Port of Feixstowe-first time

Just been told I am collecting from p o f on Monday. Rhides card has been organised for me to pick up and I have watched the induction video on the p o f website.

Not done container work before so would appreciate any information so I don’t look a complete numpty on my first few trips into the docks.

Any other container haulage tips also received gratefully. I will search TNUK on this as well.

As always, cheers in advance.

Puggy.

I havnt done dock work or containers so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt.

i was talking to an old boy the other week as im considering having a crack at box jockying.

this bloke pulled up next to me with a container on and we got to chatting like you do.

he was telling me about how long hed been in the game and about all the high end cargo hes moved and the mind numbingly boring stuff as well.

everything from TVs to antiques to toilet roll. bloke was a wealth of useful information into the world of a box jockeys.

i got to asking him about tips and he said to me " whats tha needs doing t’boxes is a firm arse and a letngth of scaffolding pipe t’ crack an ockard box. But tha biggest tip i can pass on t’ thee is this…Dont drive int’ water when tha gets they er"

i thought it was sound advice.

also i made this up.

but i have heard scaffold pipe can be handy for a rusty door

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

er, thanks (I think)…

They give you a map at the police station when you get your rhides card. It’s not massively detailed but it’s good enough to give you the basics for the first few visits. You’ll pick it up easily after a few trips. I’ve been working out of there for most of the past 12 years, and I still get foxed with something I don’t know every now and then. You’ll be fine

You only have 2 hours between the terminal outdated and the dock outgate, but don’t forget to ask for a long weight at terminal outgate

Drive down to and enter thro Dock gate 1 to get to police station to get your Rhides card… it’s quicker :wink:. It’s also the way to get to berths 8,9,10 or Languard as they call it.

If your picking up from Trinity after you’ve got your Rhides card, go back to the roundabout, first left (Coldstore Rd) and follow that road. You’ll come to another roundabout (near where Dock gate 2 is located) which you need to go straight over, straight over the next one, then left into the terminal.

Make sure you swipe your card TWICE at the machine at the exit terminal.

What time is your VBS cus i’m also going there Monday morning.

It’s most likely youl be using Trinity terminal or Languard (aka 9 berth I think, always Languard to me and I’m ■■■■■■ a bit so can’t remember even though I was there yesterday).

Anyway Trinity (TTY) is dock gate 2 Languard is dock gate 1. No matter youl get there in the end.

Right so now the fun begins, depending on your time slot youl either be queueing for the canopy terminals or straight in.

Stop under the canopy at the stop sign, undo twist licks here or if there’s a queue do em whilst waiting.

Now then under the canopy there is computer terminals, best to have Rhides card in hand and paperwork, VBS details, box pin number.

Follow the on screen instructions, after language screen insert Rhides card and then there’s a hand scan thingy. Then youl be asked for the VBS number and your registration.
Next screen will show collection box number then once confirmed you will be asked for the box pin number, 7 digit number.

Right whilst this is going on a nice bloke in an orange hi viz will be checking your box if your bringing one in.

The screen will say ‘Awaiting completion of checks’ then it will say click accept and remove Rhides card.
Now after this there’s a slight glitch where it may say scan Rhides card, wait a sec and a printout will be churned out the slot on the left.

Bingo your in, if there’s an issue ask one of the chaps in orange for assistance.

OK so if all’s gone well you should have a little printout in your hand with location details that may say something like:

D140F2
Ignore the last F2 bit as that’s the box position in the stack.

The D140 is the important part.
Go to your map and look for the 140 position then go down section D and hey presto you should be close.

If there’s no crane in place try and line yourself up with the boxes as the crane will expect you to move as its dropped down on your twistlocks.
Don’t panic though the closer the box is as it comes down the easier it is to see.

Usually I’m pretty close to bang on as I’m in their a lot but sometimes I mess up, don’t worry just take your time positioning yourself to the box as it hovers over you.
Tip: Raise steering and lean out the window.
Tip 2 : Also check box number as its on the way down.
Tip 3: Once loaded ensure handbrake is on. Get out and check it’s on all the locks, then give crane driver the thumbs up.
Tip : Check crane us clear before pulling away, tbf the crane maybe long gone by this point.

OK now head for out gate, there’s signs on the cobbles for way out but if un doubt follow another truck.

Tip 47: if in doubt ask.

Once at the outgate canopy the checker will check your box seal and you can do up your licks and check it also.
If you want to look pro use the overhead mirrors to see the roof.

Now very important you will need to scan your Rhides card again twice then proceed to security exit who will let you go on your way, if you haven’t scanned your card you will have to go back in.

Hope this helps as its just a rough guide theres loafs more but it’s more than I had for my first time :wink:

Oh I should add if your collecting your Rhides card from the police pass office best way is ■■■■ gate 1 straight over roundabout then on the left, ask my mate Sid the seagull he is usually around there most of the day.

Oh and time on dock, fastest I’ve done is 25mins longest is 4 hours. Shift change at 7 am and pm, so expect delays if caught close to these times.

There’s also THA (temporary holding area) if you have to go there it will be on your ticket. Unfortunately my tickling finger is tired but there’s plenty of drivers to ask if you should need help there.
I won’t be at Felixstowe till Tuesday.

Oh and in my time I’ve done almost every cockup possible so don’t panic but crucially ensure twist locks are undone before unloading and haven’t bounced down whilst travelling to position empty.

Dipper_Dave:
Next screen will show collection box number then once confirmed you will be asked for the box pin number, 7 digit number.

Not always… letters can be used and the pin isn’t always 7 digits

This may help…

rhides.com/documents/haulierinformation.pdf

My bad, I’ve always had 7 digit numbers.

Thanks for all the useful advice. I appreciate all the work put into the lengthy replies.

I have been told to report to the yard at 5am Monday so don’t know when I will be getting to the docks.

Thanks again. I’ll look out for the seagull!

It’s a huge place and when you first go you might have trouble finding your way around, a map might help…

I was issued with this map when I first picked up my RHIDES card however it is contained within an information pamphlet and the print is very small and difficult to see, I had to scan the map and enlarge it in order to be able to read it clearly.

If you get lost, flag down one of the shunters - I did this a couple of times and found them to be friendly and willing to help.

Once you find your feet the job is a piece of cake.

Oh and watch your speed…they are pretty keen on enforcing the limits.

Good luck!

puggy:
Thanks for all the useful advice. I appreciate all the work put into the lengthy replies.

I have been told to report to the yard at 5am Monday so don’t know when I will be getting to the docks.

Thanks again. I’ll look out for the seagull!

If your lucky they might send someone with you as its your first time, if not dont panic, relax and if in doubt ask.
Best of luck youl be fine.

Everything that Dipper said…

All good advice. Last time I was there, Landgaurd had just opened.

To reiterate, you will have to move when your box comes down. A doddle if yer doing a twenty in the middle but, a little more care needed if yer doing a forty five on the front pins.

If you get a three pinner, just lock it down and by the time you get to the gate, it’ll have dropped on the fourth.

The police float around inside the dock area doing radar speed checks .