POLL: Are you in debt?

After the recent credit card thread, I was just wondering what percentage of us are in debt and how bad?

So excluding mortgage, how much are you in debt; loans, credit cards, overdrafts, car finance, lay-ons from drug dealers etc?

I have no debts other than my mortgage… but it hasn’t always been that way.

Debt free now (apart from small balance on credit card) been in debt for 15 years prior to this though.

I have the ■■■ end of an unwisely maxed credit card, and my overdraft. And my mortgage, which I’m not counting.

Mortgage paid and no debts whatsoever :smiley:

Apart from mortgage

I have no debt, never had a credit card, only ever had finance once on my first car 15 year ago.

I do sometimes wonder if I should get a credit card for emergencies though.

Excluding my mortgage?

£0

Only debt I have is my car got 1 year left on it

How many of the “no debt whatsoever” majority still live at home with mummy? :laughing:

Ive got abou 1200 quid in my credit card as i just moved in to a new place after splitting up witg wife then staying at my mums and didnt have much in the way of furniture but will have it paid off by the end of december.
Keep my credit card for emergencys like this.

I owe £177 to some company who bought the debt off the TSB, it is from years ago.

Funny thing is I re-opened a TSB account this year and have quite a nice balance in that.(they didn’t mention my debt account, think details were wiped as years had past?)
The debt started out by me going like £17 over drawn and they done the usual excess charges, so refused to pay the criminals.

tachograph:

snap :grimacing:

Contraflow:
How many of the “no debt whatsoever” majority still live at home with mummy? :laughing:

Hardly,two houses,one just bought last month,for cash,money out balance on statement was ‘interesting’,been in debt once ages ago,banks/lenders were bad ‘people to work for’ then,and judging by news still coming about them worse now,old fashioned but if you want something pay for it,problem is most housing/utility bills are out of kilter with most incomes.

Debt? Only once on first credit card with limit of £400.Bought 750 Honda motorbike and paid a fortune in interest.
Taught me a great lesson.
No debt,no mortgages, own 2 houses one rented and one lived in and semi retired so only work when it suits me and not even 60 yet.
Its a great life,pity about today’s driving standards though.

tachograph:

+1 never had a credit card either, only ever bought things if I had the cash. I count myself lucky and feel sorry for young un’s starting out on the rocky road now.

My only debt is my mortgage (8 yrs left), very rarely use my credit card so that’s clear, oh but i do owe my mate a fiver thanks to England losing the first test.

This very interesting, seems the majority of lorry drivers don’t like debt and avoid buying stuff on credit to get themselves into any.

I wonder why lorry drivers differ so much from those in other ‘working class’ jobs who seem to be always buying themselves, even their spoiled kids, new cars and swanning off to foreign holiday climes on the credit/debt spiral, are lorry drivers more down to earth, indeed maybe less inclined to think they’re something they’re not and not under some illusion they can live the celebrity lifestyle on a normal wage.

I’d hazard a guess that those minority in debt have a mrs or significant other who think the Croydon money trees really exist.

Juddian:
This very interesting, seems the majority of lorry drivers don’t like debt and avoid buying stuff on credit to get themselves into any.

I learnt my lesson a fair few years ago that’s why.

Juddian:

I wonder why lorry drivers differ so much from those in other ‘working class’ jobs who seem to be always buying themselves, even their spoiled kids, new cars and swanning off to foreign holiday climes on the credit/debt spiral, are lorry drivers more down to earth, indeed maybe less inclined to think they’re something they’re not and not under some illusion they can live the celebrity lifestyle on a normal wage.

I’d hazard a guess that those minority in debt have a mrs or significant other who think the Croydon money trees really exist.

I don’t think its a lorry driver thing

We have a mortgage - and finance on the reasonably priced car-- bills are all on direct debit everything else we pay for cash or on the debit card- we don’t have the cash we don’t get it, and save until we have enough. We worked out before we took any finance out (Car/mortgage etc) that we could afford on a single wage if either of us lost our jobs

We don’t do expensive holidays- or buy stuff on tick, end result is we have cash in the bank, and a few grand put away for a rainy season - when something breaks (like our boiler earlier this year) the £1200 it cost didn’t hurt as we had the money in the bank to cover it- we could have spent that £1200 on a nice family holiday for short term gain, - but would have been screwed when the boiler went bang

Also we have no issue buying pre-owned stuff, we have an immaculate leather 3 piece suite - £70 of Ebay and a few beers to borrow me mates trailer to pick it up
#1 daughter is the envy of her mates at school as she has a Blackberry phone- £35 quid reconditioned of Ebay and a free PAYG sim card

Juddian:

think you will find truck drivers have a truth stretching ability when it comes to faceless forams ?