post man pat

just wondered if any one has any experience of working for royal mail. i should be working for them this weekend and i just wondered what im likely to expect. its class 2 work. just wondered what sort of loads, distances and motors to expect? :slight_smile:

I left there in '96 but I would imagine it’s still the same. Mainly trunking, loaded with cages stacked full of mailbags. The majority of their distribution is overnight.
I found it ok but it is a bit zb by numbers and organised along military lines. It used to be overtime city at xmas when I worked for them.

how many drops? sounds ok though. do they push you or is it all nice and legal

It depends where you’re working from but the trunks are all usually full load & reload at the same place.

Running hooky? This is Her Majesties Royal Mail ! :laughing: No, none of that business although you will be running under domestic driving regs and not the EU ones. They’ll explain all that before you go out and tbh they’re a lot more simple to use. In short a cushy little number.

Done it through agency in bradford great job you will like it.

cool i hope so after my first and last experience with sunlight laundry.
should i hit the books and bone up on the domestic regs then? im confused and intersested to know what im supposed to do with the tacho now?

Embarassingly I can’t remember in any detail without digging out all my folders but they will explain them to you before you drive anything. Maybe ROG could assist ?

Royal Mail now run under EU tacho rules… they don’t use POA’s though…

I’m working for them at the moment. It’s one of the easiest jobs you could get. The motors are all okay and the mail is in either Yorks or cages. You’ll get a job sheet explaining exactly what your shift entails and if you’re in doubt about anything there’s always someone around to ask.

did it several years on the trot at crimbo when I lived in Glasgow

was driving a 7.5 tonner on nights from the main parcel force depot in Bellshill, down to golden fleece services by Carlisle, then waiting for the truck coming up from, england and take it back,to Glasgow

would start at 10 pm be in Carlisle by 12/12,30am and then sit around getting bored till the wagon from England turned up around 4am then it was either back to the depot,or Prestwick airport

was so easy and was on a gauranteed 15 hour day as the union chap had told all the agency chaps that it takes their drivers 15 hours so we should do it in the same time aswell ,

Try here

Look at Page 24 (actually Page 27 in the PDF :unamused: )

Iggy:

I’m working for them at the moment. It’s one of the easiest jobs you could get. The motors are all okay and the mail is in either Yorks or cages. You’ll get a job sheet explaining exactly what your shift entails and if you’re in doubt about anything there’s always someone around to ask.

Ah, I stand corrected. It’s been a while though !

Goaty:

Iggy:

Ah, I stand corrected. It’s been a while though !

I used to look forward to seven days a week at the Royal Mail over Christmas… a good earner that was… :laughing:

I worked with Royal Mail for 19 years took early retirement moved to Northampton signed up with Manpower and now back driving for them out of Crick.if you have a class2 it will be mainly yorks which the mail is carried in 24 can be carried in a rigid nice easy clean work no rush maybe plenty of down time so bring a book or a portable dvd player all there vehicles well the liveried red ones are Dafs although they do hire in extra motors for the christmas period. most mail centre/distribution hubs have a decent canteen so you wont go hungry hope you enjoy your time driving for them.

Was told they dont much like you stopping on route though
Did it years ago out of cattle market in bristol
Trunked to charnock richards for 2 weeks doing the glasgow switch special
Only met the scots guy 3 times he’d ring me and say park up if ur MT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 2nd week i was just pulling out the yard did as was told went to Mwood and parked up went back 9hrs later nothing was ever said

Did a few trips trunking backshift from Wishaw to Warrington a couple of years ago. Nice and easy shift, clean enough fleet mostly CF Dafs.

I used to work for them via agency quite often. An absolute skoosh and quite good cash too.

im also in at parcelforce through the manpowe rocntract, managed to blag work till xmas without delivering one single parcel lol

seems good soo far even tho its only van multidrop which i s a bit meh tbh but hey its work.