Power for a laptop

Finally got round to getting myself a laptop and was just wondering how everyone powers them while up the road?.

Can they be powered direct from the 12/24v system or is an inverter the only option?.

Cheers
Neilf

Have a look at this,

maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44736

and similar ones.

You need to check that the power rating on your laptop isn’t higher than the adapter like the one listed above.

Note that these run on 12 Volt ONLY. An inverter is another option aswell, but I used to use an 8 amp dropper and one of these adapters.

If you get one that doesn’t supply enough wattage, you’ll burn it out - I know :laughing:

Hope that helps.

I’ve been wondering the same. I was about to plug the car charger for my laptop into the 24v socket when fortunately! I noticed that it was marked as 12v only. Hopefully when our new chassis cab arrives it will have a 12v socket, otherwise for the time being I have the same problem.

Most laptop manafactures do 12 to 32v power supplies, I got a genuine HP one of flebay for £30 had it 3 years, plugs into a normal cig lighter or the hella plug

Just as a note for anyone reading this, remember you need to select the correct power rated stuff however you do it.

An example:

A laptop that runs at 96W = 8 Amps (96w/12v), so a weedy 4 Amp 24v to 12v dropper isn’t going to cope.

I used to use a twin socket 8 Amp dropper, but plugged into that was a 4.74 Amp laptop and a 12v cool box (4 Amp max) PLUS 2 phone chargers.

It all worked ok, but when the laptop was starting up, i.e. drawing most power, the dropper would whine like a bugger :laughing:

check the voltage of the laptop, it’ll be on the converter (box half way down the power lead) if it’s 22v as mine is, simply wire the lead straight to a ■■■ lighter plug and stick it the 24v socket, mine works perfect, no inverters etc needed.

I bought a 24volt 150 watt inverter from maplins, a bargain @ £29.99 for running the laptop and mains charger for the mobile.

PC world do one but it’s £100, allot of bloody money I know but I bought a new lappy a while ago that cost me £650, with the adapter from pc world you get a guarantee that if it bloes ya lappy up they replace it free of charge so I bought it, having said that I used to have the £30 one from maplin with my old lappy and never had a problem I just didn’t want to risk it with a high spec and very expensive lappy! Also the pc word one automaticly determins the correct voltage for you machine so there’s no risk of getting it wrong or accidently changing the voltage.

I use a 300w power inverter and the normail three pin plug for my laptop