Post 2005 renault premium dxi

Hello truckers,

Besides Renault’s having a volvo driveline, how good or bad are these new shaped premiums■■? Just seen a 56 plate on truck trader with under 700k going for £8950 plus VAT. Would that be the average retailing price for a 2006 example■■?

DG Taylor by any chance?

there very cheap to buy for some reason loads of them about for the right money i used to like the old ones and they seemed pretty reliable the new one seems very cramped inside

Be careful if you need to go into London, some of the early ones are still only Euro 3.

Paul

A drivers eye view for you.

nsmith1180 from the Iveco Stralis vs Renault Premium thread.:
We run a small fleet of the Renault’s for the Vauxhall contract. We have Premium Privilege 6x2s from 11 to 12 plates and an old 58 plated 4x2 we use for shunting and one really awkward drop.

I have no idea what is premium about them. The truck has everything you need, nothing that you don’t. Its a fleet truck.

I would prefer more power than the 460 engine, the 500 out of the magnum would be a great unit in the Premium, but I don’t think they do it. The 460 has a noticeable advantage over the 450 58 plater we use for shunting with even a moderate load on.

I do not like the gearbox, but from comments on here and in the traffic office, I think I am alone on this. I think it is indecisive and rarely picks the right gear when it makes its choice, but I have only driven the OptiDriver box or a four over four so my experience is limited.

Our tramper likes his, he spends 3-5 days on the trot in it and has little to complain about. I have found the bunk a bit small on the occasional night out that I have done, but that will me more because of my love of a full English rather than Renault not fitting a big enough bunk. The normal version, which I don’t know the proper name of but is about the size of a high roof CF, has enough storage for a week out. There is good space under the bunk, a small lockable locker and a big one built into the roof and the side bins are huge compared to some of the other trucks I have seen at RDCs and things.

The version with bunks for double manning is a bugger, (we hired one a while ago when work was busy) I kept bashing my head off it and you cant deploy the bunk and use the internal curtains at the same time. It has the chance of getting a lot chilly.

I pulled 48 pallets of bog roll today and got about 9 to the gallon running at “56” all the way. The speedo on this one is crap because my navgav insists I was only doing 53, a statement backed up by the fact that when I dropped it to the companies preferred 54, I was getting overtaken by Tesco Mercs. On very heavy work, (28t of Skol Super) I was seeing an average of about 4-5 MPG and instant consumption dropping to fractions of a mile per gallon under load!

Keeping them clean is harder than it needs to be, I have done two full bottles of washer fluid this week!

Repair costs are apparently quite low, though the most regularly broken bits, steps and side bin lids are in shorter supply than for some other models and can get expensive from what our workshop tells me. Fortunately, the only part I have ever needed replacing is a wing mirror cover. I wish trees would wear high vis on dark, wet nights.

On the whole, I wouldn’t go looking for one, but if one was offered, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it. As I said above, its a fleet truck, not a unit for an owner driver, which is probably why you don’t see many done up. If you offered me the Stralis, I would offer you my notice. The outside looks good but I have heard nothing but horror stories about the mechanical side and the interior fabrics must come under the heading of cruel and degrading treatment.

Renault and Volvo apparently use different air line connections at the UNIT end than other firms, so any spares you may have for other vehicles may not fit your new units.