Police Crackdown

Suffolk: Lorry crime crackdown is a huge success

Friday, March 15, 2013
3:16 PM

TWO hundred offences were recorded during a week-long operation to crackdown on lorry drivers who break the law and put other road users at risk of death or serious injury.

Comments
Email
Print

The operation started on Monday and ended today, with the Suffolk Police Roads Policing Unit teaming up with colleagues from Norfolk and Essex to patrol dual carriageway roads in the counties using an unmarked lorry.

The aim was to detect and record traffic offences, particularly those that can distract drivers.

These include using a hand held mobile phone, watching a TV, DVD player or laptop, eating, drinking, steering with knees and reading a map, book or newspaper whilst driving.

Once the officer in the passenger seat of the lorry witnessed an offence, video evidence was recorded before the offending vehicle was pulled over by a unit in a pursuing team, consisting of two police cars and two police motorcycles.

Of the 200 offences recorded, 128 drivers were not wearing seatbelts and 35 were using a mobile phone while driving.

Eight drivers were not in proper control of their vehicle and two vehicles were seized for having no insurance.

There were a further 26 drivers who had committed various offences and additionally one driver was arrested for having a fraudulent driving licence.

Around £12,000 in fines was handed out through fixed penalty notices.

Sergeant Paul Ward of the Casualty Reduction Team said: “This is the third operation we have held to clampdown on lorry drivers who flout the law. The consequences of a driver not having full control of their vehicle, being distracted, or not wearing a seatbelt can have devastating results.

“This was a very successful operation with a number of drivers dealt with for a range of offences. However, the figures do reflect the fact that a disappointing amount of people have the wrong attitudes when they are behind the wheel of a heavy goods vehicle.

“We will continue to educate lorry drivers about the dangers of driving whilst using a mobile, not wearing a seatbelt and other poor driving habits, to keep our roads safe for all users

So when are they having a crackdown on car drivers then!

Saaamon:

Since i have been driving i have seen a number of times people on the mobiles driving at 80mph texting. I am shocked at the other stuff i had seen.

I see car drivers doing office work while driving.

Will:

Nice little earner for 5 days work, they must be short of cash this month :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Saaamon:

in my town last week they did have a crack down on car drivers,
so no one is safe :unamused:

Well, if you can’t read a map when driving then that’s most of us banned & the country ground to a halt then.

Silver_Surfer:
Well, if you can’t read a map when driving then that’s most of us banned & the country ground to a halt then.

Exactly. Nail hit on the head.

I mean FFS, if you can’t put the kettle on a brew a cup of tea at 56mph . . . then you shouldn’t be allowed the keys IMO.

Chas:

Silver_Surfer:

Exactly. Nail hit on the head.

I mean FFS, if you can’t put the kettle on a brew a cup of tea at 56mph . . . then you shouldn’t be allowed the keys IMO.

and make a sarnie while waiting for kettle to boil … and crack one out at the same time with the other hand

Saaamon:

Plenty of campaigns run throughout the year targeting non “professional” drivers.

maga:

Will:

Nice little earner for 5 days work, they must be short of cash this month :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

:unamused:

The fines go straight to the treasury.

Perhaps if so many “professional” drivers didn’t break the law, there wouldn’t be so many fines handed out.

And you lot moan about the police. Get your own house in order first?

Perhaps if so many “professional” drivers didn’t break the law, there wouldn’t be so many fines handed out.

[/quote]
Fair comment but then “perhaps” they will crackdown on the diesel and load thief’s, ahhhhhhh but that doesn’t earn as much and doesn’t sound as good when in the local press. :unamused:
Us lorry drivers are the scum of the earth and should be treated as such whilst all those thieving gits are just trying to feed their families.
“Perhaps” you have never woken up in the morning and found an empty tank or stuff missing off your trailer (and that’s when parked in a “safe” place as in msa or truckstop)
Get a life and get real. :angry:

Thank goodness for our boys in blue, they’ve caught up with dead alleged paedos so no worries about proof there.

Bless ‘em and keep ‘em safe Lord (swift self crossing and three Hail Mary’s) they’re going for the next heinous murderous gang, the lorry drivers without seatbelt…’‘no prisoners’’.

Jesus wept.

Black out your side windows with window film you can see out but stops the ■■■■■■■ from looking in. Just make sure you wind the window down when going for the m.o.t or they will fail it :exclamation:

RoadsRat:

maga:

Will:

We have our own house in order, It’s your lot that keep moving the goalposts.
We were once reprimanded in various ways for serious offences, Then as people started to adhere to the new regime, The authorities invented a whole load of new offences. Well maybe not new offences as such, But what was considered safe enough a few years ago is no longer considered safe now.
Some years ago, If i travelled down a motorway in light traffic and good weather conditions whilst talking on the phone, No one would have said “He’s a dangerous individual and should be taken off the road”. But i would be considered a danger to myself and others nowadays.
EU tachograph legislation wasn’t introduced due to road safety issues, But the police and vosa seem to think it was, as they say you are a danger if you don’t obey it to the letter of the law.

gezt:

Fair comment but then “perhaps” they will crackdown on the diesel and load thief’s, ahhhhhhh but that doesn’t earn as much and doesn’t sound as good when in the local press. :unamused:
Us lorry drivers are the scum of the earth and should be treated as such whilst all those thieving gits are just trying to feed their families.
“Perhaps” you have never woken up in the morning and found an empty tank or stuff missing off your trailer (and that’s when parked in a “safe” place as in msa or truckstop)
Get a life and get real. :angry:
[/quote]
How do you propose the police (with very limited resources thanks to government cuts) catch load and diesel thieves then, Mr Expert?

Perhaps if they weren’t ■■■■■■■ with dealing with truck drivers breaking multiple laws, perhaps they could find the time to deal with thieves?

RoadsRat:

maga:

Will:

I’ve nothing against the police, my mother works for them after all :laughing:
But when they’re describing schemes like this as a “huge success” it’s annoying! Of the 200 offences 128 of them were for not wearing a seat belt?!? Come on who hasn’t done that :question: easy money… And as for fining people for eating and drinking, I don’t care how bright the sun shines out your arse, everyone does it, police included :wink:

Welcome to Trucknet RoadsRat! I think it’s going to be fun having you around! love the signature… :laughing:

Juddian:
Thank goodness for our boys in blue, they’ve caught up with dead alleged paedos so no worries about proof there.

Bless ‘em and keep ‘em safe Lord (swift self crossing and three Hail Mary’s) they’re going for the next heinous murderous gang, the lorry drivers without seatbelt…’‘no prisoners’’.

Jesus wept.

You missed out the other serious offences, so let me refresh your memory:

35 were using a mobile phone while driving

8 drivers were not in proper control of their vehicle

2 vehicles were seized for having no insurance

26 drivers who had committed various offences

1 arrested for having a fraudulent driving licence

Yet you lot snivel about car drivers breaking laws. Remarkable!

RoadsRat:

Juddian:

Jesus wept.

You missed out the other serious offences, so let me refresh your memory:

35 were using a mobile phone while driving

8 drivers were not in proper control of their vehicle

2 vehicles were seized for having no insurance

26 drivers who had committed various offences

1 arrested for having a fraudulent driving licence

Yet you lot snivel about car drivers breaking laws. Remarkable!

That’s a list of serious offences? :laughing:
You need to get out more.