Post test training

Hi all after recently passing my class 1 test i have noticed a few things which i think should be taught to people who have just passed there test . Ok i am really lucky because i have worked in the haulage industry since i was 16 and all my family are truckers so i had a really big head start . I think it would be benificial to have some sort of course in place to teach new drivers the basic things mostly to do with trailers . I have been driving two weeks now and have pulled probably about 4 or 5 different type of curtainsider . It may seem daft but you are never shown how to :

Open and close curtain using ratchet mechanism .
How to replace the poles and silly things like that .
Even how to do a buckle up
How to move the centre post in the trailer ( can be dangerous if not shown how)
How to work a ratchet correctly to secure the loads.

As i say i have been lucky but for a total newbie i could see these things and probably loads of other things really diffucult and maybe dangerous if not shown the correct procedure.

Please add the the things you really struggled on that was not taught to you in your training .

In a perdect world your employer would show you how to work things but we all know that is not likely is it .

I think we are all hoping that a lot of these will be covered by the INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts 10 Sept 2009 but this is likely to focus on C trucks - we shall see…

PS - it would be nice to include these type of things during the C & CE training courses but who would be prepared to pay for the extra time :question: :question:

I dont think many people would pay extra and that is half the problem . With the training being expensive anyway people cant really afford the extra . Yes hopefully the driver cpc will cover most of these things but i suppose we will have to wait and see.

s2rich:
Open and close curtain using ratchet mechanism .
How to replace the poles and silly things like that .
Even how to do a buckle up
How to move the centre post in the trailer ( can be dangerous if not shown how)
How to work a ratchet correctly to secure the loads.

These things come in as on the job training and are mostly plain old fashioned common sense , regardless of what industry you’re employed in it’s never possible to train for every eventuality, if you’re not sure ask someone, you may even make a friend or two in the process :wink:

Ask any of the older drivers around here how they learned about the job and in most cases you’ll find it was from other drivers and not from a book or classroom teacher :wink:

tachograph:
Ask any of the older drivers around here how they learned about the job and in most cases you’ll find it was from other drivers and not from a book or classroom teacher :wink:

Echoed by me - theory is OK but there is nothing like being shown how to do it and then doing it yourself.

IF the new DRIVER CPC is to just do the theory then it will be a waste of time IMO.

This would just give a driver lots of extra paperwork to carry with them.

It would mean the bloke over there cannot pull a Pacton Tilt because he hasnt been trained on the handbrake cable. Tranship that curtainsider because this bloke only ever used a Crane Fruehauf and has never used a Samro sliding roof.

Common sense has to be used, instead of having to nursemaid everyone with comforting training certificates.

If you break a nail, you will learn an easier or better way the next time it happens