Posting vids

Have done it many times from you tube, but tried to post one that had been whats apped to me, and I just got this.

Any way of getting around it, but bear in mind I aint the best at tech :blush: :smiley:

Had similar probs before with photos, saying they were wrong size, but got around it by screen shotting them and they go on the site no probs.
Cheers.

Hi robroy,

Iā€™m not the best at tech either. :frowning:

Iā€™d say that one easy answer is to post a link to the vid.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

dieseldave:
Hi robroy,

Iā€™m not the best at tech either. :frowning:

Iā€™d say that one easy answer is to post a link to the vid.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Cheers Dave, it was a vid made privately rather than off some site (not that sort :laughing: ) so I aint sure how to do that either.
But thanks anyway mate.

Robroy raises a good point here (unusually for him :smiley: ), surely the techies that look after this site can make it far simpler to post videos. On this site it seems that you can either mess about trying to embed a YouTube video or post a link to it, whereas social media you can simply send one straight from your device to whichever platform youā€™re using.

That makes it sound like I know about this stuff, which couldnā€™t be further from the truth, but surely there must be a simpler way?

It is the same for posting photoā€™s, I have always used the same size/format etc and now it tells me the file is too big,so i rarely post pics!

pete smith:
It is the same for posting photoā€™s, I have always used the same size/format etc and now it tells me the file is too big,so i rarely post pics!

Same here Pete, Iā€™ve got a whole batch ready to go, but canā€™t post them! Very annoying indeed and I havenā€™t got a clue how to change the format.

There is no new ā€œlimitā€ on file sizes. the 2mb limit has been in place for a number of years.

We are not facebook and donā€™t have our own server data centres- we have over the years constantly upgraded the server to give more storage and space- many years ago we didnā€™t limit the file size upload, and folks would happily upload images of 10mb + , this led to us running out of disc storage regularly.

For web use, unlike print, we donā€™t need high resolution images to show them, for this forum an image of 250kb will show just as well on most monitors as a 10mb version

As its stands today the TruckNet database is at 6.5 Gibabytes with 167 Gibabytes of image attachments- a server to hold that amount of image data and an internet connection to serve those images quickly over 1.25 million views a month costs a lot, if we opened up to unlimited file size uploads again we would quickly become unviable.

That reason is also why we donā€™t host videos, even a short HD video can be close to a Gigabyte - You Tube and others are far more capable to cope with those large file sizes than we can ever hope.

So sorry, Videos will have to be hosted externally and linked - for images I use pixresizer.en.softonic.com/ its free software that lets you optimise images for web use

Hope this explains why we cant host videos or huge image files

Ta for the explanation Rikki.

pv83:
Ta for the explanation Rikki.

As above, Cheerā€™s Rikki