Possible trip to hungary

there might be a chance that i have to go to Hungary,Budapest i think,in an artic,think its going in through Austria,so the questions are,never been to or through Austria so whats the procedure,road tax,speed limits hgv rules and same again for Hungary,thanks in advance for helpful replies

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22117

Yes buy a Go box from the border or a service station near by. Put as much on the box as you think you’ll need. When you get to Hungarian border, buy a vignette for that country, take your vehicle docs with you. New motorway all the way to Budapest. Plenty of services too. It’s a beautiful city as well.

If you are using a DKV card to buy your vignette make sure it has the correct vehicle reg on it, I got caught out by that.

bigvern1:
Yes buy a Go box from the border or a service station near by. Put as much on the box as you think you’ll need. When you get to Hungarian border, buy a vignette for that country, take your vehicle docs with you. New motorway all the way to Budapest. Plenty of services too. It’s a beautiful city as well.

what he said,
but buy a 10 day vignette. there’s [zb] all in it between a 3 day and 10 day.

Last time i entered hungary went through czech and when i got to the border they wouldnt accept dkv it was cash only

nedflanders:
Last time i entered hungary went through czech and when i got to the border they wouldnt accept dkv it was cash only

just carry on to the shell or bp. police don’t bother you for the first few miles.

Thanks phil i will know for next time :')

bigvern1:

Do this… +1 on the ‘City’ quote…

If you’re going via Vienna and then on to the M1 to Budapest, there’s a drive-through vignette station not long after the Bratislava road joins the M1. That’s probably the fastest way to get them, and they don’t charge a commission, unlike most other places. Alternatively, you can download a small app onto your mobile phone from izishop.com so that you can buy them on your mobile using a credit card. Download the app in the UK so that you pay lower data charges, then the actual purchase transaction is pretty cheap on data (about 10p for me, at £5 per megabyte)

There’s no such thing as a 3-day vignette. It’s 1-day (HUF 3375), 10-day (HUF 15875), Monthly (HUF 25785) or Annual (HUF 234950). So, up to 4 days it’s cheaper to get daily vignettes, 5 or more days it’s cheaper to go weekly.

Note that you only need vignettes for motorways, and even then, it’s not all motorways - Sections of motorways between multiple exits to the same town/city are often vignette-free. In particular, the M0 (the Budapest ring road) and the motorways between Budapest city centre and the M0 are all vignette-free. So, if you think you’re going to go straight into Budapest, then run around locally for a few days, then go straight out again, you may only need two days’ worth of vignettes.

More info: www.motorway.hu

So if you only want 3 days of tax, can you buy that all in one go with each days date on them?

knobby gb:
So if you only want 3 days of tax, can you buy that all in one go with each days date on them?

i think what you’re getting at is say transit on the 5th, then 24 off, then transit on the 7th and 8th. you’d need 4 days.
the vignette is for 3 or 10 days etc from the day you get it, if you want individual dates, then you buy daily vignettes.

knobby gb:

Yes. That’s why I like to use the mobile phone app as you can buy them whenever and wherever you want rather than having to go and find somewhere that sells them. In reality, they’re not vignette stickers any more - it’s an electronic vignette that’s just an entry into a database to say that you’ve paid.