[POLL] Rate your skills reversing

Be honest, now :wink:

TruckDriverBen:
Be honest, now :wink:

Never killed anyoneā€¦
ā€¦yet.

That I`ve been found out for.

When I started I was the worldā€™s worst,.I did not learn to reverse until well after I passed my test.
I got to the stage just like other vastly experienced drivers where I could put a trailer in anywhere,ā€¦I used to even surprise myself sometimes. :sunglasses: :laughing:
However last few years,.Iā€™m experiencing upper arm tendon problems., that paired with the ā– ā– ā– ā–  poor driving position of the Craptros, like every other aspect of my lifeā€¦I aint as good as I used to be. :laughing:

With or without a reversing camera?

I put very good, obviously i donā€™t have the same issues to deal with as artic drivers but i have to reverse many times a day into very tight back alleys while avoiding the many selfishly parked (abandoned) cars.

Reversing a what? Assuming artic + 3 axle standard trailer Iā€™m about average. Some days better but mostly average

Then again I only reverse twice a day same places every time so hard to tell. WHen I occasionally go to a new place or somewhere I havenā€™t been in a long time I either nail it 1st ttime or struggle like a noob for 10 mins. Generally the more space the worse the struggle

On a Monday I can reverse it anywhere, but by Friday afternoon Iā€™ll probably need half a dozen shunts to do the same thing

Can put an artic anywhere. I was fortunate enough a couple of months after passing my test to get put on a job on agency shunting in a poxy small yard with a normal unit a few hours a day before going out on a night trunk, it was so small you could barely fit a ā– ā– ā–  paper between trailers and a fair bit of blindside reversing for some of the spots you dropped them. Did that for 6 months and it sorted out my reversing and I recommend doing shunting even for a week or two to someone who has just passed their test or is struggling with reversing.

Where Iā€™m at now the drivers they put through their apprenticeship scheme they have them shunting trailers around the yard for 3-4 weeks after passing their test so they can get their reversing figured out before being sent to do store deliveries as theresā€™s quite a few where theyā€™ve obviously walked around the town, gone ā€œwhich is the worst one to get an artic inā€ and gone for that.

Did try reversing an A frame drawbar for a while. Eventually managed to be able to reverse it in a straight line but any corners and I was screwed - ended up with a forklift towing it out of one spot. Mind you it didnā€™t help that it was much shorter than the unit pulling it.

Sorry Double post.

Conor:
Can put an artic anywhere. I was fortunate enough a couple of months after passing my test to get put on a job on agency shunting in a poxy small yard with a normal unit a few hours a day before going out on a night trunk, it was so small you could barely fit a ā– ā– ā–  paper between trailers and a fair bit of blindside reversing for some of the spots you dropped them. Did that for 6 months and it sorted out my reversing and I recommend doing shunting even for a week or two to someone who has just passed their test or is struggling with reversing.

Where Iā€™m at now the drivers they put through their apprenticeship scheme they have them shunting trailers around the yard for 3-4 weeks after passing their test so they can get their reversing figured out before being sent to do store deliveries as theresā€™s quite a few where theyā€™ve obviously walked around the town, gone ā€œwhich is the worst one to get an artic inā€ and gone for that.

Did try reversing an A frame drawbar for a while. Eventually managed to be able to reverse it in a straight line but any corners and I was screwed - ended up with a forklift towing it out of one spot. Mind you it didnā€™t help that it was much shorter than the unit pulling it.

I`ve never played with an ā€œAā€ Frame. Love to try it,
ā€¦provided there is no audience. :smiley:

PS. Early on, after I passed my test I had an Atki with no power steering, that made you concentrate on getting it right too. No swinging from lock to lock with that.

Iā€™m not the worlds worst but to my shame a shunter guy did have to say ā€œJust uncouple it over there old ā– ā– ā– ā–  and Iā€™ll put it onā€ - after I attempted to get on a bay about 6 times.

Never not got it in :smiley: Good side Iā€™m pretty good, blind side average at best, try to do at least 1 every day to keep the standard above dreadful :laughing: A frame, was pretty decent at that in my school days but that was an agricultural tractor that you could just turn in the seat to see where it was going. Could go backwards with a trailer before I could even drive a car!

It was tighter than a gnats chuff

The tighter the space the better I am it seems :open_mouth:

I used to collect for groupage to Ireland and the hub wasā€¦ tightā€¦ to say the last. ā– ā– ā–  papers between bays, yard built built before artics etc etc. Always got on thd Bay no issue apart from once when I turned up, all the bays were empty and it took Mr a few attempts to get on :laughing:

Blindside Iā€™m fine. So much time on the continent straightened that one out.

Franglais:

Conor:

I`ve never played with an ā€œAā€ Frame. Love to try it,
ā€¦provided there is no audience. :smiley:

PS. Early on, after I passed my test I had an Atki with no power steering, that made you concentrate on getting it right too. No swinging from lock to lock with that.

Love to see some of the persistent oversteerers on one of those. Theyā€™d be knackered in more ways than one.

Like you Iā€™d always fancied a go with an A frame.
Luckily before I retired I got plenty of goes.
Its certainly not easy to start with but like anything else the more practice the easier it gets.

As for reversing never really had a problem although
latterly for some reason I lost some confidence in the dark. Probably the old mincers starting to fail.

A more accurate thread title would be pictures of your near side front step :open_mouth:

20 billy bullers

blue estate:
20 billy bullers

I am number 21 :wink:

jakethesnake:
Like you Iā€™d always fancied a go with an A frame.
Luckily before I retired I got plenty of goes.
Its certainly not easy to start with but like anything else the more practice the easier it gets.

As for reversing never really had a problem although
latterly for some reason I lost some confidence in the dark. Probably the old mincers starting to fail.

The guy who owned it was an owner driver who was a friend of my uncle. It sat in his yard for a couple of years because he couldnā€™t do anything with it. My uncle took him on the docks with a pile of cones and had him reversing it for a weekend. I guess it eventually clicked, he could put that thing in places you couldnā€™t get an artic in. I thank him for only mildly taking the mick out of me when I told him I had to get it towed out. It was such a traumatic experience I still remember the place to this dayā€¦
google.co.uk/maps/place/Oss ā€¦ d-1.578877

Used to be a timber merchants 20 odd years ago. I pulled in, turned right expecting to just have to reverse backwards in a straight line, tip and drive out. I could handle that. But no they wanted me to pull round the corner and tip round the side. And that was that, buggered. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whole thing was a pain in the arse though, even the lorry, a C reg Scania 82H, had a gearchange Iā€™ve never seen before or ever seen since. It was a 4 speed range change and split. First six gearchanges worked how you expectā€¦1 low, 1hug, 2 low, 2 high, 3rd low, 3rd high, 4th low, 4th high change range and go through them again but 7th and 8th different story. You think youā€™d go 7th low, 7th high, 8th low, 8th high but you didnā€™tā€¦it was 7 low, 8 low, 7th high, 8th high like it had an overdrive box on like the old Triumph cars used to.

Iā€™d say very good.
Iā€™ve had to reverse pretty much every trailer including a-frame trailers.
So Iā€™m kinda like a legend at reversing.

When the drivers in the office tell the clerkā€™s that they canā€™t deliver here because itā€™s too tight they point at me and say well he done it loads of time. Then the drivers looks at my in awe. Reassured that itā€™s doable and he doesnā€™t have to go out with one less drop.
Iā€™m very popular at work.