poa question

by law do you have to be paid for time waiting around on a poa? after some looking i found this:

What’s not working time?

*Routine travel between home and the normal place of work
*Rest and breaks when no work is done
*Periods of Availability (PoA), defined as waiting time whose duration is known about in advance by the worker. For a PoA the worker should not be required to remain at his/her workstation, but must be available to answer calls to start work or resume driving on request; and the period and the foreseeable duration should be known in advance, by the worker, either before departure or just before the start of the period in question. PoAs should still count as paid time *Evening classes or day-release courses
*Voluntary work or time spent as a Retained Fire Fighter, a Special Constable, or member of the Reserve Forces.

as i have highlighted above,does this mean its a legal requirement?

The answer is very simple, if you don’t get paid for it, don’t book it. Sorted. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: If you get paid for breaks book the time as that instead, there is very little difference between the two anyway and if it qualifies as POA you can certainly book it as break.

If you get paid for neither just book the time as other work while you look for your new job.

If you don’t get paid for POA then park the truck somewhere where a white 57 plate astra van is lurking :smiling_imp: , post the keys back to your boss 2nd class :smiling_imp: , hitch a lift home, then find a decent job :sunglasses: .
:smiley: :laughing:

so basically they do have to pay you by law is that right or am i reading it wrong?

bigcheese:
so basically they do have to pay you by law is that right or am i reading it wrong?

I have no idea whether they have to pay you ‘by law’ or not but surely the question is irrelevant because if you don’t get paid for it you aren’t going to book it. Are you?

bigcheese:

Not sure about the law, but if you work in a shop and there are no customers for an hour or two, would you still get paid? of course you would. Any gaffer that tries not to pay for waiting around whilst you are carrying out his business needs a quiet word with, after work.

like your thinking pal, i dont know anyone who dont get paid it just trying to be in the know as a new lad i dont want my pants down!

bigcheese:
like your thinking pal, i dont know anyone who dont get paid it just trying to be in the know as a new lad i dont want my pants down!

Hi mate, Check out this link:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/rights_to_pay.htm#Rightstopay

Read 2nd sentence,is this what you are trying to get at.

Jim

hi trucker jimbo thats exactly what im after it backs up what i found to a t, nice link too much appriciated

MADBAZ:
If you don’t get paid for POA then park the truck somewhere where a white 57 plate astra van is lurking :smiling_imp: , post the keys back to your boss 2nd class :smiling_imp: , hitch a lift home, then find a decent job :sunglasses: .

Ahh, the voice of inexperience. I’m in the best, highest paying job in the area, but we’re on a mileage scheme so not paid for POA. I’d be a fool to leave on those grounds alone. :wink:

I’d go with Coffeeholic’s advice, and just not bother booking them. I don’t.

Lucy:

MADBAZ:

Ahh, the voice of inexperience. I’m in the best, highest paying job in the area, but we’re on a mileage scheme so not paid for POA. I’d be a fool to leave on those grounds alone. :wink:

I’d go with Coffeeholic’s advice, and just not bother booking them. I don’t.

:blush:
I forgot about you lot :smiley:

so they obviosly dont have to pay you for poa, is this cos your salaried tho?

No, we’re on mileage. See other post. :stuck_out_tongue: