Polishing up the diesel tanks

Can any-one suggest the best method / product to polish up the diesel tanks on the truck :question:
The truck isn’t that old … but the tanks have never been polished … so starting from “scratch”.

I’ve got my tin-hat ready for the comments about joining the “tank polishing” brigade :wink:

Thought I might just join this club … well there is only so much ■■■■ you can watch on the lap-top :laughing:
Was sat for 16hrs the other night … tipped at Sittingbourne @ 4pm … wasn’t loading @ Faversham until 11am next morning … the joys of fridge work :unamused:

Buy some elbow grease.

Could use Autosol Metal Polish with plenty of elbow grease or you could use a better quality polish like Meguiars NXT Generation All Metal Polish…If you got access to a variable speed buffer makes life a lot easier… :grimacing:

Only issue is the jack boots of DVSA will view it as working when your on break or rest period

Peak is as good as any, cheapest regular source of which i’ve found is Chemiclean Birmigham.
Cheaper than its rival Autosol, and about the same performance IMO.

Once you get it up to a decent shine, its worth waxing with a hard wax designed for car wheels, the finish will last a lot longer then before needing a recut.

Other stuff like Britemax and White Diamond are better, and leave a longer lasting finish, you use less but they are a serious price, which the company might baulk at reimbursing/supplying.

No, i’m not bothered what others say either, mine’s only a lowly fleet spec motor but i’m still taking a pride in me work and me working equipment no matter how hard they try to knock it out of you.
■■■■ taking works the other way, if it annoys them that you do it then do it more :laughing: .

Punchy Dan, my Mrs swears by Elbow Grease, its brill for oily/fatty cooking spillages and makes short work of bloody 5th wheel grease, really cheap when you buy it a dozen bottles at a time…by the way do not confuse this with another Elbow Grease you can buy which is a ■■■ lube apparently (not tried can’t comment, too old anyway :smiling_imp: ), squirting the cleaner EG onto your tackle may not have quite the desired effect… :open_mouth:

Before I tie my gag around my gob to stop me taking the ■■■■ (as usual) out of you guys with the rags in your mitts when parked up :unamused: :laughing:

Juddian I’m shocked and stunned :open_mouth: … I never had you down as a tank polishing type of a guy :open_mouth: .
I know your game though, you are only trying to steal the limelight off me from when I ‘Came Out’ on here as a tassled curtain user :blush: …I’ve got your card marked you ■■■■■, and I’ll scratch yer eyes out.
(Mincing away like a drama queen with back of hand on forehead. :smiley: )

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Robroy, you’re not taking ALL the young lads under your wing don’t be such a greedy old queen :sunglasses: , i’ll see your mince and raise it 3 pouts and a flounce so pucker up… :smiling_imp:

Jesus’s Robroy and Juddian have gone right down in my old school drivers list.

Robroy with tassle curtains on the scania.
Juddian buffing his tanks while loading in Dagnhem.

Just can’t picture it.

Nips to work, grabs hard hat, dons said hard hat.

Wheels too… :sunglasses:

In mitigation i work embarrasingly short enough hours as it is, if i didn’t do summat like this and keeping me kit clean i wouldn’t dare put me WDT sheet in, 31 hours this week including wash downs but no polishing.

Themoocher:
Jesus’s Robroy and Juddian have gone right down in my old school drivers list.

Robroy with tassle curtains on the scania.
Juddian buffing his tanks while loading in Dagnhem.

Just can’t picture it.

Could still find my way around a 13 speed Fuller, and put two 30x20s and a drip on a flat fully roped. So don’t lose too much faith in me. (for the new age truckers I’m on about g.boxes and sheets :smiley: )

Could not simply be arsed to spend my spare time with a rag and Mr Sheen on tanks and ■■■■ wheels, life is too short and the pubs are open in the evenings.
Anyway, I have not got the time as given the choice, I would prefer to clean out my belly button . :smiley:
As for the interior, (cab not belly button) it would impress a RSM in a Guards Regiment. :sunglasses:

Putting my gag back on now boys, so fill yer boots .

The op could try finding a cheap air driven DA sander and hook it up to the airline.
Or take a look at Clas Ohlson they have a variable speed electric polisher on offer m.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-HP-1 … er/18-3578

Before anyone slates me, these where recommended for buffing the cars paintwork, and half the price of the highly recommend DAS 6 pro polisher. Any of which you’ll have to buy additional pads for

We had the wheels and tank painted/ stoved shiny black ! Then jet wash and forget.
Far more things to do than sodding polish outside.
But the ex missus kept our cab spotless and dust free , I think we must have kept the Pledge factory in overtime, but the fold out BBQ was my domain to keep clean and tidy after use outside.

ChunkyChunk:
Only issue is the jack boots of DVSA will view it as working when your on break or rest period

No they really don’t. :unamused:

F-reds:

ChunkyChunk:
Only issue is the jack boots of DVSA, who will view it as working when your on break or rest period

No they really don’t. :unamused:

Don’t dismiss the myth mate, I’ve heard that a driver got done for readjusting a single buckle while on break! :laughing:

You can always come round and paint the front of my house,… And I will buy you a pack of four and appreciate your effort… Your Boss won’t

Can see how you can be nicked for polishing your tank on a break. It’s a break from driving, nothing in the rules says you have to sit on your hands

Double post…maybe the Guy ain’t got a girlfriend…

Juddian:
In mitigation i work embarrasingly short enough hours as it is, if i didn’t do summat like this and keeping me kit clean i wouldn’t dare put me WDT sheet in, 31 hours this week including wash downs but no polishing.

Ask yourself this Juddian, is it always you that reports that the pressure/truck washer has broken down? :open_mouth:

OVLOV JAY:
Can see how you can be nicked for polishing your tank on a break. It’s a break from driving, nothing in the rules says you have to sit on your hands

It could be classed by an over zealous DLVA officer as maintenance work. You could probably successfully argue insanity, may be some sort of OCD where having a shiny tank is important for you to function, however that could be dangerous, they may decide you are too insane to be in charge of such a large vehicle.

Bluey Circles:

OVLOV JAY:

It could be classed by an over zealous DLVA officer as maintenance work. You could probably successfully argue insanity, may be some sort of OCD where having a shiny tank is important for you to function, however that could be dangerous, they may decide you are too insane to be in charge of such a large vehicle.

What if Robroy whips out his sewing machine and knocks himself up a new set of tasseled curtains while on break? :open_mouth:

As long as he’s not driving it’s all good :wink: