Poland-South Africa-Saudi in the 70's

:smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Well a boring day got interesting today, funny as hell, you’ve all heard of Billy Bullshyte, well i met him!!
I got talked at by a bloke today in Felixstowe, he was telling me that he used to be an owner driver in the 70’s, his first motor was a V10 Maggi Deutz with a big tank up the back of the cab, 2 big tanks, a saddle (as he called it) over the chassis, 4000litres all in, as sometimes he would go weeks without being able to buy any diesel. I said you mustve gone abroad then, i allways fancied that,
This,is the story he told me with a straight face …
Take a trailer out to Poland for loading(3 bar heaters), bounce back to UK to pick up his other trailer, have a day or 2 in his neighbours wifes flat near where he was loading (she was Polish and didnt sell her flat when she moved to UK and got married)
Then, as one of the trailers had a 5th wheel on the back, he would hook the trailers up together (similar-is to Aussie or Swedish Btrain) and drive down to Spain without ever getting stopped (he was also running at 60tons) and get a ferry over to Morrocco (sometimes Tunisia) and (i wrote these down when i got back in my lorry so i wouldnt forget) in no particular order these were his deliveries
Algeria
Nigeria(regular)
Gahna
Cameroon
Uganda
Kenya
Zambia
Botswana
Mozambique (regular) where he would wear steel toe capped boots whilst doing customs, ‘because when the coppers walked past him they would smack their rifle butts on his toes, when they saw he had steelys on they smiled and said clever Eenglishman’ the roads were non existant, i said you mustve been like that Australian bloke on Outback Truckers, he said yeah i saw that, he had it easy.
Zimbabwe
South Africa, he once had a week off in Cape Town, and after coming out of a restaurant bumped into his next door neighbour and his Polish wife
Yemen
UAE
Saudi
Iraq
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Punjab in India
after all that, he would come home via Spain.
Once, when he got home he got a call from DVLA saying his license had been revoked as he spent too long out of the country, so he went to his local VOSA depot, spoke to his mate there, he said to come back in 2 days, he went back, did an emergency stop in the yard, and his mate passed him there and then.

The bloke believed every word he said, when i left i thought, bugger, i shouldve recorded it on my phone and then i couldve put a link up on here for it.
Ive heard a few bullshyte stories in my time, but this took the biscuit!!

Did he say how much he was getting for the load of 3 bar heaters out of Poland to India, that must have been a good payer. All in a V 10 Maggie as well… How fantastically groovy…

Funny how you mention a Maggie pulling a B double. Many moons ago when I was in Charters depot in Brisbane, I noticed they had an old Maggie as yard shunter, I recon it must have shunted a few B Doubles in it’s time. One of those things you look back on a think I should have taken a photo of that.

Jeff…

Was he one of the brothers GRIMM ■■? I,ve heard of some ghosters in my time but that has to be the best yet … all that without fueling up … poor sod probably believes it himself !!!

Was he the guy who actually went to Timbukthree. :unamused:

:unamused: Humph…a mere amateur, have I ever told you about the time I ran to…no, best not, you won’t believe me. :laughing: :laughing:

Nice one Kindle ,entertaining reading. :laughing:

So that was you I was talking to yesterday…I never did ask your name or whether you were interested in what I was ■■■■■■■■■■■■ about. :blush:

Sounds like a chap me and NewMercMan used to know! That is exactly the type of tale he would tell, with a totally straight face as well. :laughing: :wink:

bullitt:
Sounds like a chap me and NewMercMan used to know! That is exactly the type of tale he would tell, with a totally straight face as well. :laughing: :wink:

Hahahaha, I thought exactly the same when I read this :laughing: :laughing:

postman paul:
So that was you I was talking to yesterday…I never did ask your name or whether you were interested in what I was [zb] about. :blush:

Yes mate I was interested, I was hanging on your every word!! His name was Paul funnily enough!!
newmercman and bullit, his name was Paul, but I can’t remember his surname at the min, I have it written down at home thou, and also his company name, I googled it and unbelievably( :smiley: :unamused: :wink: ) nothing came up.
He did say after the MAggi he bought a V10 Merc, I can’t remember the number, but it was something like a 2432.

TRUCK mag’ missed out there, that would have sold a few copies & set a record, longest running “Long Distance Diary” ever! :open_mouth: :unamused:

kindle530:
newmercman and bullit, his name was Paul, .

The chap we know / knew was called Andy. An amazing character who actually really had been about abit but just couldn’t help himself when it came to tall tales. NMM knows him far better than me! :laughing: :wink:

bullitt:

kindle530:
newmercman and bullit, his name was Paul, .

The chap we know / knew was called Andy. An amazing character who actually really had been about abit but just couldn’t help himself when it came to tall tales. NMM knows him far better than me! :laughing: :wink:

He’s your cousin, not mine :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
He’s your cousin, not mine :laughing: :laughing:

Errrr, yeah right!!! :laughing: I think that “Polar Vortex” has muddled your brain up Mark! :laughing: :wink:

How is the “then one with no neck” doing anyway?

Someone on facebook mentioned him the other day, it wasn’t complimentary :laughing:

newmercman:
Someone on facebook mentioned him the other day, it wasn’t complimentary :laughing:

That story will be on facebook or twitter by Sunday. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I did Selby to Rhodesia overland I used to stay at Ted Tolemans flat :neutral_face:

Now we know who (z.b.)ed up all the roads in Africa.

And the bridges. :laughing:

On a serious note I’ve heard from a fairly reliable source that there were a couple of Brit drivers that actually made it to western India in the 70’s. I know most of the traffic terminated at Lahore, but I had a feeling Gentleman George was one of them that did get there.
Many years ago I was speaking to Bob Carter who was offered some Hillman car parts going to Nigeria, they were meant to go all the way but there was a lot of “political involvement from the other end” and the job eventually fell on it’s ■■■. I don’t know how they were planning to get there, as even today the road networks would make the M32 across Kaz look like a European motorway.

Jeff…

The bloke said his company was called PK Transport by the way.

Jelliot:
On a serious note

What are you saying Jellitot?!!■■! :laughing: :wink:

kindle530:
The bloke said his company was called PK Transport by the way.

Jelliot:
On a serious note

What are you saying Jellitot?!!■■! :laughing: :wink:

PK that used to be a good chew the flavor went on for ever. I think that most of my school teachers must of had drawers full of the stuff they confiscated.

Sorry Kindle I didn’t mean to disturb the frivolity, it was a serious comment though.

Jeff…