POLL: How much would it take?

How much would you need to win on the lottery before you quit your job?

I said half a mil, but all that means is I would give up driving. Would still need to work but could get away with a lower paid job. Anything less in this day and age would only keep the wolves from the door, no more imho

OVLOV JAY:
Anything less (than £500,000) in this day and age would only keep the wolves from the door, no more imho

I suppose that would depend on your stage of life and how much wealth, if any, that you had already accumulated.

If you were 60 years old and mortgage free, would you still want £500,000 before you hung up your keys?

Last night I won £8.60 :sunglasses: so I’ve quit :laughing: the trucks running, :smiley: the windows are down :wink: and the radios getting bored of singing to itself! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: joking aside, I would need £2,000,000 as to buy something I want is £1,000,000 which involves running a business where you charge £25 a day per person you ■■? Not giving that away! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: but there’s a house that goes with it and in a leafy and affluent part of Oxfordshire! :wink: £1,000,000 in the bank to live off the interest! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: plus the licence would go back to dvla to take off class one entitlement with a big one fingered salute and a message of THANKS! :laughing: I can’t understand why most people are money mad? :bulb: you want to see them up wilmslow and alderley edge? :grimacing: miserable as sin, with the weight of the world on THEIR shoulders! :wink:

I don’t get these folk that win 5-10mil on the lottery then go back flipping burgers in mcd’s or cleaning bogs out for about £6 an hour saying, “this win won’t change our lives” :unamused: people like that don’t deserve to win the lottery and I don’t know why they bother playing it.

Based on my current situation. 500,000 would be more than enough to retire comfortably

Tipper Tom:
Based on my current situation. 500,000 would be more than enough to retire comfortably

You’ve got more than enough money to retire already judgeing by your lass! :wink: :grimacing:

More than 10 million! For loss of potential earnings on the wagons! :laughing:

I don’t think id ever quit driving trucks (coming from a newbie). If I won millions I would take a VERY long holiday somewhere and buy lots of fancy houses/cars/etc but I also think id buy myself a right fancy truck, kit it out to the hilt and do a bit of owner driving once in a blue moon (would have to be on the continent) For that to happen I’d have to win at least 10 million, after sorting out family members and buying all things nice and shines there wouldn’t be much change left. Would probably have to win the euro millions.

If I won 1-2 million I would probably still have to do some form of work, being relatively young, having a young family and the way my Mrs spends money. 5-10 million and I doubt I’d lift a finger again.

I always laugh at these rich people saying money doesn’t bring you happiness, they might be right but I would like the chance to find out for myself. That said I’ve put £250,000, plenty to see me pack it all in never to work again. I’ve always told younger people to get into property when they can, without over extending themselves,not easy these days I know, but you make money on it. I don’t do the lottery so it’s not going to happen anyway.

I don’t want to win the lottery. I like my life as it is, give or take, and I can only imagine it getting a lot worse if I won a massive amount of money. I imagine everyone I’ve ever known would suddenly appear out of the woodwork on the scrounge, and it would create a barrier between me and my friends, and possibly even my family. I can understand why people say “it won’t change our lives”; what I can’t understand is why they do it in the first place. I don’t and I never have.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I don’t get these folk that win 5-10mil on the lottery then go back flipping burgers in mcd’s or cleaning bogs out for about £6 an hour saying, “this win won’t change our lives” :unamused: people like that don’t deserve to win the lottery and I don’t know why they bother playing it.

A couple near us won something ridiculous last year (approx £48 million) they were being interviewed on the radio and were asked if they had any plans for the money, She replied “we need a new stairs carpet” WT actual F !!! She can still be seen today buying items from the Whoops shelf, I seriously think it hasn’t hit her yet just how rich they are. :open_mouth:

Darb:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

A couple near us won something ridiculous last year (approx £48 million) they were being interviewed on the radio and were asked if they had any plans for the money, She replied “we need a new stairs carpet” WT actual F !!! She can still be seen today buying items from the Whoops shelf, I seriously think it hasn’t hit her yet just how rich they are. :open_mouth:

Surely that’s better than just moving to a massive house in the country away from all their friends and living among people who will - like as not - despise them for being vulgar nouveaux riche types? That’s what happened to the first guy who one a really big jackpot, the asian guy from Lancashire who won 17.6 mill. I remember reading an interview with him a year or so after his win and he said he was far happier the way he used to be.
It strikes me as eminently sensible to take time to get used to the idea that you’re suddenly richer than you ever dreamed. If that means shopping from the Whoops shelf and buying new stair carpets, good luck to them.

If I won on the lottery it would not change my life at all …

Till I sobered up…

Then watch this space .LOL

1 million.

Use 500k to invest to provide an income, say £4k a month, and live a normal but lazy life. (4 houses to rent out and 5 private hire cars to rent out to cabbies)

350k on the house, cars and helping poople out.

150k put away in high interest and forgotten about.

Hiya…i know half a million sounds really nice.you don,t really need alot…MORE IS BEST.
i worked out about 15 years ago i was earing 25k. work out 25x15= 275 less the tax, about 92 000
=183 000 . thats all i was going to earn in the last 15 years. i know you are at home so need money
to go out. anyhow 12 years have gone by now, i’ve still not won the lottery so in my book IF i’d have
won £183,000 12 years ago i’d have been just as well off as i am today. perhaps worse as i’d have lost
money in the crash with the loss in intrest…keep dreaming…now the bad bit. i always worked like mad,
i have a brother who just did his bit, like at 5pm he was wandering off home( he didn’t have a rush in
him then) my old mother always said you’ll look after Pete when i’am gone please…Bloody hell Pete,s
missus won 4 million the week after our mum passed away, ■■■■ i bet she never said look after john please.
they give me a £1000 Petes wife was in a cyndicate of ten, they still scooped 400,000 each.yes they still work.
tight sods.
John

As already mentioned, it depends on your stage of life and how well you are doing at the moment. I voted 250k, I’m nearly fifty and only a few years left on my small mortgage. I also live up north so the cost of living is a lot less.

3300John:
Hiya…i know half a million sounds really nice.you don,t really need alot…MORE IS BEST.
i worked out about 15 years ago i was earing 25k. work out 25x15= 275 less the tax, about 92 000
=183 000 . thats all i was going to earn in the last 15 years. i know you are at home so need money
to go out. anyhow 12 years have gone by now, i’ve still not won the lottery so in my book IF i’d have
won £183,000 12 years ago i’d have been just as well off as i am today. perhaps worse as i’d have lost
money in the crash with the loss in intrest…keep dreaming…now the bad bit. i always worked like mad,
i have a brother who just did his bit, like at 5pm he was wandering off home( he didn’t have a rush in
him then) my old mother always said you’ll look after Pete when i’am gone please…Bloody hell Pete,s
missus won 4 million the week after our mum passed away, [zb] i bet she never said look after john please.
they give me a £1000 Petes wife was in a cyndicate of ten, they still scooped 400,000 each.yes they still work.
tight sods.
John

yes lads… i’am mortgage and children free, only two years untill i get my old age pension… some of you
younger lads will say i’d ilke some of that, you wouldn’t like the creeks and bangs coming from my knees
and finger joints.

Fatboy slimslow:
Last night I won £8.60 :sunglasses: so I’ve quit :laughing: the trucks running, :smiley: the windows are down :wink: and the radios getting bored of singing to itself! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: joking aside, I would need £2,000,000 as to buy something I want is £1,000,000 which involves running a business where you charge £25 a day per person you ■■? Not giving that away! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: but there’s a house that goes with it and in a leafy and affluent part of Oxfordshire! :wink: £1,000,000 in the bank to live off the interest! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: plus the licence would go back to dvla to take off class one entitlement with a big one fingered salute and a message of THANKS! :laughing: I can’t understand why most people are money mad? :bulb: you want to see them up wilmslow and alderley edge? :grimacing: miserable as sin, with the weight of the world on THEIR shoulders! :wink:

Running your own fishery? The joys