Police DAF warning sound

m.independent.ie/videos/driver- … 67863.html

The truck driver was using his elbow to steer but one thing caught my attention.Towards the end of the video ,you can hear a warning sound inside the police truck,but what would cause that?
Ive driven DAFS in the past,its irritating sound,Im sure,if you are a DAF driver,you will agree

Only video I’ve found that would actually okay no warning sounds near the end of the video. So dunno without hearing whatever you are hearing.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Its when the officer says “talking to phone” as they record a white nissan car.about 80% the way through the video.that ding ding noise

I heard that too. The trouble is it could be anything causing it because it goes off for everything that the driver needs to be alerted to.
It could be if he’s used the exhaust brake to slow down and left it on whilst still driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sploom:
Its when the officer says “talking to phone” as they record a white nissan car.about 80% the way through the video.that ding ding noise

The recording device then?
Not the truck.

Standard DAF warning tone. Now I could play the video you linked.

Gives you that noise for a million and one things.

It does that when you’re in cruise and then if you brake, the AEBS cancelling sounds like that aswell

I know the answer to this.

It’s a DAF going under a bridge on a motorway. The ■■■■■■ stupid collision detection will have gone off. Half of our fleet do it. Each wagon will have a specific bridge or bridges or motorway gantries/overhead message boards on specific roads which will trigger it and that’s in the middle of the night or day on empty motorway. We have a few that get triggered on one of the bridges on the A1M northbound between J50 and 51, a few that will pass that but then get triggered at the same bridge on the southbound. One gets triggered by the gantry on the A1M south just before J44 and again just before J41. You eventually learn what unit gets triggered where.

Sometimes all it does is make that noise and flash a warning on the dash briefly, a few like the one I was driving last night whack on the brakes hard. It’s why when overtaking lorries who flash me in when I’m coming to a bridge I’ll not pull in until I’ve gone past the bridge. It’s also why you don’t drive up the backside of DAF trucks.

They’ve been back to DAF, they’ve had software updates, they’ve been recalibrated. DAF even relocated the cameras from the top of the dashboard to the top of the windscreen somewhere around 17/18 plates. Did notice that the 22 plates we now have don’t seem to or if they do it’s not on routes I use but everything from 64 to 19 plates we have do it.

Also makes the bong if you have left the exhaust brake on.

Dunno about the video but as Conor says, DAFs are a bit of a pain in their “helpful” enhancements apparently aimed at knowing better than the driver, these being IME:

the occasional and not very helpful supposed anticipation of an obstruction (which just happens to be the abutment of a motorway bridge somewhat beyond the hard shoulder several yards to the left of where you’re heading) usually resulting in just a reprimand and removal of cruise control;

the quite shocking automatic braking, similar to above, when e.g. executing a tight turn when the wall it’s detected is nowhere near where you’re actually headed;

and the damned heart-attack inducingly loud noise it kindly provides when you legitimately or it thinks you’ve straddled a line in the road (lane control). :imp:

We seem to be guinea pigs in the step towards driverless vehicles with these trucks, but the functions are not really an improvement in the driving experience nor even in the safety aspect.

Snudger:
Dunno about the video but as Conor says, DAFs are a bit of a pain in their “helpful” enhancements apparently aimed at knowing better than the driver, these being IME:

the occasional and not very helpful supposed anticipation of an obstruction (which just happens to be the abutment of a motorway bridge somewhat beyond the hard shoulder several yards to the left of where you’re heading) usually resulting in just a reprimand and removal of cruise control;

the quite shocking automatic braking, similar to above, when e.g. executing a tight turn when the wall it’s detected is nowhere near where you’re actually headed;

and the damned heart-attack inducingly loud noise it kindly provides when you legitimately or it thinks you’ve straddled a line in the road (lane control). :imp:

We seem to be guinea pigs in the step towards driverless vehicles with these trucks, but the functions are not really an improvement in the driving experience nor even in the safety aspect.

Well I hope they don’t rely on the Dafs radar system, with this horrible weather today, I was coming up behind an artic and the AEBS didn’t see it through the spray!!! :confused: :smiley:

When I was driving DAFs,I got used to the autobrake and learnt to react to it more or less straightaway,you put your foot on the accelerator and it cancels it.The windy single track road from the north circular onto the m1,it would get activated there too