Poppy Day

I am a relative ‘newbie’ how does this site commemorate those ‘fallen’? I think that poppy day is on November 11th. In my living history I know of 5 members of my family who served in the armed forces (army, navy and home guard)

I always put a few pence into the tins. It’s one of the few tins that I hear the ‘rattle’ of.

Wear your poppy with pride!

runaroundtel:
I am a relative ‘newbie’ how does this site commemorate those ‘fallen’? I think that poppy day is on November 11th. In my living history I know of 5 members of my family who served in the armed forces (army, navy and home guard)

I always put a few pence into the tins. It’s one of the few tins that I hear the ‘rattle’ of.

Wear your poppy with pride!

Here Here, Lest we forget.

In Flanders’ Fields
John McCrae, 1915

In Flanders’ fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders’ fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders’ Fields.

always wear the poppy,we will never forget what they did for us.

we will remember them :cry:

I just had a row with a bloke selling Poppies. At my folks and he knocked on the door trying to sell 'em. I’d actually bought a couple from a bloke in town who didn’t hassle me for 'em. Is this a common practice? 'Cause I’ve never come across it. It’s like anything else in life. I fully support the ideas behind it, but I dislike it being forced down my throat - I do this because I want to and believe in the morals behind it. (Que Children In Need :unamused: ).

Liberace:
I just had a row with a bloke selling Poppies. At my folks and he knocked on the door trying to sell 'em. I’d actually bought a couple from a bloke in town who didn’t hassle me for 'em. Is this a common practice? 'Cause I’ve never come across it. It’s like anything else in life. I fully support the ideas behind it, but I dislike it being forced down my throat - I do this because I want to and believe in the morals behind it. (Que Children In Need :unamused: ).

I also bought mine from town and would
not want someone to knock on my door
and I have never come across it before also

It is in danger of trying to make money out of it.

Afterall our loyal, honourable MPs wanted to put out poppys on their expences, I mean my god have they no shame.

Its honourable to wear a poppy, to remember the sacrifice of millions for our future (although we seem less willing to sacrifice just a little of what they had to) and if it costs you a few pounds isnt it worth it, (critisising MPs etc…)

Hey… I was just mentioning a charity here, that seems to be pertinant to many. I did not ask the permission of those who run the Poppy Day appeal, to mention their appeal, I was only highlighting a cause that I always contribute to.
There are in fact very strict laws about the collection of monies for charitable purposes. All ‘tin rattling’ is guided by the organsiation collecting, and by law.
Charity is about choice of donation. If you get people knocking on your door asking for CASH … best thing is to say NO!

The bigger and more well known charities DO NOT do door to door collections for cash. The door to door bit is usually only asking for ongoing sponsorship.

My personal donation to the poppy day appeal, was not an endorsement of their collection methods, but of my own views regarding the organsiation and whom it benefits!

Everyone who collects for charity should have a licence… if in doubt. Check their licence and report them if needed.