Possible overtaking ban on A12!

A HGV overtaking ban is being proposed on the A12 for the not too distant future.

Do you use this route regularly ? How do you feel about this being introduced ?

shouldn’t his name be Rodney ■■■?! That David Scott-Smith is spot on when he says it will just cause a “long queue of trucks” and could make joining the A12 for cars not safe at all. These people who make up these stupid plans are obviously brain dead and have probably done a stint in Parkhurst :unamused: Oh he’s a Tory say no more! :unamused:

steve the argonaut:
A HGV overtaking ban is being proposed on the A12 for the not too distant future.

Do you use this route regularly ? How do you feel about this being introduced ?

A12 lorry overtaking ban plan at Essex County Council - BBC News

Absolute stupidity :exclamation:
There are sections of highway in Pennslyvania where trucks are banned from overtaking and it causes total chaos when traffic is heavy, all the light loads and empty trucks get stuck behind all the slow moving and heavy stuff causing a backlog for mile upon mile. These idiots who dream up these dreadfull plans should study the effects they have elsewhere in the world.

It doesn’t occur to these “experts” that the number of tractors using this road could also be a factor in the delays that, “car drivers”, have to endure. Perhaps if these drivers got up a bit earlier they wouldn’t have to drive like lunatics to get to work on time.

but end of the days its the "I’m not going to knock off the cruise control for no one"brigade that cause it?!

Cruise Control:
but end of the days its the "I’m not going to knock off the cruise control for no one"brigade that cause it?!

I watched one on the A1(M) between the A64 and Wetherby Services, over 6 miles, and the cattle truck was still trying to pass when I turned off.

They’d be better off making it a 50 limit and no one would be held up. :wink:

I like the picture they use.

A parked truck in a layby hardly says it all.

I’m sure they could have stood on an overbridge and found 1/2 mile of empty road, then two trucks neck and neck with a load of cars behind. Lazy journalism.

Cruise Control:

Absolutely spot on! It’ll happen and we’ll only have ourselves to blame.

Over here we’ve had this no overtaking ban for trucks for a while & It ■■■■■…

Cruise Control:

Too bloody right! I’d happly support it, those people that dont let off or overtake at 0.5mph are an embarrassment to the industry! Some lorry drivers think that they have right of way over cars and its about time it changes. 2mph extra over 60miles doesnt make a blind bit of difference!

I’ve got a 53 plate DAF75 with a drag so the possibility of overtaking anything bar a milk float doesn’t arise, so ‘no comment’.

Brilliant and it should be no overtaking anything including cranes and tractors let the chaos begin, and it will be I think they will soon change there minds, the money would be much better spent making the laybys wider and safer.

Bloody marvelous, Essex CC really does hate trucks, there is still a plan hanging around to ban over night parking in layby’s on the A12 in Essex. :unamused:

Yeah aint that the truth, travel a couple of K’s under flat stick, then if you catch another wagon you’ve got a couple of klicks in hand. I suppose the Youtube vigilanties will be out to video any overtaking trucks.

Maybe some off these motorists ought think about the fuel their saving traveling at 56 for a mile or 2/3/4/etc.

When all said and done, this could well be electioneering on the part of these tory idiots, looking for some popular stunt to hold onto their seats on the gravy train. Hateful scroungers :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

"This is not an attack on road hauliers who provide a vital service for our county and beyond.

“But it is aimed at recognising that the A12 is a important road that is very congested and overtaking lorries do contribute to slow journey times and we believe that this ban would improve that situation for all.”

This doesn’t say that for years we’ve under invested in our major trunk roads so we’ll pass the buck onto the trucks (again).
If all motorists observed lane discipline the congestion would be a whole lot less.