POA's

Think I have finally convinced myself to give up on this driver training… my brain really really hurts BUT one final ash at understanding stuff:-

WTD - you basically can work any hours you want as long as you bring them into line (48 hour average) by by claiming POA’s or breaks.

So does your tacho have to match your claimed POA’s? So okay for proper breaks, but how does other work fit in? or do you claim other work on your tacho and then claim it as POA ■■?

And who checks for anomolies in WTD and EU driver rules… or in truth don’t we really get up as high as this?

EU and WTD
EU rules say you can have 6 periods of daily driving in a week - reduced rest 3 times in a fixed week allows 3 days of 15 hours duty (call it 2 x 10 hour and 1 x9 hour driving days) and 3 days of 13 hours duty(call it 3 x 9 hour driving days) = 84 hours worked with a maximum of 56 driven or possibly 58 max driven if your driver week falls accross Two fixed weeks. So if you do really drive to the max - you are then limited by the Wtd as although you could reduce your 84 duty hours down by calling it poa’s to 56 (maybe 58) that would get you down to the WTD rule of max 60 hours worked in a week. What then happens week 2 ? bearing in mind you can only have a max limit of 90 hours in two weeks?

F in hell no wonder its confusing?

forget POA’s.
the only thing that matters is:
driving time,
rest/break.
and other work.

limeyphil:
forget POA’s.
the only thing that matters is:
driving time,
rest/break.
and other work.

+1 When coltons first got digi tacs they were 06’s. You know, the early ones where poa reset the clock. They banged on about poa so I did as they asked and kept getting infringements for exceeding a 4 1/2 period. After a couple of months Paul said don’t worry, go back to doing it your way, and I reverted back to drive and break only and went back to zero infringements

Jenson Button:
EU rules say you can have 6 periods of daily driving in a week - reduced rest 3 times in a fixed week allows 3 days of 15 hours duty (call it 2 x 10 hour and 1 x9 hour driving days) and 3 days of 13 hours duty(call it 3 x 9 hour driving days) = 84 hours worked with a maximum of 56 driven or possibly 58 max driven if your driver week falls accross Two fixed weeks. So if you do really drive to the max - you are then limited by the Wtd as although you could reduce your 84 duty hours down by calling it poa’s to 56 (maybe 58) that would get you down to the WTD rule of max 60 hours worked in a week. What then happens week 2 ? bearing in mind you can only have a max limit of 90 hours in two weeks?

F in hell no wonder its confusing?

Suggest you check the rules again
No limits to the number of driving periods in a week
Reduced daily rests are between weekly rest periods

Why the ZB are you worring about WTD when no authority polices it??

ROG:

Yes you are right, no one is actively Policing it, until you are involved in a fatal accident, then the brown stuff will hit the fan :bulb:

If you’re involved in a fatal accident, the [zb] will already have hit the fan and POA will be a long way down the list. I would think that as long as your tacho records were ok regarding your duty and rest times, there wouldn’t be a problem there.

green456:

ROG:

Yes you are right, no one is actively Policing it, until you are involved in a fatal accident, then the brown stuff will hit the fan :bulb:

Also most companies do expect drivers to comply with the WTD and will give infringements which can lead to disciplinary action for none compliance.

ROG is aware of this but insists on telling people that they don’t need to bother about the WTD :unamused:

tachograph:
ROG is aware of this but insists on telling people that they don’t need to bother about the WTD :unamused:

:bulb: There is a need to bother about it, because it is a statute law. It’s that simple.

Whether any enforcing authority chooses to enforce it is a completely separate discussion, and failing to enforce it might even leave that enforcing authority in breach of their statutory duty, but that’s nothing to do with any of us.

Drivers/companies can make a choice as to whether they choose to ignore it, but it remains possible that they might/could suffer a penalty for ignoring it. How likely that is is anybody’s guess.

Imagine the scene in court if a decision to prosecute were taken… sorry yer honour, I ignored it because everybody else does and nobdy else has been prosecuted for it. What the hell difference would that make to the case being heard??

Anybody who thinks that defence will work is living in cloud cuckoo land. (Or Leicester. :wink: )

IMHO it’s a brave (or foolish) person who thinks that they know for a fact that they won’t get into trouble for ignoring it.

:bulb: Forewarned is forearmed.

It’s like this your honour… this WTD and Driver CPC stuff is all a load of ball hooks, we aren’t taking any notice,… ok ■■

The first thing you do is ask the boss how he is recording the RTD?

Then ask if there is a workplace opt out for the Night Working?

Then you stick rigidly to the 561/2006 rules rigidly and you will generally find that the WTD (RTD) Regulations will follow. They are not so very different, just remember to stop for a cup of tea or a crap every 4 hours.

The drivers break period is interchangeable with, can run concurrently, or be counted as RTD breaks.

Just don’t ignore it, as suggested by the professional trainer :wink: