Poppies.

This is the cascade of poppies at Woodhorn Mining Museum Ashington.
The exhibition is moving to another location on Nov.2nd, its well worth
a look. The schoolchildren have been posting their comments in one of the
buildings, very thought provoking.

kevmac47:
This is the cascade of poppies at Woodhorn Mining Museum Ashington.
The exhibition is moving to another location on Nov.2nd, its well worth
a look. The schoolchildren have been posting their comments in one of the
buildings, very thought provoking.10

These poppies were made in locally in Stoke on Trent, and there’s much disappointment around here that whoever organised the poppy tour did not include Stoke!

VERY GOOD ART ,but do not get the connection with coal miners , only the shaft lift, if it is called that ,yes poppy day, Flanders etc lost men from the mines,. from the war
.the money would have been better spent for the HEROES charity. my view…

bestbooties:
These poppies were made in locally in Stoke on Trent, and there’s much disappointment around here that whoever organised the poppy tour did not include Stoke!

Evening all,

Totally agree…but have you ever met the wassocks who organise these things?..Very few have any, any, common sense! And there is a strong element of “ego” involved…

But a truly moving display wherever it is shown.

Cheerio for now.

The daughter of a workmate of mine was an art student and as part of her practical course she designed and ran up some ties to raise money for the Poppy Appeal. They were sold round our factory and raised quite a few quid. When Dave sent the money in he received a snotty letter warning about
breach of copyright. The “Poppy Symbol” is protected and you have to seek permission to replicate it in any way commercially.
Seemed a bit harsh to me - a wild flower, HUH?? Jim.

In the complex is a roll of honour of miners who lost their lives in WW1.
A lot of pitmen died underneath the front line digging out tunnels to pack with explosives,
also the trenches were very often dug out by ex colliers serving with pioneer battalions.
Regards Kev.

jmc jnr:
The daughter of a workmate of mine was an art student and as part of her practical course she designed and ran up some ties to raise money for the Poppy Appeal. They were sold round our factory and raised quite a few quid. When Dave sent the money in he received a snotty letter warning about
breach of copyright. The “Poppy Symbol” is protected and you have to seek permission to replicate it in any way commercially.
Seemed a bit harsh to me - a wild flower, HUH?? Jim.

Images of a wild flower are fine, copying the style of the “poppy symbol” is not.

YES ok ,However who said that it is not fine to copy a poppy image, I total disagree ,not with you Roymondo, where does something like that come from, not Parliament or the Families of the lost during the 1st world war , no! some Origination “the British legion” maybe know there is a village in KENT that is the home of it ,to be honest , I will email them to see if I get any response.

this i

Trademarks

The Legion’s 2-petal poppy is a registered trademark and should not be used without permission. Additionally, as the national custodian of Remembrance the Legion will take action against companies who are deemed to be infringing its trademark by commercially benefiting from this during the Remembrance period, or at any other time.

To prevent being in breach and to follow best practice as required by the Charity Commission, it is essential to enter into a commercial partnership agreement with the Legion to obtain a licence.

Please call our contact centre on 0808 802 8080 regarding licensed use of our property or to report any infringements
s from the British legion site

I strongly suspect that this, rather than being a piece of control-freakery on the part of the Legion, is probably to prevent fly-by-nights selling armistice merchandise on the streets all November and running off with the proceeds. :wink: Robert

As you can see by the time that is from the British legion site, that’s me now no more poppies for m,e although family members were in the wa wars and survived not one ever bothered about poppy day, in FACT my Father-in-law passed away last year ,BOMBER COMMAND “WELLINGTONS” SURVIVED a complete tour +extra raids then 25 years service R.A.F warrant office,r master nav. Never once attended any parade ,or wore poppies. he would just say. load of B------S.if they want to fine.

I am pleased I am not the only ex driver, hiding away at the computer Robert
, i would rather be “punching” up the mountains with a goal at the end, window down, do not know if to change down or not, hoping the bloke in front keeps going, hes getting closer, will I change ,will I miss it ohh com on ,rev counter is dropping, engine is now starting to work harder ,starting to squirm a bit, getting closer. then no im sat indoors bored. do I miss it yes…

deckboypeggy:
I am pleased I am not the only ex driver, hiding away at the computer Robert
, i would rather be “punching” up the mountains with a goal at the end, window down, do not know if to change down or not, hoping the bloke in front keeps going, hes getting closer, will I change ,will I miss it ohh com on ,rev counter is dropping, engine is now starting to work harder ,starting to squirm a bit, getting closer. then no im sat indoors bored. do I miss it yes…

Yep! I can feel the old ■■■■■■■ losing torque, I’ll drop a gear in the Fuller and let him bide his time up front there. In any case, the afternoon is dying and I’ve just remembered a really good routiers stop just down the other side of the mountain. I’m nearly out of time so I’ll make an early finish, prop up the bar with a pre-prandial in the late sunshine. An early start will get me well into Spain tomorrow…

But I’m here at home with the laptop! :laughing: Robert