Potential Career Change

Hi All, after some advice, that has probably been asked a thousand times, so my apologies in advance.

I am going through a redundancy and thinking about a career change but want to explore the actual realistic employment and earnings potential first.

I stay in Livingston, so handy for most of Central Scotland. Does anyone know how easy it is to get work in this area?
What are realistic potential earnings if you are not scared to put in the hours? I know it will obviously be limited by WTD etc.

I have looked at a few potential training options. Peter Smythe on here obviously gets a good rep, but i spoke to Stobarts and they say they will guarantee you a job at the end of the course if you do the training through their training Academy. Is this likely to be decent paid, full time and Permanent?

Scania do a thing where if you pay £60, they will take you out on a driving assessment to see how you respond to training. is this worthwhile doing?

many thanks for any advice offered.

Gerry

they will guarantee you a job

To be clear, they will guarantee you an interview. Whether or not you get a job will depend on how your training went and how you interview. (Assuming, of course, that they have a vacancy which they normally have).

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete.

if you have 3k to 4k lying about i would personally go private aka petes as your paying what you agree on. But get both licenses done at the same time IMO.

With scheme like guarantee a job you will be worse off as they will pay far less money, anyways all in all you missed out on the xmas peak so if you do pass you will find it very hard finding a class 1 job, none the less their will be plenty of class 2 job out there. Having said that passing your license is good regardless cause most company want you to held your license for “x” amount of time for insurance purposes.

Cheers Ben

DHL NISA, Livingston take on new Class 1 and Class 2 drivers.

Cheers Buddy

Can you not get your licenses as part of your redundancy?
Was certainly the case when I was made redundant from Motorola. ( 2001).
I’m sure as part of a initiative to find you other employment they have to assist you in this. Worth looking into.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Cheers Mate. its an English based company and only 3 of us being made redundant.

I think with Motorola and NEC, the closures were such a massive local catastrophe that the Scottish Government stepped in with training plans etc

What do people think of this offer from Ritchies?

The Ultimate Driving Course
20 Days: LGV Category C followed by ADR (Carriage of dangerous goods)
LGV Category C+E followed by Lorry Loader (HIAB).
modules 1 (multiple choice,hazard perception) and 2 (case study) must be completed before arriving.

Product Price: £3,100.00
Duration Days 20

I’m not up to speed with current prices but I did my cat C training with Ritchies years ago and found them to be great.

They have updated their fleet now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GerryR:
What do people think of this offer from Ritchies?

modules 1 (multiple choice,hazard perception) and 2 (case study) must be completed before arriving.

Duration Days 20

ritchiestraining.co.uk/produ … ng-course/
Does not seem to include mod4 :question:

The price does seem very good though :smiley:

For comparison, the DST offer would give you all the above, except HIAB, for £2,480. You would also get Mod 4 and cpc hours from the CE which will be credited to the subsequent cpc period (2024 - 2029).

Choice is yours,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete.

Just thinking of the ease of using a local company to be honest.

is getting the HIAB course worthwhile?

ALso could anyone tell me what realistic likely earnings can be if you are willing to put in the hours?

If you’re staying local, Ritchies is a good choice. Say hello to Walter for me.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you want local. I’d stick with Ritchie’s.
Used them for my class 2 many moons ago. Tried another training provider , ( main business car dealership) for my class 1 & instructor was shocking. Only speaking from personal experience.

Ritchie’s have had a good reputation for years.

Also noticed there is a payment scheme available on Ritchie’s website. Don’t know if it’s available with that offer though.

Thanks All

If your willing to travel and get training much cheaper, T French in ■■■■■■■ will do you a brilliant deal for your class 1 and 2. But again its entirely up too you. Tesco were recently looking for folk and XPO Iceland are looking right now but being in Livi is great to travel for places.
Best of luck anyway lad!

Cheers Josh