Possibly for the millionth time, but.... (CPC)

Hi all, please can somebody clarify this CPC minefield for me?

I passed my C1 in June 14, my C+E last week, my car test in 1989. Nobody seems to be able to tell me about the module 4 etc. My instructor wasn’t sure if I had to do both parts of the module 4, another training company just told me I have to get my 35 hours in by Sept 10th even as a newbie… somebody else said just the case studies part of the module 4… Gah, it’s driving me mad, lol!!!

Face:

I passed my C1 in June 14, my C+E last week, my car test in 1989. Nobody seems to be able to tell me about the module 4 etc. My instructor wasn’t sure if I had to do both parts of the module 4, another training company just told me I have to get my 35 hours in by Sept 10th even as a newbie… somebody else said just the case studies part of the module 4… Gah, it’s driving me mad, lol!!!

I am assuming you mean cat C and not C1 - if this is the case you have to complete the periodic training before September 10th if you wish to drive in the near future - there is no need for you to take module 2 and 4 even as a newbie

hope this helps

john

Face:

You passed your car test in 1989 so you should have had category C1 on your licence before the test you took in June which you say was C1, the test you passed in June must have been cat C not cat C1, you can’t go from cat C1 straight to cat C+E.

As you had cat C1 on your licence since 1989 you do not have to do the Initial CPC, actually I don’t think you could if you wanted to.
You will not be able to drive HGVs commercially after 9th September unless you do 35 hours driver CPC periodic training.

As the trainer who you did cat C with would have seen your driving licence he should have known this.

edit: Where I typed “you can’t go from cat C straight to cat C+E” should read “you can’t go from cat C1 straight to cat C+E”, corrected now.

Sorry, can’t remember new fangled classes easily - my Class 2 was June, Class 1 last week edit; yes cat C, just looked it up)… so I do have to do my 35 hours as any other driver then? Cos the gov’t website just says I have to do the module 4…

But this;

gov.uk/driver-certificate-o … lification

…says just module 4■■

with a pre 97 car pass the system will not let you do a module 2 or 4

You need 35 hours periodic before 09/09/2014 if you wish to drive commercially after that date

If you cannot get in the 35 by that date then you are suspended from using the licence to drive commercially until you do complete the 35 hours

Face:
Sorry, can’t remember new fangled classes easily - my Class 2 was June, Class 1 last week edit; yes cat C, just looked it up)… so I do have to do my 35 hours as any other driver then? Cos the gov’t website just says I have to do the module 4…

But this;

gov.uk/driver-certificate-o … lification

…says just module 4■■

Because you passed your car test in 1989 you should have had cat C1 on your licence before you passed cat C (class 2) in June.

Having cat C1 on your licence when the Driver CPC was implemented in 2009 automatically gave you acquired rights (grandfather rights) to the driver CPC, this means that you do not have to do the Initial CPC you just have to do the 35 hours periodic training.

The short answer is that you do not have to do modules 2 or 4, you have to do 35 hours periodic training.

tachograph:
The short answer is that you do not have to do modules 2 or 4, you have to do 35 hours periodic training.

This^^ :wink:

Thanks all, advice much appreciated :slight_smile: