Possible "tail runner" meteors tonight

Personally, I don’t believe that there is “no connection” between this morning’s Russian meteors and the passing DA14 astroid tonight.

More likely, the Russian debris is the “front running” stuff, and there will therefore be some “tail running” stuff after Midnight tonight, as DA14 passes over the pole star from where we are standing in the UK…

For those in the West of Scotland, Iceland, Scandinavia, Canada, or even Russia again - there might well be something to see in the small hours tomorrow morning I suggest… :wink:

It IS a bit of a coincidence, anyway, we will see. Will be out 'n about this evening.

I was ‘lucky’ enough to see the fireball a couple of months back. It was a bit of brown trouser moment I can tell ya! Thought it was a plane about to crash!

You will need binocs to actually get a glimpse of the asteroid methinks.

Are you Trucknets Astronomer Royale then, Winseer? :slight_smile: :wink:

liveleak.com/view?i=152_1360906606

DrivingMissDaisy:
ItemFix - Social Video Factory

wow… It makes you wonder what would happen, if one did hit earth in a populated area, scary, when you stop and think about it…

No chance of seeing a lot in the english channel then? Love parking with little light polution,(was nr Tereul,spain last night,very good.) so get a decent view above. :laughing:

it came from a different direction .

I said to this lady, I’ll show you the moon if you show me Uranus.

beefy4605:
Russian Meteor Explosion Not Caused by Asteroid Flyby | Space

The asteroid that’s going to pass by wasn’t even noticed until recently.Maybe it’s a mistake to think that there’s any link between their direction compared to the amounts of them assuming that there’s a group of them flying through the solar system on random planes of orbit round the Sun.It could be that there’s plenty of the things ranging in all types and sizes which might be heading this way or might not regardless of which plane of orbit that they are on.It’s wether those orbits intersect with ours or not is all that matters.

Carryfast:

beefy4605:
Russian Meteor Explosion Not Caused by Asteroid Flyby | Space

The asteroid that’s going to pass by wasn’t even noticed until recently.Maybe it’s a mistake to think that there’s any link between their direction compared to the amounts of them assuming that there’s a group of them flying through the solar system on random planes of orbit round the Sun.It could be that there’s plenty of the things ranging in all types and sizes which might be heading this way or might not regardless of which plane of orbit that they are on.It’s wether those orbits intersect with ours or not is all that matters.

dailywritingtips.com/wether-weather-whether/
Not wanting to be a pedant (nor a pendant) but CF always seems to spell whether incorrectly. It bugs me. Sorry…

Don’t apologise, pretty much everything he writes bugs me. Here’s a classic example:

Carryfast:
Maybe it’s a mistake to think that there’s any link between their direction compared to the amounts of them assuming that there’s a group of them flying through the solar system on random planes of orbit round the Sun.

It’s like somebody put a load of words in a bucket, stirred it with a big spoon and then chucked it all over the floor. :stuck_out_tongue:

Goldilox:
It IS a bit of a coincidence, anyway, we will see. Will be out 'n about this evening.

I was ‘lucky’ enough to see the fireball a couple of months back. It was a bit of brown trouser moment I can tell ya! Thought it was a plane about to crash!

You will need binocs to actually get a glimpse of the asteroid methinks.

Are you Trucknets Astronomer Royale then, Winseer? :slight_smile: :wink:

I’ve been into Astronomy & Egyptology since I was a kid. I hold no former qualification in either though.

I’ve heard that there was another fireball seen in the San Fransisco bay area late last night…
It was all overcast where I’ve been out and about though. (M1 corridor) :cry:

I was in East Grinstead Thursday evening and with a clear sky I noticed 3 or 4 objects across the sky. Not really shooting stars but slower and looking more yellowish with a trail almost like a firework. All were at pretty much the same point in the sky running west to east ish. This would have been between 2300 and 0100.

Cheers
Neilf