trailers , is it a cost / weight issue , what’s your views , I only ask as a friend works for an electronics co & yesterday he told me this idea they have for making powered legs , I hit him with a few negatives & the fact that such devices are in existence …

Judging by some of the fat bleeders i see attending the steering wheel these days, winding the legs down is about the only exercise they get, hope there’s a mirror in the bog they haven’t seen John Thomas for years.

Not worth the expense or the trouble when they go wrong, which they will being expesed to all the weather in the world.

This might help…viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75114&p=977651&hilit=powered+landing+legs#p977651

Juddian:
Judging by some of the fat bleeders i see attending the steering wheel these days, winding the legs down is about the only exercise they get, hope there’s a mirror in the bog they haven’t seen John Thomas for years.

Not worth the expense or the trouble when they go wrong, which they will being expesed to all the weather in the world.

Fattist :open_mouth:

kemaro:
instead of winding a handle why not have powered legs ? …

They do - but they’re unpopular with owners because some knobhead drivers do their
5th wheel tug testing without taking the weight off the legs first - causing leg damage.

It would be handy for those tight yards where the trailers have to be dropped 2" apart to get them all in at weekends. But then if the firm can’t afford a bigger yard powered landing legs will be well down the list of priorities…

axletramp:
It would be handy for those tight yards where the trailers have to be dropped 2" apart to get them all in at weekends. But then if the firm can’t afford a bigger yard powered landing legs will be well down the list of priorities…

True - And some drivers would miss having a good crank.

tango boy:

Juddian:

No, you’re Fattist

I think they were on Dragons Den last year and they got the no no from Hilary Devey

m1cks:

tango boy:

Juddian:

No, you’re Fattist

No, you are Barry Bethel :wink:

They have been around since the 60’s, nothing new, but pricey to fix.

Once saw a trailer with hydraulic landing legs.
The trailer was hauling golf buggies, and they were designed to drop the nose of the trailer on the floor for loading and unloading.

Reasons as follows:

1. Too heavy
  2. Too expensive
  3. Too complicated to fix when some “professional” steering-wheel attendant bu**ers them up

when i worked for air products , we had a helium trailer come in from the usa and that had electric legs which worked while the suzy was plugged in, that was in the 80s they never sent any more as they only worked on 12volts? and the firm had to get adaption kits to 24volts . dave.

kemaro:
As the name suggests , instead of winding a handle why not have powered legs ? I know there some mechanisms out there for adapting & retro fitting to trailers , why arnt they built into trailers , is it a cost / weight issue , what’s your views , I only ask as a friend works for an electronics co & yesterday he told me this idea they have for making powered legs , I hit him with a few negatives & the fact that such devices are in existence …

I seem to recall seeing an episode of Dragon’s Den where some inventor wanted funding for his auto leg-winding system. Hilary Devey (boss of Pall-Ex) shot him down, I think. :frowning:

Why do a lot of people on here put up a post without reading all the previous posts in the thread :unamused: