power steering

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Every now and then the power steering feels a little slugish when returning to a straight driving position.
No noises, no leaks, tyres and fluid levels are fine and all greased up.

Any ideas will be most welcome

Cheers

Is it on a DAF? If so I had the same problem with an XF where I used to work and it needed a new power steering pump.

No its on a erf ECT - but the pump is what im leaning towards

When was the power steering filter last changed?

shuttlespanker:
When was the power steering filter last changed?

Consider changing fluid also.

Filter was done about 50k ago

If you hold the wheel hard on full lock there’ll often be noticeably more squeal of protest than usual if the pump’s on the way out - it’s in that situation they often give up completely though so be careful. Can get the symptoms you describe if very heavy on the front axle.

Own Account Driver:
If you hold the wheel hard on full lock there’ll often be noticeably more squeal of protest than usual if the pump’s on the way out - it’s in that situation they often give up completely though so be careful. Can get the symptoms you describe if very heavy on the front axle.

you’ve met Wayne then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

runs and hides

Ooooooooo bitchy :smiley:

I have a perfect figure - for a truck driver

Universal joints on the column getting tight/starting to seize perhaps?

Kingpins starting to seize? The top bushes can get a bit tight on them, sometimes shows itself as steering wandering when the from axle is light.

Jack up front axle, disconnect steering joints, check if you can turn wheels side to side by hand, should turn nice & freely. If tight, king pin bearings seizing up, you could remove caps & try greasing them, but might need a king pin kit or two. man,s known for this after a certain mileage.

Thank you all for your replies - spoke to Aquilla trucks and as soon as I told him the problems straight away they said kingpins - so will let you know how we get on.

Just an update

Truck went in Friday night, spoke to the mechanic told him all the symptoms - he agreed with the initial thought of king pins seizing but he would see what he could do.

I spoke to parts and service and they wanted 10hrs labour @ £65p/h plus £450 for EACH kingpin.
Turns out my parts bloke can do both kingpins for £350 and the firm he used to work for will replace them for around £250.

In the end the mechanic heated, cleaned & greesed the kingpins and touch wood so far so good.