polish drivers

Any one know why there so many Polish drivers being sent over and trained up to drive HGV then given jobs, when there’s loads of British chaps looking for work ?

The hard fact is that they will do any work, no matter how hard or antisocial, and work the max hours without moaning. They tend to have the work ethic that Brits had 40 years ago before the unions changed our mindsets.

Two other points; there are SOME Brits that have a superb work ethic so they are not included in the above. Also, the Poles WILL NOT work cheap as is always thought. They demand a fair wage but are not afraid to work for it.

I recently had to reschedule a course as the candidate made it clear that reaching me at 7.30 in the morning having driven 20 miles was out of the question. He will go far as a truck driver!!

As we Brits get our act together again (and it’s beginning to happen) we will find it so much easier to get and keep work.

Tin hat on…

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe it’s because they’re prepared to get off their butts and work with out having the attitude of “I won’t get out of kin bed unless it’s £10ph +

Yea I got nothing against them, just wondered why the government getting so many poles over here. It’s fair to admit there are a lot of Brits that don’t want to work. They would rather be Mongs. They need a kick up the ■■■

madcarl21:
Yea I got nothing against them, just wondered why the government getting so many poles over here. It’s fair to admit there are a lot of Brits that don’t want to work. They would rather be Mongs. They need a kick up the ■■■

How is the government getting them over?

They aren’t all Polish…
But who is being sent over then trained in LGV and given jobs? I thought they come here to start a new life already equipped with HGV entitlement, to work hard, raise families and pay their way? Well a good majority anyway.

I don’t care what people say, if you want a job then you can get one. Perhaps not the one you dreamt of but you must start somewhere. I mean we all done something we hated before we became drivers, well I did.

Peter Smythe:
The hard fact is that they will do any work, no matter how hard or antisocial, and work the max hours without moaning. They tend to have the work ethic that Brits had 40 years ago before the unions changed our mindsets.

Two other points; there are SOME Brits that have a superb work ethic so they are not included in the above. Also, the Poles WILL NOT work cheap as is always thought. They demand a fair wage but are not afraid to work for it.

I recently had to reschedule a course as the candidate made it clear that reaching me at 7.30 in the morning having driven 20 miles was out of the question. He will go far as a truck driver!!

As we Brits get our act together again (and it’s beginning to happen) we will find it so much easier to get and keep work.

Tin hat on…

Hi Pete.

Would you care to share with us the figures on the diversity of your workforce?

How many do you employ? I reckon it’s under 10 but more than 5. Do you employ any Muslims? Any Coloureds? Any homosexuals perhaps?

I bet you employ some women, but I bet you put them in stereotypical womens jobs, like a secretary.

Are you a sexist ,racist, homophobic, ageist employer?

Pete, there aren’t “SOME” Brits with a strong work ethic, there’s loads of us. Of all the folk I closely work with (about 30) there’s only 2 who I think are problems, one’s a Pole with a serious drink problem, the other is a Brit with both a serious drink problem & an attitude that he stole from a spoilt 12yr old girl.

The Poles are here because they can earn up to 4x what they can back home. If we Brits could earn 4x over there then guess where we’d all be.

The problem is Pete, that the Poles can earn their 4x & undercut what we’ve become used to. We’ve suffered a pay cut to accommodate their pay rise!

Can you imagine Petre Smythski LGV’ski Trainingski relocating from downtown Gdansk to Worksop & flogging LGV C courses for £500?

This is the danger with generalisations. I will accept that there are many Brits with a perfectly sound work ethic. But I speak as I find and I’ve found that the Poles I have come across also have a very strong work ethic.

So far as diversity in my staff: until recently I employed a female instructor for a number of years (fully qualified on all vehicles, all classes) both in vehicles and in the classroom. I certainly wouldn’t pigeon-hole people by gender, race, religion or ■■■■■■ orientation.

No gays ! Lol jokes

For the record, and I have mentioned it several times in my short time on this fine forum.
I looked after a large warehouse of forklift trucks with a opportunity of overtime of a Saturday (4 hours time and a half) It was a job and I needed it and I worked hard at it as I am proud of the work I do, with a basic 37.30 hours a week.
I then had the opportunity to drive a class 2 that I had dormant for 27 years for the same company .
This has now entailed me (with a rise) working 50 hours a week, no including nights out.
I think this is reasonable.

Or maybe I am deluded to how much of my life should be spent at work or at home :neutral_face:

macci:
Maybe it’s because they’re prepared to get off their butts and work with out having the attitude of “I won’t get out of kin bed unless it’s £10ph +

At what point would you stop getting out of bed?

…or would you gladly get out of bed and drive an artic for minimum wage?

Chas… I’m impressed you used the word ‘coloureds’…lol havent heard that in a long time.

Contraflow:

macci:

Just wondering as I’m a newbie, what is the average per hour rate for artic ? I should hope it’s more than 10ph. But never know! HGV mechanics start on 15ph and yet that don’t seem as hard as driving a artic. But I only ever driven artic for 15 hours in total. And never worked on there engines so I can’t judge

Contraflow:

macci:

Minimum wage? WTF are you talking about? Is £10ph set as a minimum wage?

madcarl21:

Contraflow:

macci:

Just wondering as I’m a newbie, what is the average per hour rate for artic ? I should hope it’s more than 10ph. But never know! HGV mechanics start on 15ph and yet that don’t seem as hard as driving a artic. But I only ever driven artic for 15 hours in total. And never worked on there engines so I can’t judge

“Just wondering as I’m a newbie, what is the average per hour rate for artic ? I should hope it’s more than 10ph.” £30 phr + £50 for a night out, plus 25 meal allowance with £20 parking allowance and a £15 non sleep bonus is the norm.

Good luck

Chas:

Peter Smythe:

Tin hat on…

Hi Pete.

Would you care to share with us the figures on the diversity of your workforce?

How many do you employ? I reckon it’s under 10 but more than 5. Do you employ any Muslims? Any Coloureds? Any homosexuals perhaps?

I bet you employ some women, but I bet you put them in stereotypical womens jobs, like a secretary.

Are you a sexist ,racist, homophobic, ageist employer?

Pete, there aren’t “SOME” Brits with a strong work ethic, there’s loads of us. Of all the folk I closely work with (about 30) there’s only 2 who I think are problems, one’s a Pole with a serious drink problem, the other is a Brit with both a serious drink problem & an attitude that he stole from a spoilt 12yr old girl.

The Poles are here because they can earn up to 4x what they can back home. If we Brits could earn 4x over there then guess where we’d all be.

The problem is Pete, that the Poles can earn their 4x & undercut what we’ve become used to. We’ve suffered a pay cut to accommodate their pay rise!

Can you imagine Petre Smythski LGV’ski Trainingski relocating from downtown Gdansk to Worksop & flogging LGV C courses for £500?

Nail fully hit on head, excellent post.

The employer that hires a Polish worker receives £ 900 in some government grant.Orys will be along shortly to go over the history of Polish fighter pilots in the Raf in the World Wars.
At a lot of factories when i use the loo and walk past the names on the clocking in cards they are all Polish names.
But why not many Indian or African truck drivers in the UK.
I see the odd few but that is it.
A Polish driver on Euro work will not moan he has to back fridays or his wife has booked up something at the weekend.
In my town i see groups of street drinkers that hang out under railway bridges and canals who are Polish but are harmless.
All over the Uk you see Polish food shops.And the banks now have translaters…I say good luck to them.

The employer that hires a Polish worker receives £ 900 in some government grant.

O yes? Show me where.

macci:

madcarl21:

Contraflow:

macci:

“Just wondering as I’m a newbie, what is the average per hour rate for artic ? I should hope it’s more than 10ph.” £30 phr + £50 for a night out, plus 25 meal allowance with £20 parking allowance and a £15 non sleep bonus is the norm.

Good luck

Thats good money, cant wait to get stuck in !

macci:

Contraflow:

macci:

Minimum wage? WTF are you talking about? Is £10ph set as a minimum wage?

No, I’m asking at what point would YOU stop getting out of bed?

£9ph?.. £8ph?.. £7ph?..

…or would you still jump out of bed with a smile on your face at 2am and drive an artic for minimum wage?

Genuinely interested in your response.