[POLL] Rate your skills as a driver

As I often remind/goad Carryfast over for most driving jobs your actual skill at driving isn’t all that important. As long as you’re not hitting something weekly companies aren’t all that bothered as long as you get the job done. Can be an amazing driver but a crap employee and you can get away with quite a lot if you’re a good employee that they want to hang on to, which frankly seeems to be ever rarer these days

Clearly I’m great

switchlogic:
As I often remind/goad Carryfast over for most driving jobs your actual skill at driving isn’t all that important. As long as you’re not hitting something weekly companies aren’t all that bothered as long as you get the job done. Can be an amazing driver but a crap employee and you can get away with quite a lot if you’re a good employee that they want to hang on to, which frankly seeems to be ever rarer these days

We had a guy like that at my place. He was bar far the best at reversing A-trailers. He could put them anywhere. He knew the trucks inside and out. But he refused to do deliveries. According to him his only job was dropping off trailers.

I voted ‘above average’ as in fifty years of driving I have never had a blameworthy accident, however I have noticed rather a lot of them in my rear view mirrors. :confused: :wink: We had a driver who proudly displayed his ‘Institute of Advanced Motorists’ badge on the front panel of his truck, when he smacked a car up the rear after it stopped and he didn’t one comment from a fellow driver was “a good job you had your IAM badge mounted high or you could have damaged it”. :laughing:

Pete.

I set low standards…and fail to achieve them.

But God loves a tryer

Do we all know about Dunning Kruger syndrome?

I am good and I know it because lots of other drivers stick one finger up at me so I must be number one in a lot of peoples eyes :wink:

alamcculloch:
Most people see themselves as above average, and that is not mathematically possible.

As a mathematician, I disagree. You can be a total outlier; multiples above the average.

The problem is in the use of averages. :wink: Let’s see what the median and range is…

I voted “very good”. Not my opinion. I thank the ex-Police instructor I had when I learned to drive, and both my parents who are both IAM. After the last week of training/assessment I’m pleased to say I’m maintaining standards after 20+ years. :smiley:

robroy:
It does not matter a [zb] if you hold the best skills in the world to actually drive a truck.
If you have no empathy, courtesy, or consideration towards your fellow truck drivers and other road users,.then you are a crap driver. …end of.

A Class 1 licence doth not a driver make …as Shakespeare once said. :smiley:

Did he also say, “beware the ides of some clown in a sprinter, sitting in your blind spot as you try to return to lane 1”?

I voted poor btw, as there was no woeful option.