Povey International

Would that be the firm we used to run containers into ,to tip ithink mostly tin tuna or fruit :smiley: :slight_smile: :cry: cant remember what :smiley:

swayze1:
Would that be the firm we used to run containers into ,to tip ithink mostly tin tuna or fruit :smiley: :slight_smile: :cry: cant remember what :smiley:

No not Povey’s.

Hi kingtrucker 143 not being picky but Poveys never had leyland t45 interstater they had 2x scammell twin steer normal sleeper cab one of which i drove while Len humphries was on holiday the one pictured on this thread actully

why has nobody mentioned f12 driver Ted and also what about Tony the Fitter he had to Rescue me from Dover with the wrecker after my sudden accident gave up in the Ardenes and myself and Donk done the 2 trailers with Donks Volvo whilst we were away tipping and loading a sub contractor fetched a drawbar from the yard and Donk Towed me all the way back to Dover where Tony was waiting with the Wrecker and he lifted the front and dragged it back to the yard with no bother at all stripped the engine and found a cracked liner 265 ROLLS

schubert58:
Hi kingtrucker 143 not being picky but Poveys never had leyland t45 interstater they had 2x scammell twin steer normal sleeper cab one of which i drove while Len humphries was on holiday the one pictured on this thread actully

I must be mixing them up with somebody else, was a while ago.

povey international:

albion1938:
He must have been a steady driver,first 2 and last rows arent secured!!

David :smiley:

They say the camera never lies! :smiley: The lorry was new. I’ve been informed by a guy who was the mate on it just after the war that was the farm mechanic standing next to it, as the driver presumably wasn’t about. I imagine it was being loaded for market or just got back, so a set-up for the photographer. The photograph was taken for the firm who supplied the lorry and built the body, Gibbs of Bedfont, to put in their album, the first time I saw the picture was when they lent me the album to have a look at, although I later found a framed copy in the garage. Apart from the lack of ropes, that was a typical load when it was working from Iver to and from the London markets. The boxes contained cut flowers.
Bernard

Loved the photo showed it to my dad and Povey’s did some loads for Duttons, he said the boxes contained carnations to be exact.
[/quote]
Show him this one, see what he thinks. That’s my little brother standing there, we were restoring the Bedford for David Dutton
Bernard

schubert58:

I think some of your info is incorrect, we had 1 x Scammell and Len Humphries didn’t drive it.

albion1938:

povey international:

albion1938:
He must have been a steady driver,first 2 and last rows arent secured!!

David :smiley:

They say the camera never lies! :smiley: The lorry was new. I’ve been informed by a guy who was the mate on it just after the war that was the farm mechanic standing next to it, as the driver presumably wasn’t about. I imagine it was being loaded for market or just got back, so a set-up for the photographer. The photograph was taken for the firm who supplied the lorry and built the body, Gibbs of Bedfont, to put in their album, the first time I saw the picture was when they lent me the album to have a look at, although I later found a framed copy in the garage. Apart from the lack of ropes, that was a typical load when it was working from Iver to and from the London markets. The boxes contained cut flowers.
Bernard

Loved the photo showed it to my dad and Povey’s did some loads for Duttons, he said the boxes contained carnations to be exact.

Show him this one, see what he thinks. That’s my little brother standing there, we were restoring the Bedford for David Dutton
Bernard
[/quote]
Another excellent photo.

povey international:

schubert58:

I think some of your info is incorrect, we had 1 x Scammell and Len Humphries didn’t drive it.

if you check i think you will find that you actully had one A reg and then purchased a new one which i think was a c reg and len was driving the a reg maybe only tempory but he went on holiday and i drove it for a couple of weeks they actully sprayed the new one in the fitter shop at Iver it would have been around 84/85 when i worked there

charlie one:
I remember shipping out of Southampton one Sunday night on Seagull Ferries.Yes I am that old! I seem to remember a Poveys sixwheeler Ford cargo with a load of pigs on.No not policemen!.Lovely guy.I’m not sure who smelt worse. He kept going down below to see to them.After all that someone is going to tell me it wasn’t Poveys.

I well remember the little guy with Povey’s Ford D series 6 wheeler, met up with him on several ferries, but cannot recall his name. The Ford had a trailing axle and I remember it having trouble reversing onto the lift to the top deck of Brittany Ferries first new ship Pen Ar Bed. I first new of Poveys as livestock hauliers, it was some time before I realised that they did more than that. I also seem to recall a Dennis artic going up and down the A20.
Peter

schubert58:

povey international:

schubert58:

if you check i think you will find that you actully had one A reg and then purchased a new one which i think was a c reg and len was driving the a reg maybe only tempory but he went on holiday and i drove it for a couple of weeks they actully sprayed the new one in the fitter shop at Iver it would have been around 84/85 when i worked there

I’ve just spoken to my dad and he said that he had 1 x Scammel A reg and a Leyland C reg 6x2.

: ok i knew there was one other but it was not a Scammell no problems anyway all in the past now but the best days of road haulage what about Alberts wife Dot is she still around new her because of faberge (where she worked)

schubert58:
: ok i knew there was one other but it was not a Scammell no problems anyway all in the past now but the best days of road haulage what about Alberts wife Dot is she still around new her because of faberge (where she worked)

Yes she is still around, saw her about 2 week’s ago, hasn’t changed still a lovely person.

yes i would agree with that she allways was a lovely person and Albert also a good Bloke

Peter Coaker:

charlie one:
I remember shipping out of Southampton one Sunday night on Seagull Ferries.Yes I am that old! I seem to remember a Poveys sixwheeler Ford cargo with a load of pigs on.No not policemen!.Lovely guy.I’m not sure who smelt worse. He kept going down below to see to them.After all that someone is going to tell me it wasn’t Poveys.

I well remember the little guy with Povey’s Ford D series 6 wheeler, met up with him on several ferries, but cannot recall his name. The Ford had a trailing axle and I remember it having trouble reversing onto the lift to the top deck of Brittany Ferries first new ship Pen Ar Bed. I first new of Poveys as livestock hauliers, it was some time before I realised that they did more than that. I also seem to recall a Dennis artic going up and down the A20.
Peter

The driver of the Ford D series 6 wheeler could have been Tony Cannon and yes we did have a Dennis arctic, well remembered.

Hi ex Povey International Scammell in my shed A222 BRD any photos from the 80’s working would be nice to see ? or any info on regular runs for this unit ? thanks Ian

all i can tell you as an ex driver that lorry would have to go wherever the work was at the time ie western europe

pasty:
Hi ex Povey International Scammell in my shed A222 BRD any photos from the 80’s working would be nice to see ? or any info on regular runs for this unit ? thanks Ian

I’ve just noticed your post, I will see if I can get some more information for you in the next couple of days.

I’ve just found some more old photos, just in case someone’s interested.

Hopefully a pic from J. Soden an ex driver for E B Povey sent by a friend! this is labelled back haul from Hull