Points and agency driving

Hi be gentle as it’s my 1st post!!

I’ve been a lurker on here for quite a long time and learned plenty, I passed my C+E back around May time, I have my digi tacho card and just done my last CPC course and waiting for my card to come in the post.
I don’t need full time work but I’m hoping to get a bit of driving work just to top up money. I’m more than happy to work what ever, days, nights or weekends. I consider myself very hard working and not shy of putting in the effort for the right rewards. I’m happy to work pretty much anywhere in the country as that is what I do anyway for my current work. My current works comes and goes pretty much at my own choice so I can be very flexible on when I work driving.
So based on all that I guess I should be OK for getting some work be it agency or direct BUT there is a problem …I have 2 separate speeding offences on my licence that gave me 6 points and then 5 points so a total of 11 points.

My argument is that being on 11 points I should be a good bet as I have to drive really carefully so as not to gain anymore which would potentially be a ban! But I don’t think the agencies will se it that way!!
I have rung one agency and the guy I spoke to said he would get a manager to ring me back as he could not answer me properly, I never had a call from the manager which was not really a surprise! In August next year I loose 6 points and then 5 months after I loose the other 5.
So what experience of getting work with points do others have please?

Don’t expect to get a lot of sympathy or support mate, as you got those points for a reason…
Employers are going to look at it the same way. Would you employ you? Or someone else without the points?

So the answer is probably; it depends how desperate they are for drivers, and will their insurance cover you■■?

With 11 points on your licence most agencies won’t want to know you and probably won’t even let you register with them.

I’m not a big fan of agencies but you have to see it from there point of view, clients do not want drivers with 11 points on their licence and the agencies have to comply with the clients wishes.

To be honest I find your logic a little flawed, you reckon you should be seen as a good bet because you now have to drive carefully to avoid getting more points on your licence, but most people would probably bet on the driver who never got the points in the first place and see him as the better driver, 6 points for speeding will be excused but 11 is too many.

There’s no harm in trying the agencies but I reckon your best bet would be small companies who want occasional drivers, but I wouldn’t hold out too much hope with them either to be honest :frowning:

Sorry I can’t give you better news but I assume you wanted honest answers :wink:

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the 5 points for ?

Let’s be honest 11 points and your gonna be struggling because you haven’t learnt after the 1st 6 you might as well forget it there’s plenty out there to choose from

Sympathy does not in the slightest interest me or would it ever be expected, I’m a grown man and have no need for it, I’ve done what I’ve done throughout my life and fully accept the consequences with no or very few regrets.
I’ve employed plenty of people over the years and always judge them on what they do at the present time not on there past behavior, I’ve employed plenty that others would not have touched and even advised me not too and they have often turned out to be the most reliable and honest workers due to appretiating the chance to prove themselves.

My comment about being a good bet as having to drive vary carefully was I must admit a bit tongue in cheek, I did even comment that I guessed the agencies would not see it my way.

I guessed that the agencies would probably not be interested unless really desperate but thought I’d ask there may be others with any actual experience of trying for work with too many points. I’m not really after the work for the money, I can earn more in my current business to be honest but I just fancy a bit of a change and a job that will be a little easier on my aching joints. I’d actually be happy just to gain a bit of experience for now so probably be happier with just a bit of driving for a small company to fill the gaps for them.

The 1st 6 were for entering a 30mph limit at 61mph in a transit van on the way home from a night shift 100 miles away at 5AM and the 5 points were for doing 90 on a very long straight road trying to make the ferry to get my wife to see her Uncle before he passed away, sadly he past away before we got to see him.
I drive an average of 35 to 40,000 miles a year the law of averages says that there’s a high chance of getting caught now and again at those mileages, but as I’ve said sympathy is not of any interest to me :wink:

And yes honest answers are fully what I’m after so thank you!

RVDriver:
The 1st 6 were for entering a 30mph limit at 61mph in a transit van on the way home from a night shift 100 miles away at 5AM and the 5 points were for doing 90 on a very long straight road trying to make the ferry to get my wife to see her Uncle before he passed away, sadly he past away before we got to see him.
I drive an average of 35 to 40,000 miles a year the law of averages says that there’s a high chance of getting caught now and again at those mileages, but as I’ve said sympathy is not of any interest to me :wink: And yes honest answers are fully what I’m after so thank you!

Having 11 points on your licence I think you will struggle to secure work either through the agencies or directly with a company - but at those speeds I do think you got of very lightly with just the points!!

This forum will not be able to tell you if you will get employment if you want that question answered you will have to find out for yourself by asking around - if you cast your net wide enough you might just get lucky.

Just like your insurance company shafted you for getting 11 points, the hauliers will get shafted for employing you by their insurers. IMO (and it’s worth what you paid for it) you’ll be lucky to get work until six of those points come off. Not everyone is as prepared to take a chance as you are.
Having said that, if you don’t try you’ll never get anywhere.

An agency driver who has points, is the same as one who does not have points.

They are both equally pointless steering wheel attendants.

eagerbeaver:

But surely the one with endorsements ISN’T pointless! :grimacing:

MickyB666:
Having 11 points on your licence I think you will struggle to secure work either through the agencies or directly with a company - but at those speeds I do think you got of very lightly with just the points!!

This forum will not be able to tell you if you will get employment if you want that question answered you will have to find out for yourself by asking around - if you cast your net wide enough you might just get lucky.

I never expected that getting work will be easy with the points which is why I decided to ask if anyone actually had any real world experience of getting work with points, I did not actually do my test for work related HGV driving I just figured that being as I now have it I might get some work to earn a little extra to help recoup some of the cost. If I have to wait until August when 6 points fall off then so be it, I’m not really fussed either way.
The points and fine are pretty standard for the speeds invloved as there are standard guidelines set out for the courts :wink:

Captain Caveman 76:
Just like your insurance company shafted you for getting 11 points, the hauliers will get shafted for employing you by their insurers. IMO (and it’s worth what you paid for it) you’ll be lucky to get work until six of those points come off. Not everyone is as prepared to take a chance as you are.
Having said that, if you don’t try you’ll never get anywhere.

Strangely as it is, the points made absolutely no difference to my insurance costs, it is just classed by the insurance as 2 separate SP30’s and so no difference in cost from the previous years insurance. And I even made sure that they have all the correct details and had my broker double check that all was straight and above board so no nasty surprises later on.
I fully agree, if I don’t ask and try then I won’t get anywhere, I’ve a couple of local owner/drivers who will give me work when they need a driver but I’m not sure how often that will be which is why I thought I ask on here if anyone had actually tried getting work with more than 6 points rather than just assuming that there is no chance.

Captain Caveman 76:

eagerbeaver:

I thought the same, but didn’t see the point! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

Captain Caveman 76:

eagerbeaver:

I might be joining this gang very soon :confused:

I’m surprised I haven’t got any yet. I blame the car! It’s not particularly quick but it is fun to drive, other people seem to think it’s faster than it is lol

NickW88:
I’m surprised I haven’t got any yet. I blame the car! It’s not particularly quick but it is fun to drive, other people seem to think it’s faster than it is lol

Yes mate, it looks very speedy! :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

Captain Caveman 76:

eagerbeaver:

Right, we should put a (full) stop to this right now! :grimacing:

Captain Caveman 76:

Evil8Beezle:

Captain Caveman 76:

eagerbeaver:

Right, we should put a (full) stop to this right now! :grimacing:

But that’s just one point

Is there any point in carrying this nonsense on?

eagerbeaver:
Is there any point in carrying this nonsense on?

Straight to the point!

Evil8Beezle:

NickW88:

Yes mate, it looks very speedy! :grimacing:

I couldn’t handle that mate, no traction control lol