Port security check

Hi, just looking some opinions on level of security checks when you enter a port area. There’s a new guy in a port I go into numerous times daily and in my opinion he’s taking security checks to a whole new level.
He wants to look inside my cab for anything illegal like drugs etc etc.
I thought he was going to stand on the passenger step and do a cursory glance around the cab but on no this guy started opening the lockers and trying to go through all the contents. Told him to stop and get out. He got out and walked away muttering about getting me banned from the port area etc and how his company would be contacting my boss regarding my failure to let him do his search.
Next time he stopped me I flatly refused to let him in the cab unless he called the police who I would let look inside.
He refused to wear a mask, gloves etc saying they are no longer a legal requirement.
Spoke to my boss this morning who is going to contact ferry company, who owns the port and get back to me.
So just wondering who here would refuse a cab search? I understand that some places require them but to what level, ie. going through the lockers, trying to stand on the bunk to look into locker, removing my gear, coats etc out of locker to check the contents.
As far as I’m concerned a cab search is a glance round the cab from the passenger step. Am I in the wrong here by refusing such an envision of my privacy? It’s my personal stuff in the cab.

Bottom line, you are entering their premises so as annoying as it might seem they have a right to search your vehicle if that is their policy and they wish to do so.

And as for just expecting them to stand on the step and have a glance, again if they want to search your vehicle to see if you are bringing anything in you shouldn’t be, then what’s the point of doing the search if they can’t check places you might be stashing stuff. Saying all this, I can imagine there is an element of power trip going on here from them.

As. Above there premises there rules.
If you refuse there obviously going to refuse you entry.same when I used todeliver to sellafield they go over your truck like anything remove stuff like electronics gas canister cooker etc get them back when done is a pain at times.
But how they do know your not criminal trying smuggle something onto a boat to be picked up at the other end.
Just one them things have to smile and accept it.

Ports come under their own unique set of laws. And whilst at most places the gatehouse security can basically be ignored and told to go away at a port they can’t.

Here’s the rules you have to abide by at an ABP port…

abports.co.uk/media/qipmlcj … 016-v2.pdf

All vehicles, vessels, persons and their possessions may be subject to inspection and searches at any
time, including on entry to and exit from the Port.

ABP is entitled to remove and/or ban any person from the Port (including areas occupied by ABP
customers and any vessel at the Port) if ABP considers that their presence or behaviour may present a
danger or give rise to a risk to health, safety, security, order, property or the environment at the Port, or
if ABP considers that such person has breached or is attempting to breach any of these Rules or any
applicable law

edd1974:
If you refuse there obviously going to refuse you entry.same when I used todeliver to sellafield they go over your truck like anything remove stuff like electronics gas canister cooker etc get them back when done is a pain at times.
But how they do know your not criminal trying smuggle something onto a boat to be picked up at the other end.

Thing is im only dropping a trailer for the boat and not actually going on the ferry. Seems a bit ott, i offered to open the trailer so they can check it’s contents since its the trailer going on the boat and not the unit.

Sorry to say if you’re going quay side at a ferry or container port you’re in no man’s land and thus subject to customs or security searches under Maritime law ( Signs all over DP word Southampton )

So basically I’m f##ked

the fub:
Hi, just looking some opinions on level of security checks when you enter a port area. There’s a new guy in a port I go into numerous times daily and in my opinion he’s taking security checks to a whole new level.
He wants to look inside my cab for anything illegal like drugs etc etc.
I thought he was going to stand on the passenger step and do a cursory glance around the cab but on no this guy started opening the lockers and trying to go through all the contents. Told him to stop and get out. He got out and walked away muttering about getting me banned from the port area etc and how his company would be contacting my boss regarding my failure to let him do his search.
Next time he stopped me I flatly refused to let him in the cab unless he called the police who I would let look inside.
He refused to wear a mask, gloves etc saying they are no longer a legal requirement.
Spoke to my boss this morning who is going to contact ferry company, who owns the port and get back to me.
So just wondering who here would refuse a cab search? I understand that some places require them but to what level, ie. going through the lockers, trying to stand on the bunk to look into locker, removing my gear, coats etc out of locker to check the contents.
As far as I’m concerned a cab search is a glance round the cab from the passenger step. Am I in the wrong here by refusing such an envision of my privacy? It’s my personal stuff in the cab.

Not a ■■■■■■■ chance would he be looking though lockers / bags etc , that’s your / my personal space / possessions , if that’s there policy I’d be happy being banned , send some idiot who’s daft enough to let them do it ( there’s plenty of thick idiots on this thread who seem happy enough to allow it )
What next a bloody strip search , just ■■■■ him off .

the fub:
So basically I’m f##ked

Try to save some particularly obnoxious ■■■■■ for immediately before he gets into your truck. He’ll give in before you do.

the maoster:

the fub:
So basically I’m f##ked

Try to save some particularly obnoxious ■■■■■ for immediately before he gets into your truck. He’ll give in before you do.

Or leave some skid marked undies in the first locker he is going to put his hands in, he’ll definitely want some gloves then… :wink:

edd1974:

Presumably containers are by definition sealed pre-shipment so scratching my head how that equates to a drivers personal space being violated ?l guess certain types just have a hard on for authority ?

blue estate:
Sorry to say if you’re going quay side at a ferry or container port you’re in no man’s land and thus subject to customs or security searches under Maritime law ( Signs all over DP word Southampton )

Ironically the entire planet is under ‘maritime-law’.The whole ■■■■ and shinola vatican psyop, controls the legal rather than lawful system of our existence(remember,ignorance of the law is no exemption so keep your law degree updated).A huge rabbit-hole topic,thankfully being increasingly exposed for the evil that it it yokes us to. :smiling_imp:

Reads like two numpties met when they had both had a bad day.
Regardless of taking a trailer or not, as above, their site and their rules.
Is it possible that they way they said they’d search the cab, the driver hit off about masks (really), the guard escalated and so it progressed.
Take the high ground, tell your boss you were having a bad day, understand the rules etc and get the ban removed.
From their perspective, the more the driver objects, the more curious they’d get.
Poorly handled by both driver and guard, except the driver was avoidable banned, the operator now has a numpty driver they can’t sent to the docks, and the guard is unaffected!!! So, yeah you handled it really well!

If, like you say, you are going into the port ‘several times a day’, do you really need all that clutter in the cab? take it out and keep it in your car until you actually need it for a night out.

cav551:
If, like you say, you are going into the port ‘several times a day’, do you really need all that clutter in the cab? take it out and keep it in your car until you actually need it for a night out.

Op might be working away from base all week, might get dropped off at work by nearest and dearest etc etc.

Acorn:
Is it possible that they way they said they’d search the cab, the driver hit off about masks (really), the guard escalated and so it progressed.
Take the high ground, tell your boss you were having a bad day, understand the rules etc and get the ban removed.
From their perspective, the more the driver objects, the more curious they’d get.
Poorly handled by both driver and guard, except the driver was avoidable banned, the operator now has a numpty driver they can’t sent to the docks, and the guard is unaffected!!! So, yeah you handled it really well!

For starters I wasn’t having a bad day, I wear masks all the time because I have a high risk partner and an elderly parent who cannot afford to get sick.
So the “really” as you quoted actually stems up your attitude not mine.
I for one do not like having a complete stranger rummaging through my personal gear and since its my cab I’d be inclined to class that as my personal space.
Covid hasn’t magically gone away,it’s still here and still killing people it’s just we as a whole have learnt to live and adapt with it hence that’s why i wear a mask to this day and would perfer someone in my cab to do the same.
By the way I haven’t been banned, the security bod only muttered it as he walked away. Boss has spoken at length to ferry company and we have all agreed on how to settle the matter. I’ll will abide by the port rules etc regarding any form of search and all security personnel involved in the searching will wear appropriate ppe, ie mask, gloves etc etc.
Problem solved

the fub:

Acorn:

For starters I wasn’t having a bad day, I wear masks all the time because I have a high risk partner and an elderly parent who cannot afford to get sick.
So the “really” as you quoted actually stems up your attitude not mine.
I for one do not like having a complete stranger rummaging through my personal gear and since its my cab I’d be inclined to class that as my personal space.
Covid hasn’t magically gone away,it’s still here and still killing people it’s just we as a whole have learnt to live and adapt with it hence that’s why i wear a mask to this day and would perfer someone in my cab to do the same.
By the way I haven’t been banned, the security bod only muttered it as he walked away. Boss has spoken at length to ferry company and we have all agreed on how to settle the matter. I’ll will abide by the port rules etc regarding any form of search and all security personnel involved in the searching will wear appropriate ppe, ie mask, gloves etc etc.
Problem solved

With that extra snippet of info specific to your need to mask, perhaps you could have saved the day and that hassle you passed to others by saying something like ‘you can check my vehicle but please wear mask etc’.
Good final outcome that could have been avoided

You actually had my sympathy and full agreement (I even felt myself building a refreshing moral outrage) until you dropped the mask bombshell. Now I think that the security bod should’ve tazered you into oblivion :smiley:

the maoster:
You actually had my sympathy and full agreement (I even felt myself building a refreshing moral outrage) until you dropped the mask bombshell. Now I think that the security bod should’ve tazered you into oblivion :smiley:

Ha ha, luv it pmsl :slight_smile:

Don’t expect to get far refusing if you go to RAF Lakenheath or similar.

Park in the shed, open all the doors, lockers, bonnet and then leave the shed until called back in. Oh and there is a sniper on the catwalk in the roof.

Best not to make a fuss