POA ???

can anyone explain POA to me in laymans terms. im still confused by it.

FLIPPER 666:

Where you are TOLD that you will be waiting either before you get there or when you get there.
If you get paid for beaks then you might just as well use that mode instead.
POA & breaks do not count towards the average 48 hour week

FLIPPER 666:

Period of Availability Do a search my friend :wink:

poa’s is the time that you are available to do work during your spread over but you are waiting i.e to load or unload. sat on a loading dock ect. You should know about these times in advance, but how the heck vosa would ever find that out beats me :sunglasses:

Cheers chaps

In simple terms say you go into a RDC, and you have to sit on a bay for 2 hours, that can be counted as POA. SInce your not doing any other work.

It doesent count towards working time, so it allows me to do 60+ paid hours a week but in a sense still maintaining my 48hours a week average.

As ROG says as well setting it on break unless the company use the tachographs to pay you and remove breaks.I always use breaks instead of POA unless the company i am with askes me to use POA.

Generally speaking a period of availability (PoA) is waiting time, the duration of which is known about in advance by the mobile worker. Under the Regulations, these periods have to meet the following criteria:

1. A mobile worker should not be required to remain at his workstation.

2. The mobile worker must be available to answer calls to start work or resume driving on request.

3. The period and the foreseeable duration should be known in advance by the mobile worker, either before departure or just before the start of the period in question.

Mobile workers do not need to be formally notified about a PoA and its duration in advance. It is enough that they know about it (and the foreseeable duration) in advance.

There are no requirements as to the minimum and maximum length of a PoA.

Like breaks and rest periods, a PoA can be taken at the workstation, providing the mobile worker has a reasonable amount of freedom (e.g. he can relax and read) for a known duration, this would satisfy the requirements for a PoA.

Where the mobile worker knows about a delay in advance, but it is deemed prudent that the driver should remain in the cab for reasons of security or safety, this should not in itself disqualify this delay being recorded as a PoA. Typical examples might include waiting at a site that is unsafe for pedestrians or staying in a vehicle carrying high value goods or cash.

A PoA does not apply to delays where the mobile worker has to continue working. For example, where a driver is diverted due to a road closure, he/she would still be driving.
Normally delays due to congestion would also count as working time because the driver would be stopping and starting the vehicle.
If a mobile worker is monitoring a discharge from the vehicle (e.g. petrol at filling station), this time will also count as working time.
Examples of a PoA

• The time when accompanying a vehicle being transported by boat or train.

• Time spent waiting at frontiers, or delays due to traffic prohibitions.

• When driving as part of a team, when not driving, unless the mobile worker is taking a break or performing other work (e.g. navigation),

• PoA also includes time spent sitting next to the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

• Time spent at a depot waiting to load/unload, where the foreseeable duration of the waiting time is known.

POA, What a bloody can of worms this is, it was deliberately left vague and it is peculiar to only our industry. How can I be available when I am parked on a loading bay, I suppose I could polish my truck or answer the phone but how other than that can I possibly be available… :angry: :angry: :angry:

yer spot on there smee. in car transporter industry one firm taking it seriously is ECM my mates that work there always seem to be on POA leave on average pay for it too

I thought it was ■■■■■■ Off and Available! :laughing:

Look on the bright side if it wasn’t for POA your earning ability would be restricted. So for a change it works to the drivers advantage

knight:
Look on the bright side if it wasn’t for POA your earning ability would be restricted. So for a change it works to the drivers advantage

Work for employers too so they can pay you ■■■■ poor wage making you do 60/70 hour weeks instead of decent job doing 40/50 for same money.

POA, What a bloody can of worms this is, it was deliberately left vague and it is peculiar to only our industry

It means whatever your employer wants it to mean… :imp: :imp: :imp:

tachograph, how can you do one and two ,you must be able to answer phone and take instructions you must be free to leave work station

FLIPPER 666:
yer spot on there smee. in car transporter industry one firm taking it seriously is ECM my mates that work there always seem to be on POA leave on average pay for it too

Doesn’t everyone get paid for the time on POA ■■?

sorry wasnt been very clear. they get a week off on full pay to keep their POA hours down

fuse:
tachograph, how can you do one and two ,you must be able to answer phone and take instructions you must be free to leave work station

Mobile phones have been out for some time now :wink:

Seriously though “The mobile worker must be available to answer calls to start work or resume driving on request” doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to be standing by the phone, it just means that you should be available to resume driving when needed, but anyway those are the regulations, I didn’t write them :smiley:

FLIPPER 666:

Yes, £540 a week for sitting in the house. great if you can get it.

FLIPPER 666:
sorry wasnt been very clear. they get a week off on full pay to keep their POA hours down

POA is the same as bed and you dont need to record it as anything else. Bearing in mind ECM is a labour intensive job I think you mean they get a week off to keep their working hours down.

After all no-one loads a car transporter for you while you sleep or sit in a canteen sipping coffee

Dead simple you must know in advance how long you have to wait for and you must be able to walk away from the vehicle and do whatever you want to do, so if they say it will be two hours until we tip you stick it on POA and do what you want, and some of you are confused if you are on the loading bay and they are tipping you then you can not put it on POA as you do not know how long they will be.

But even simpler just don’t use it i don’t