power adapters

Hi

I am drive a fairly new MAN 18t rigid occasionally which doesn’t have a cigarette lighter socket to plug in my sat nav.

It does have 2 smaller sockets on the dash, a bit like the old hi fi headphone sockets (half the diameter or less than the ■■■ lighter one). I asked about this at the company I temp for but got vague replies about not using sat nav at all, or that I need an adapter.

Can anyone direct me to where I might buy an adapter, I have just looked at the Maplins web site which didn’t help, Halfords have nothing like this.

Thanks

They are called Hella sockets. Most truckstops sell the plugs.

+1
One of these should do the trick.

Image courtesy of roadking.co.uk

Also available from most good truck stops and some dodgy ones a well.

Many thanks.

Now that I know what it’s called I see they have one at Maplins for £5. And if their web site worked I could click and collect! Just have to take my chances they have one.

Cheers

Are you sure it doesn’t have a ■■■ lighter socket? On our (shiny 65 plate) MAN 18 tonners the ■■■ lighter socket is inside the ashtray, which you open by pressing it inwards then letting it spring open. It’s the large flat panel at the bottom of the centre of the dash.

and make sure its 12 volt and not 24 . Some stuff will be ok at 24 volt but some won’t so best to make sure before you plug anything into it . Get a spark with a multimeter to test it - a blown up sat nav isn’t very good at directions lol .

Roymondo:
the ■■■ lighter socket is inside the ashtray, which you open by pressing it inwards then letting it spring open. It’s the large flat panel at the bottom of the centre of the dash.

That one in mine is 24v, just be aware. As far as I know sat navs and phones can use either.