Portugal peage and motorway parking

when you are on the motorway in protugal and you have a peage ticket if you park up overnite at the services and your ticket goes over 12 hours you will be charged full.
i have seen on here where drivers think it has stopped it hasnt it still in place.
i parked up overnite on services they want £6O FOR A £20 PEAGE after a bit of arguing i got away with it.

This is the case, and is well documented.

If you turn and look at the back of your ticket its written in english that you have 12 hours from when you join the motorway to get off it or charges are incurred or something along those lines :wink:

bigvern1:

i agree but somewhere on here i seen it say that the charge has been stopped

hanson:

bigvern1:

You will also have seen on here plenty of people saying that was wrong.
You were lucky, why didn’t you read the back of the ticket ?

fozzie:
If you turn and look at the back of your ticket its written in english that you have 12 hours from when you join the motorway to get off it or charges are incurred or something along those lines :wink:

has also been mentioned several times.

Or was it more the case that

which was what you wanted to believe, so you ignored everything else said contrary to that?
Now you know better and hopefully won’t make the same mistake again.

and if i do make the mistake again they will be bumped for the money like they was this time

hanson:
and if i do make the mistake again they will be bumped for the money like they was this time

I’ve only done a trip to Portugal once, so I don’t know the place that well.
From what I’ve heard and read, there are plenty of good places to park up and eat, just off their motorways. Much the same as Spain.

Another way around the problem, is to come off at the peage just before where you want to park up. Pay the toll accumulated so far. Turn around and straight back onto the motorway. Park up. Carry on after your rest. If you have an 11 hr rest, do the same at the next peage after your stopping point and carry on to your destination.

This time you got a sympathetic peage toll collector. You might next time, how often do you expect your luck to hold ? Try to “bump” the wrong peage and I doubt the police will be sympathetic at all.

there is plenty of places of the motorway just forgot about the rule of twelve hours they took number of truck so they will still apply for the money.

You were lucky to getaway with it!!
My parents are Portuguese and had to pay when they decided to stop for the night on their motorhome!!Best thing to do really is to park outside a restaurant on the national roads!!
Are you paying the scuts,or electronic tolls??To be honest i wouldn’t bother, as it’s what most people with foreign plates do!!

You can drive on the national from Lisboa to Oporto, years ago it nearly took all day, but maybe it has improved, and has said plenty of good value cafes on route with lots of room to park for free.
If you go through the Via Verde or green lane, the machine can not pick up foreign plates, so you pass through for free, an alarm goes off, so if the GNR brigado traffico are there you may get in trouble.
I used to arrive at the peage and present my bank cards to offer payment for the toll, they did not accept foreign cards, so they wrote out a bill to pay in so many days, i never did post the money back, they photocopied the passport, i never heard from them again.

toby1234abc:
You can drive on the national from Lisboa to Oporto, years ago it nearly took all day, but maybe it has improved, and has said plenty of good value cafes on route with lots of room to park for free.
If you go through the Via Verde or green lane, the machine can not pick up foreign plates, so you pass through for free, an alarm goes off, so if the GNR brigado traffico are there you may get in trouble.
I used to arrive at the peage and present my bank cards to offer payment for the toll, they did not accept foreign cards, so they wrote out a bill to pay in so many days, i never did post the money back, they photocopied the passport, i never heard from them again.

I have bounced the tolls in Portugal too. And that’s exactly what happened to me. Never heard a thing since. Italy used to be lax too, but that was a few years ago now.

I refused to pay a fine on that dreaded IP5 road, told the GNR i had no cash so they took the details of my Portuguese tax certificate and residents permit, thinking they would take no action, they did, 6 months later the baillifs emptied the wifes flat or expensive furniture to pay the fine and court costs.
I used to run Lisbon to Porto and bounce the toll as many did, or Porto to Lisbon.

Simon:

hanson:

bigvern1:

You will also have seen on here plenty of people saying that was wrong.
You were lucky, why didn’t you read the back of the ticket ?

fozzie:

has also been mentioned several times.

Or was it more the case that

which was what you wanted to believe, so you ignored everything else said contrary to that?
Now you know better and hopefully won’t make the same mistake again.

How patronising :unamused:

thought i was back at school when i read that reply :laughing: :laughing:

maverick72:
How patronising :unamused:

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind :unamused: