Polish-friendly DCPC online?

This is a massive long shot, and this post isn’t meant as a joke, but for those who will say this just makes a mockery of a system which is already a joke, I am in agreement, so please, no spleen-venting, I’m just looking to help someone out here.

I’m acquainted with a UK-resident Polish driver who needs to renew his DQC next month, his language skills are very limited indeed ( :open_mouth: )
Does anyone know any outfit who are well-disposed to dealing with overseas drivers with language difficulties? Perhaps a bi-lingual instructor?

He’s a decent lad and a more than decent driver, and he’d appreciate some help if anyone is aware of where he can find it.

This goes against my normal nature but if he can’t speak the language how can he be in a position to obtain the necessary legally required training to continue in this profession in this country? Good driver, good lad, or not…

On the flipside I can’t say I’ve ever taken anything meaningful in terms of knowledge away from a CPC course anyway and the bar is so low that just attending is good enough so just pop him on an English one. He’ll learn nothing but that’s no difference to many native speakers either such is the absolute bullswine the current CPC format is in.

I can only…

Echo toonsy, stick him on any course.

If he can switch on a PC or enter a classroom, he’s passed.

I’ll put the boot on the other foot. I’m a Brit living in Poland (Polish wife) and last month needed to renew my CPC. I had a choice of languages to do the course in, well to be more precise I had 2 choices… Polish or Russian.
My Polish although limited is better than my Russian so opted for the Polish option.
I’ve struggled and still am trying to learn Polish but accept that if I wish to live and more importantly work here then I need to be able to at least understand what my boss and my other co workers are saying to me.
Out of interest what licence is your friend using and how long has he been working in the UK?

his language skills are very limited indeed
Can he read English? If he can not read English, then how can he read a delivery note or follow a map?

I wouldn’t worry for one minute about it, the systems not fit for purpose anyway.

All he has to do is show up, bring his licence & that with him & sign the register. Judging by the standard of the average trainer i doubt they will be that worried about it as long as he attends.

You could always phone around a few training providers for him and ask.

Did they stop doing it online now? Could be an option?

SWEDISH BLUE:
his language skills are very limited indeed
Can he read English? If he can not read English, then how can he read a delivery note or follow a map?

I thought you had to speak polish to drive a lorry in this country.

SWEDISH BLUE:
If he can not read English, then how can he read a delivery note or follow a map?

Same way Brit drivers do in Europe. BigBox Leeds on a delivery note = Leeds on the map = BigBox on the sign.

In fact, you don’t really need to speak any language to read a map, so long as it’s written in the same alphabet as your native language. And even then you can get by simply by matching symbols.

I was thinking he might have problems being accepted on a course - the trainer might object to the fact that he couldn’t have a half-decent verbal exchange with the driver, and if that course was audited by JAUPT it could cause problems for the trainer.

Truthfully, I personally wouldn’t have taken him on with such limited language ability, but it wasn’t my call to make; plus he only has a limited number of sites to drive to and hasn’t failed to find any of them, and yes I do believe if you’re going to become resident in a country you should learn the language.

Zac_A:
I was thinking he might have problems being accepted on a course - the trainer might object to the fact that he couldn’t have a half-decent verbal exchange with the driver, and if that course was audited by JAUPT it could cause problems for the trainer.

Truthfully, I personally wouldn’t have taken him on with such limited language ability, but it wasn’t my call to make; plus he only has a limited number of sites to drive to and hasn’t failed to find any of them, and yes I do believe if you’re going to become resident in a country you should learn the language.

Is he on a UK Licence? If he’s on a Polish licence I don’t believe he’ll be able to have the UK CPC transferred to the Polish licence.

barrykam:

Zac_A:

Is he on a UK Licence? If he’s on a Polish licence I don’t believe he’ll be able to have the UK CPC transferred to the Polish licence.

As I understand it, you`re correct.
DCPC passed pre 01/01/2021 in the UK are recognised by EU countries, but any passed after this date are not automatically recognised. Same with transferring driving licences*.
If said driver has been resident in the UK for 6 months then he should have already transferred his licence to a UK one.

*The UK needs to reach agreement with each EU country separately in this regard. Since each country has its own rules on standards (in spite of what some believe) as evidenced by the laughable standard of DCPC in the UK compared with other countries, it is for each country to decide whether or not to recognise another countrys tests. Once they do decide to issue a licence or DCPC that will be recognised by all EU countries.

Might be worth your chap asking on any Polish language forums for UK resident Poles, might be able to team up with another Polish driver needing DCPC who could help translate for him during the course, good luck trying to explain that to him :wink: maybe type it out and get the wordwide goggle spy network to translate.

The English language skills of some of the former EE drivers i work with both spoken and written make some of our natives look positively illiterate, its rare to find a Pole resident here so lacking in English.