Power!

Been looking through some trucking mags a mate showed me from 1987.

Seems to me that, in that era, most tractor units pushed out about 280hp, although pulling a slightly reduced tonnage, granted.

Most of the units on the roads these days seem to be of around the 430 mark for a big fleet motor, and the smaller fleets perhaps a little more toward the 500 mark depending on average unit age.

Obviously MAN and others are trying to push it as far as possible with 680 and the such like available from the manufacturer.

Do we think this trend is going to continue, if the weight limit isn’t increased will we, in 10 years time, be sat atop torquey 650hp beasts as standard, although pushing out as much pollution as a sparrows backside given the greenies their own way.

Or will we still be stuck at 400hp with the fleet specs, and if so, why?
Not that I’m moaning of course, I drove a DAF the other week, fully loaded, with only a 380 engine and it still pulled like a tart with big ■■■■■.

Alex

Oh for the days of Gardiner 180’s :laughing:

del949:
Oh for the days of Gardiner 180’s :laughing:

days best forgotten except in photos.
i am on a r480 scania now and its a lot nicer than atki with a 180.
give me the scania any day.
i drove on of those heaps of scrap[atkis] years ago

No, unless the weights change then I think the average 430 - 460 will be the engine of choice.

A) Because the equation has always been said to be 10bhp per tonne. So as the maximum is 44t then they’re about right as they are.

B) the cost of fuel is going into orbit. The more oomph under the grille the more diesel is pumped through, so apart from a few ‘flash harry’s’ who buy the big 610’s etc, no one will want the added expense of owning one.

But one day they may come into their own as may be Stan Robinson and his pals will get the go ahead to run the B doubles and be up at the 60t mark, thus requiring 610’s because the old equation stands up.

Limestone Cowboy:
B) the cost of fuel is going into orbit. The more oomph under the grille the more diesel is pumped through, so apart from a few ‘flash harry’s’ who buy the big 610’s etc, no one will want the added expense of owning one.

…or do bigger powered motors return better mpg because they’re not having to work too hard? Do you thrash the ■■■■ off a 440 to get the performance you need or do you tickle a 600 and get better fuel economy?

I don’t know, just asking what you think. (But I’m swaying towards the bigger powered trucks to use less fuel than a smaller one).

Shrek:

Limestone Cowboy:

…or do bigger powered motors return better mpg because they’re not having to work too hard? Do you thrash the ■■■■ off a 440 to get the performance you need or do you tickle a 600 and get better fuel economy?

I don’t know, just asking what you think. (But I’m swaying towards the bigger powered trucks to use less fuel than a smaller one).

I think I’d have to agree with Shreks point also. :confused:

Shrek:

Limestone Cowboy:

thats salesman talk shrek :blush: Trucks are made to be driven not tickled.

It was’nt all that long ago if you had a 340 you thought you had the dogs dangly bits… :sunglasses:

:blush: I can remember getting quite aroused (can we say hard on ?) at being offered a 300 :blush:

I’m with Shrek here - at 44t a 440 is working its bollox off when a 610 would be trundling along. Or maybe not - I dunno :blush:

Don’t forget that a 44tonner with a 400hp engine would be thrashing itself to death up hills, whereas a 610 would just cruise up. Engine wear and tear would be something to consider. A 600 horse engine will spend more of its’ time in the economy zone of the rev range, a 400 will be pushed more, and the fuel economy won’t be any better on the 400.

Gotta remember as well tho back in 1987 no speed limiters.

So easier to maintain top speeds with smaller horsepower engines, the limiter is right on the power.

Driven a 380 Scania which was a complete slug on the hills with a load on, droping gears and crawling up hills at 45mph.

Speed limiter broke and suddenly its effortlessly going up hills at 60mph in top gear.

Also i’d imagine because trucks had no limiters gearing prob different back then as well.

dambuster:
:oops: I can remember getting quite aroused (can we say hard on ?)

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

Quinny:

dambuster:
:oops: I can remember getting quite aroused (can we say hard on ?)

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

Is that a “NO !!” ■■

gardun:
I’m with Shrek here - at 44t a 440 is working its bollox off when a 610 would be trundling along. Or maybe not - I dunno :blush:

although the theory fails when you get late and thrash the 610 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I agree with allikat, I had a 230 merc on chemicals 18ton but the highlands trips was drinking fuel like god knows what. I did the same trip in a hired scania 310 it was luxury.

I told my boss to get something like a 350 or I was hoping for a 420 but again he knew whats best (someone who failed his CPC three times).

I agree more power = more economical

My 420 26t flat has the same fuel economy as the 340 I had before but i dont have to rev it as much.

It’s the bloody limiter that kills the 400’s when you hit a hill, if you were sitting at 60 you’d probably pull up by dropping less gears, saving fuel and diesel reek.

i can remember when we got early model 310 daf 95s,we thought christmas had come early compared to the old daf 2800s we had,the 2800s were great motors,but 310 power ,fantastic!!! :slight_smile:

ellies dad:
thats salesman talk shrek :blush: Trucks are made to be driven not tickled.

Well I’m certainly not a salesman! I do like a tickle though! :laughing: