Portsmouth truckstop update

One of our drivers stopped there or should i say tried to, it was only 1630 and he was told there was no room, apparently there is only room for 4 Artics because the rubbish firm next door ( blue wagons ) is using the truckstop because there lease has run out, i am about to have a look a Portsmouth council’s website to ask them why a signposted lorry park cannot be used by the people who need it :imp: Does anybody else know anything

Unfortunately, the guy that owns the land sells all the overnight parking spaces to local firms on a weekly rate. There must surely be something illegal in this as regards Operating Centres

I’m sure the local authority will have somthing to say when that industrial estate starts filling up with overnighters that have followed the signs to a “Truckstop” only to find it is just sombody’s yard that is being sublet to operators,with a cafe.

This is one of the very few “Truckstops” that is actually signposted from the motorway and if this is being abused then how much hope is there in getting more signs for other truckstops?

I dont think the waste firm would be too happy if their motors couldn’t get out in the early hours 'coz the ind est was full of overnighting trucks :unamused:
The management at the waste firm are obviously not very good at their jobs if they couldn’t find another operating center before they were evicted from the last one.

Just sent the council an Email pointing out that it is Signposted and that i am not a very safe driver if i am tired, now let’s take a bet. that it is nothing to do with them. i will be down there Mon so will have a look

There was an item in one of the magazines 2 or 3 years ago to the effect that, due to the lack of parking for drivers exiting from ferries, VOSA had given a dispensation to allow people to exceed their daily hours to reach Portsmouth truckstop.

If this location is now no longer useable, then perhaps they also need to be informed.

Let all drivers use common sense and endorse back of tacho to the effect,

“arrived Portsmouth Lorry Park, it was full of [zb] vehicles from next door, driving time exceeded to get good night rest and safe parking…”

I went over on mine once by 1hr 1min, never heard a thing back…
VOSA know the companies that appear to “bend” the rules all the time…The occasionasl guy who exceeds his driving/duty will not likely suffer any bad comeback…

Sorry, that had to go…L. :wink:

This has to rate as one of the worst truck stops in the country: always tight to find somewhere to park and usually full of milk wagons banging crates around.
Last time I was there in the summer , just to have a look, at 1600 it was full and very very dusty. Parked outside and I paid ÂŁ2 for a shower which although hot , could have been a lot cleaner.
Found a spot next to Portsmouth football club, along with 2 car transporters and a Finnnish reefer loading furniture back to Helsinki.

Parking in the south east is always a nightmare, but who is going to invest in a truck stop when land prices are so huge.

merlin
Take your time

Well Done Portsmouth council at least they had the decency to reply

Thank you for your e-mail re parking lorries in Portsmouth, which has been passed to me for response. I sympathise that Truckstop have decided
to rent spaces to the Co-op and the Waste Management company adjacent but I am unable to comment on their method of operation.

With the limited availability of spaces at Truckstop, officers from different Directorates within PCC are currently working together to locate a viable
site within the local Portsmouth area that can be developed as a lorry park with all necessary facilities. There are three sites currently being
investigated. However, even after a decision is made the development will not happen overnight.

Until all the details are finalised I am unable to advise you where you can park but I have kept your e-mail address on file and will keep you updated
as matters progress.

Yours Sincerely

Terry Kean
For Parking Manager.

-----Original Message-----