Poor Harry and other boat owners

the nodding donkey:
Yes Carryfast, if you google you can find examples of diesel powered speedboat. But unlike you, I do not rely on google, but actual hands on knowledge.

Your ‘hands on knowledge’ trumps reality.Fast diesel is a bit more than a few ‘examples’ from speedboats to large sports motor yachts ( and E Boats ).

Remind us what were the supposed large differences that you described diesel v petrol.

youtube.com/watch?v=iFAmHruwMN0

youtube.com/watch?v=qltlWTjUWb4

Franglais:

albion:

newmercman:
Surely just paying the duty on diesel is a far cheaper way to go forwards, rather than re-engineering the whole boat and the supporting infrastructure?

Yes, unless your carry fast.

But in fairness Harry does have a point, we (I can say that now :wink: ) are being asked to pay full price on diesel used for heating and cooking, no one else is.

True enough.
Although I believe Harry pointed out that for years, when the system was based on trusting purchasers to declare how much tax they owed, a few (not Harry and I’m sure you’re honest) took advantage and actually underpaid!
As a debutante you seem to be paying for the sins of those who have gone before. Biblical ain’t it?

That’s SOP for any fiddle, the majority just take their piece and all is good, no blips on the radar, then a few cane the arse out of it and the powers that be put a stop to it all.

newmercman:

Franglais:

albion:

newmercman:
Surely just paying the duty on diesel is a far cheaper way to go forwards, rather than re-engineering the whole boat and the supporting infrastructure?

But in fairness Harry does have a point, we (I can say that now :wink: ) are being asked to pay full price on diesel used for heating and cooking, no one else is.

True enough.
Although I believe Harry pointed out that for years, when the system was based on trusting purchasers to declare how much tax they owed, a few (not Harry and I’m sure you’re honest) took advantage and actually underpaid!
As a debutante you seem to be paying for the sins of those who have gone before. Biblical ain’t it?

That’s SOP for any fiddle, the majority just take their piece and all is good, no blips on the radar, then a few cane the arse out of it and the powers that be put a stop to it all.

And knowing someone else will be ‘caning it’, and it’ll end, then maybe almost everyone canes it while they can. So forcing an end to it.
All good ‘game theory’!

albion:

newmercman:

How does,replacing the diesel engine,especially if/when it’s knackered and due for replacement,with an electric motor and putting some batteries on board and filling a portable generator with red diesel using a couple of jerry cans.Fit the description of ‘‘re engineering the whole boat and the supporting infrastructure’’.

While the information has already been provided previously that it’s just enforcement of the rules regarding fuel used for propulsion.

newmercman:

Franglais:

Probably a lot more than a ‘few’,who can blame them and why would they have bothered with all the aggro,if paying the road fuel tax is no problem and economically viable ?.It’s clear that it’s the EU which is acting illegally here in charging road fuel taxes on boat fuel.

Carryfast:

albion:

newmercman:

How does,replacing the diesel engine,especially if/when it’s knackered and due for replacement,with an electric motor and putting some batteries on board and filling a portable generator with red diesel using a couple of jerry cans.Fit the description of ‘‘re engineering the whole boat and the supporting infrastructure’’.

While the information has already been provided previously that it’s just enforcement of the rules regarding fuel used for propulsion.

From the little I know, you will wait a long time to replace the engine, they aren’t terrifically sophisticated.

What a fantastic idea, let’s remove a diesel engine and replace it with an electric motor, oh and then add another diesel engine to generate the electricity needed to power the electric motor.

newmercman:
What a fantastic idea, let’s remove a diesel engine and replace it with an electric motor, oh and then add another diesel engine to generate the electricity needed to power the electric motor.

Yes because the diesel used to generate the electricity,to charge the batteries,that power the electric motor,is legally allowed red diesel.Unlike the white diesel needed to fuel the diesel engine. :bulb: :wink:

We’re going to need Harry to give us the figures for his and possibly generally that of other boaters’ typical yearly white diesel usage in that regard to get an idea of the viability of electric conversion.Maybe better for some than others in that regard depending on their travel usage ?.

If you spend a lot of time moored up then you use shore power, you don’t constantly run your main engine. As usual you’re making a mountain out of a molehill on a problem that doesn’t really exist and finding oddball solutions to that non existent problem.

newmercman:
If you spend a lot of time moored up then you use shore power, you don’t constantly run your main engine. As usual you’re making a mountain out of a molehill on a problem that doesn’t really exist and finding oddball solutions to that non existent problem.

To be pedantic, it depends on where you moor. Lots of people either continuously cruise or moor at the end of a field and virtually never have access to shoreline power.

albion:

newmercman:

To be pedantic, it depends on where you moor. Lots of people either continuously cruise or moor at the end of a field and virtually never have access to shoreline power.

Let’s get this right.What if we combine continuously cruise ‘and’ no access to a land hook up power supply when moored.We’ve got red diesel charging for the batteries for propulsion and the same generator also provides for the other power requirements for the boat.What’s not to like. :confused:

Carryfast:

albion:

newmercman:

Let’s get this right.What if we combine continuously cruise ‘and’ no access to a land hook up power supply when moored.We’ve got red diesel charging for the batteries for propulsion and the same generator also provides for the other power requirements for the boat.What’s not to like. :confused:

Faffing about changing to another system.

If you’re continually cruising then household power is provided by the engine? In which case you won’t need a secondary power source?

newmercman:
If you’re continually cruising then household power is provided by the engine? In which case you won’t need a secondary power source?

I think continuously cruise just means tramping from temporary mooring to temporary mooring they don’t generally potter about on the rivers and canals all through the night etc.While it’s clear that strict enforcement of white diesel used for propulsion is the issue and it all then depends on the maths.Especially in the case of the above scenario.( Relatively high use of propulsion fuel ? ).

albion:

Carryfast:

But surely maybe worth it depending on the maths.

Sorry, continuous cruising means that you dont have an official mooring so the license allows you to stop on the system for two weeks and then you have to move again.

Carryfast:

albion:

Carryfast:

But surely maybe worth it depending on the maths.

Like and worth are two different things. I dont like faffing and the hassle means that any monetary saving has to be considerable.

I would never have run trucks if I was interested in money :unamused:

I could’ve saved you all seven pages of ■■■■■■■■ here by providing the solution on page one; simply rename your vessel “The John Deere”, register it as a tractor and hey presto, run it on cherry all the time!

Maoster , it’s a public service to keep carry fast away from the EU threads, it gives other posters a breather.

the maoster:
I could’ve saved you all seven pages of ■■■■■■■■ here by providing the solution on page one; simply rename your vessel “The John Deere”, register it as a tractor and hey presto, run it on cherry all the time!

Not if it floats or goes on the public road.The tax Gestapo will be watching. :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=8BTcyIDx1Io

albion:
[ any monetary saving has to be considerable.

^ That is the key. :bulb:

Although if it was me I’d like the idea of a bit of extra aggro just to spite the establishment. :smiling_imp: :wink: