Povey International

[
This is labelled Deutz traction for Highland Line to Milan
Photo by John Soden (Driver)

Another view unloading in Slough High Street
And a close up, these were taken by Bill Soden, John did not know he was there with camera at the ready!!

Anyone remember this company from iver heath in bucks, used to do italy i think?

Ahh Povey’s of Iver
I did a couple of trips for them to Italy and Switzerland in a Seddon Atkinson
and that was it for me no more Seddons ever.
Lots more Europe/Commy Bloc and enjoyed every minute.
The drivers I remember was Baldy Bob and Donk.

i rememember them as they were based just round the corner from me…last truck i can think of them running was a leyland roadtrain…

Mitch:
Ahh Povey’s of Iver
I did a couple of trips for them to Italy and Switzerland in a Seddon Atkinson and that was it for me no more Seddons ever.
Lots more Europe/Commy Bloc and enjoyed every minute.
The drivers I remember was Baldy Bob and Donk.

is there an echo echo in here?

I remember Povey’s doing Italy too.
The ones I saw were Seddon Atkinsons.
IIRC, they were in Como customs, near Armando Vidale’s, almost every week.

I remember shipping out of Southampton one Sunday night on Seagull Ferries.Yes I am that old! I seem to remember a Poveys sixwheeler Ford cargo with a load of pigs on.No not policemen!.Lovely guy.I’m not sure who smelt worse. He kept going down below to see to them.After all that someone is going to tell me it wasn’t Poveys.

Think it was run by Charlie Ward for a while, Yard was near the Crooked Billet at Iver, I’ll see if I can find out more in a couple of days.

povey international:

schubert58:
it was run by charlie ward and they had two roadtrains and volvos Ted used to drive f12 and do Italy every week i used to drive a sudden accident and do Swiss most weeks mickey floyd from Slough used to drive a volvo as well and also Donk Len Humphries one of the roadtrains and went any where being ex middle east driver

I’ve just discovered this forum, I’m the daughter of the owner of E B Povey & Sons Ltd (Povey International as it was known). Charlie Ward was transport manager for a few years (the less said about him the better). My dad is still in contact with some of the drivers, some have passed away, one of the greatest loss was Donk. Micky Floyd is still fighting fit and Albert Pearce has just retired at the grand of age of 76. I remember Len Humphries as well and that is correct he was an ex-middle east driver. There was so many drivers through the years as the company had been going since 1931 to 1998.

Hi. I came across this forum while looking for something else and was surprised to see my Dad mentioned. Donk as he was known passed away 20 years ago. Still missed by us all. I remember visiting the yard in his lorry when I was younger.
Would any of you have any photos of him you might share please?
Thank you
Mark Hawkes

I CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM BY COMPLETE ACCIDENT , MY DAD TONY CANNON WORKED FOR POVEYS FROM 64 TO 87, THEY HAD BEEN GOING 18 MONTHS WHEN HE JOINED , APART FROM THE COAL LORRIES , I ALSO WORKED THERE FROM 1980 TO 84 ( AND WHEN I WAS 12 WASHING KLM LORRIES ON A SATURDAY MORNING ) IN THE GARAGE WITH TONY ( WHO USED TO DO A LOT OF DRIVING FOR THEM IN EUROPE IN THE EARLIER DAYS ) ALSO IN THE GARAGE WAS SINGHY , DAVID COOK , WHO CAME TO POVEYS WITH HIS DAD TOM , THEY WERE BOUGHT IN BY DAVE RAYNOR WHEN HE WAS TRANSPORT MANAGER AS THEY KNEW ABOUT LIVESTOCK TRANSPORTATION , TONY USED TO DO IT ALSO , I HAD THE PLEASURE OF WORKING WITH A LOT OF NAMES LONG SINCE FORGOTTEN AND MANY HAVE PROBABLY PASSED AWAY NOW , DONK, BERT GREENWAY , ALBERT PIERCE , MICK FLOYD , BERNARD, ERNIE , TED MONK , BILL MELLORS , OLD POP , ALEX , WHO DID TYRE RUNS FROM SEMPERIT TYRES . JOHN SODEN , WHO TONY LATER WORKED FOR , FOR MANY YEARS GREAT MEN , AND GOOD DRIVERS , THERE ARE MANY MORE WHOS NAMES I CANT REMEMBER , GREAT MEMORIES HAVING GROWN UP AROUND THE LORRIES AND YARD .

I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH DAVIDS SON GRAHAM ( I ALSO REMEMBER HIS SISTERS ) THERE IS A PHOTO ON HERE I CANT SEEM TO FIND , OF GRAHAM AND I HANGING OFF THE FRONT OF A SEDDON ATKINSON , THAT MY DAD DROVE FROM NEW SGM121S 22O ROLLS FULLER GEAR BOX , THE PHOTO WAS TAKEN AT A FARM WHERE DAVID AND TONY TOOK SOME OF DAVIDS OLD TRACTORS , TONY DROVE AN F86 THAT DAY , HE WENT TO PORTUGAL IN IT ONCE WITH LIVE STOCK .
I HAD THE PLEASURE OF EXCHANGING LETTERS WITH DAVID A FEW YEARS AGO , WHERE HE SENT ME SOME OLD PHOTOS WHICH I WILL PUT ON HERE SOON , HE SAID THE FIRM RAN FROM 1931 TO 1997 .
SADLY DAVID HAS PASSED AWAY NOW .

HOPE THIS BRINGS BACK SOME MEMORIES FOR SOME DRIVERS , ANY PHOTOS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

povey international:

pasty:
Hi ex Povey International Scammell in my shed A222 BRD any photos from the 80’s working would be nice to see ? or any info on regular runs for this unit ? thanks Ian

I’ve just noticed your post, I will see if I can get some more information for you in the next couple of days.

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE ROAD TRAIN

povey international:
I’ve just found some more old photos, just in case someone’s interested.

i have these pictures also , great photos

My dad used to work for Poveys in the 70’s . I remember Leyland Marathons and Seddon Atkinson’s . Went with him to Germany in the Seddon got hooked on trucks (wish I hadn’t). Have a picture of Seddon (not very good) but dont know how to post it.

Me and my mate Andrew hanging off the front of dads truck