Possibly went over minutes

Hi there, drove for 4 hour and 15 mins and alarm started going off. I then managed to get pulled over at 4 hour 23 mins for a stop. Have my 45 min break now but I’m worried I have went over? Help

Cheers

no. they flash the warning at 4:15 and every few mins there after. at 4:30 it’ll tell you that you’re over if you are.

Maximum single stint on continuous driving is 4 and a half hours (4:30) so stopping at 4:23 is ok and the 45 minutes break resets the clock. Nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

I fell prey to this on my first ever shift at Stobarts. My dash started flashing drive time alarm so I pulled over immediately as I was right near a lay by. Unfortunately I was only about 10 minutes away from my last collection (which I was already 2 hours late for) and would’ve made it.

But you live and learn. If your dash was flashing too as some lorries do it would’ve only been an orange flash and orange is advisory. It will flash red when it goes over 4h30m.

Thanks guys, I was not sure so I pulled over. I was prob like ten mins from depot but another driver came and got it and took it in for me. Its all learning so now I know. Thanks for that.

Another thing that happened whilst driving with full load on motorway downhill with cruise control on is overspeed flashing. Is that an issue I need to worry about getting in trouble for?

Cheers

mrhankey:
Thanks guys, I was not sure so I pulled over. I was prob like ten mins from depot but another driver came and got it and took it in for me. Its all learning so now I know. Thanks for that.

Another thing that happened whilst driving with full load on motorway downhill with cruise control on is overspeed flashing. Is that an issue I need to worry about getting in trouble for?

Cheers

Just watch your speed. most company’s don’t worry too much as long as your not hitting over the big number I usually get 1 or 2 a night just touch the exhaust break to bring speed down push ok on tacho and crack on… :wink:

mrhankey:
Cheers

If your truck is limited to 90km/h, the maximum allowed under EU regs, if you do 91km/h for 60 seconds or more you will get an overspeed infringement.

I’m not sure on the legalities of it to be honest but I do know that the speed for HGVs on motorways is 60mph or 96km/h and my company don’t start shouting at you until you breach this limit.

Thanks for the help. Is the exhaust brake the one on dash that you pull?

Sorry but still learning.

I went over like 3 times once at about 96kmh and I had no idea what to do about tacho. Will the company I was doing the work for be annoyed? My uncle who is now retired now said that if I got caught or if I get my tacho checked then I could be in bother. Been worried since.

mrhankey:
Thanks for the help. Is the exhaust brake the one on dash that you pull?

Sorry but still learning.

I went over like 3 times once at about 96kmh and I had no idea what to do about tacho. Will the company I was doing the work for be annoyed? My uncle who is now retired now said that if I got caught or if I get my tacho checked then I could be in bother. Been worried since.

The over speed will show up on a tacho download but I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

With regards to your exhaust brake, what are you driving?

Was a volvo, not sure what but it was longest rigid I have driven and seen anyway.

So you think the overspeed thing will be ok? Don’t want company to get into trouble and in turn speak to agency about me?

I know now to press ok and brake a good bit but I just was not sure it was an issue, at first when it went way over I thought it was just the on board computer telling me I had went over then after about 5 mins I realised it would not go away even though I slowed down and saw the tacho unit was flashing so pressed ok.

mrhankey:

Cheers

Overspeed is not an offence

If you had gone a few minutes over driving time on an odd occasion then do a manual entry explaining it and all will be well
Authorities are not interested in a one-off small error and would not expect a driver to stop a few mins from base if at the end of a shift - you might like to if paid by the hour though :wink:

Did you do manual entry for the time where the other driver took over?

When you start rolling down a hill (especially with a load on board) she will pick up speed, my Tacho is set at 89kph, as soon as it hits 90kph I’ve got 60 seconds to bring it back down to 89 or below, I usually check my watch (if I’m watching the speedo) & start bringing the speed back down on 45 seconds. Got it up to about 70mph once, just to see what it would do. Lol.
Having said that, I often get an Overspeed warning but I’ve only had 1 infringement for the 70 mph.
Just ok it when it’s flashing & it will clear.
If the company are worried about it, they will probably have a word with you & tell you not to do it again.

If you coming down a hill and your loaded, before you get to the crest just lift off the gas. The hill and your weight will slow you down but not enough so you will crest but it will allow you to control your speed on the way down. Just hit the exhaust brake and dab the brakes as you go down. Don’t ride them as you could overheat them.

Thanks for all the help.

I did not put in manual entry. I ejected my card as if it was end of my shift and he waited around ten mins then put his in but by time he got back to depot I was on way home. That ok?

Thanks for all the tips. I need to get someone to show me the exhaust brake.

mrhankey:
Thanks for all the help.

I did not put in manual entry. I ejected my card as if it was end of my shift and he waited around ten mins then put his in but by time he got back to depot I was on way home. That ok?

Thanks for all the tips. I need to get someone to show me the exhaust brake.

Your rest time starts as soon as you eject your card. I had to be picked up last week because I was going to run out of hours. The company sent two drivers out to get me, one to drive the truck and another to drive me back. I was told by the office that if the driver is brought back voluntarily then that time can count as rest. My duty time finished at 11pm, I didn’t actually get through my front door till 1am but it still counted as rest.

Radar19:
Your rest time starts as soon as you eject your card. I had to be picked up last week because I was going to run out of hours. The company sent two drivers out to get me, one to drive the truck and another to drive me back. I was told by the office that if the driver is brought back voluntarily then that time can count as rest. My duty time finished at 11pm, I didn’t actually get through my front door till 1am but it still counted as rest.

ILLEGAL
You cannot travel as a passenger in those circumstances and record it as rest - that is the law

The whole of your journey from base/home and back to base/home must be officially recorded - that was why the Skills coaches case was brought many years ago which set the laws we now have

I think it comes under falsifying records if you get caught = very serious

ROG:

Radar19:

ILLEGAL
You cannot travel as a passenger in those circumstances and record it as rest - that is the law

The whole of your journey from base/home and back to base/home must be officially recorded - that was why the Skills coaches case was brought many years ago which set the laws we now have

Another case of he said she said. I guess its back to the regs for me.

ROG:

Radar19:

ILLEGAL

ROG, it can be counted as rest under these circumstances if the driver says “Can you take me home please or Can you take me back to the depot so that I can collect my car”. If it’s of his own choosing then that’s fine.

However, if the driver is picked up and is forced to return to the depot, then that is other work and not rest.

mrhankey:
Is the exhaust brake the one on dash that you pull?

:open_mouth:

Lee1976:

ROG:

Radar19:

ILLEGAL

ROG, it can be counted as rest under these circumstances if the driver says “Can you take me home please or Can you take me back to the depot so that I can collect my car”. If it’s of his own choosing then that’s fine.

However, if the driver is picked up and is forced to return to the depot, then that is other work and not rest.

The driver can get a lift BUT must restart from the place they were picked up from so that the ‘journey’ does not have any un-recorded gaps in it

There is no legal way to get around this law