POA and driving time

Hi everyone, wondered if any one can throw any light on this…

Started this morning at 05.30 and ran up to Bolton for 8.30 tip. Arrived at drop at 7.15 and put the tacho on POA for 1hour 10 mins. Put it on other work at 8.25.
Made my delivery at 8.30 and then left for liverpool that took about an hour and twenty.
When I was driving to L’pool my hour guard carried on adding the driving time to the previous driving time from stoke to bolton. The display on the digi tacho started a new driving period from 8.30.
I’m sure this is a fault on the tacho unit not on my timer…wondered if any one could help?
Cheers
Dave

davidj247:

Started this morning at 05.30 and ran up to Bolton for 8.30 tip. Arrived at drop at 7.15 and put the tacho on POA for 1hour 10 mins. Put it on other work at 8.25.
Made my delivery at 8.30 and then left for liverpool that took about an hour and twenty.
When I was driving to L’pool my hour guard carried on adding the driving time to the previous driving time from stoke to bolton. The display on the digi tacho started a new driving period from 8.30.
I’m sure this is a fault on the tacho unit not on my timer…wondered if any one could help?
Cheers
Dave

Were you TOLD there would be a wait of 1 hour 10 mins or more :question: :question:

ADD - hang on… I think the first 45 mins of POA on a digi is automatically recorded as break which, IF I am correct, would explain why the driving reset at 0830

ROG:

davidj247:

Cheers
Dave

Were you TOLD there would be a wait of 1 hour 10 mins or more :question: :question:

ADD - hang on… I think the first 45 mins of POA on a digi is automatically recorded as break which, IF I am correct, would explain why the driving reset at 0830

no its does not only the regs consider the 45 min break could be taken if doubled maned

IMO it the tachois at fault, get a print out of today’s work look on it and see if it recorded a break instead of poa at that time

Del

delboytwo:

ROG:

davidj247:

Cheers
Dave

no its does not only the regs consider the 45 min break could be taken if doubled maned

IMO it the tachois at fault, get a print out of today’s work look on it and see if it recorded a break instead of poa at that time

Del

AH - thanks - me confused again - I thought I had read it different :blush:

I questioned it when I got back to depot and they took a download from my card.
This showed that I had taken POA for that time.
I think I’ll do what Coffeeholic said in a previous post and just take it as a break instead. It will save any confusion and put me at the start of a fresh driving period.

I believe the digital tachograph counts POA as rest therefore it would have reset the driving time as you had more than 45 minutes POA :wink:

It’s not a fault with the tachograph it’s just the dumb way they’re programmed :wink:

As tachograph said it’s a bug in the digital tacho software. The first 45min POA does NOT count as break for the first driver (but it does for the second driver who has his card in slot2 if you’re double manned). The tacho will reset your driving time clock, but in the real world you’re still on your first 4.5h.

Paul

tachograph:
I believe the digital tachograph counts POA as rest therefore it would have reset the driving time as you had more than 45 minutes POA :wink:

It’s not a fault with the tachograph it’s just the dumb way they’re programmed :wink:

i have drove trucks with VDO and SBRIDGE and been on POA for hours and my driving time stayed the same cos if it does do that then whats the point of the POA mode, like i said check your print out if your mode was POA then it should recored POA and not brake

Del

delboytwo:

tachograph:

i have drove trucks with VDO and SBRIDGE and been on POA for hours and my driving time stayed the same cos if it does do that then whats the point of the POA mode, like i said check your print out if your mode was POA then it should recored POA and not brake

Del

I don’t get much opportunity to try POA for myself but people on here have said in the past that the digital tachograph calculates POA as break and will reset the driving time accordingly.
Obviously it will be recorded on the driver card and therefore the printouts as POA but as I understand it the driving time shown on the tacho head will be reset after 45 minutes of POA.

This in no way affects the drivers right to drive for a maximum of 4.5 hours without a break but can mean that the driver needs to watch the driving time more closely.

This is just one of several posts I’ve seen that explain this fault with the digital tachograph programming.

ROG:

delboytwo:

ROG:

davidj247:

Cheers
Dave

Del

AH - thanks - me confused again - I thought I had read it different :blush:

tachograph:

delboytwo:

tachograph:

Del

I don’t get much opportunity to try POA for myself but people on here have said in the past that the digital tachograph calculates POA as break and will reset the driving time accordingly.
Obviously it will be recorded on the driver card and therefore the printouts as POA but as I understand it the driving time shown on the tacho head will be reset after 45 minutes of POA.

This in no way affects the drivers right to drive for a maximum of 4.5 hours without a break but can mean that the driver needs to watch the driving time more closely.

This is just one of several posts I’ve seen that explain this fault with the digital tachograph programming.

So I was not incorrect then :question:

tachograph:

Correct, it does indeed wrongly count POA as break and resets the timer. As far as I recall the specification for the digi tacho was written before the WTD regulations were finalised and before it was decided how POA would be regarded.

It also still works with the old rules and will reset the timer after 3 breaks of at least 15 minutes or breaks of say 20 and 25 minutes rather than the required at least 15 minutes and at least 30 in that order.

It’s not something you can defect the tacho unit for as it technically isn’t a fault. All a driver can do is be aware of it and remember to take the correct breaks. Or better still just don’t use POA.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

Correct, it does indeed wrongly count POA as break and resets the timer. As far as I recall the specification for the digi tacho was written before the WTD regulations were finalised and before it was decided how POA would be regarded.

It also still works with the old rules and will reset the timer after 3 breaks of at least 15 minutes or breaks of say 20 and 25 minutes rather than the required at least 15 minutes and at least 30 in that order.

It’s not something you can defect the tacho unit for as it technically isn’t a fault. All a driver can do is be aware of it and remember to take the correct breaks. Or better still just don’t use POA.

If that’s the case and the digi tacho was never setup for WTD then that would mean that the box we use for POA was if i am not wrong use for other work, in that case why does it classify as a brake.

Del

delboytwo:
If that’s the case and the digi tacho was never setup for WTD then that would mean that the box we use for POA was if i am not wrong use for other work, in that case why does it classify as a brake.

It was set up for the WTD, that’s why it recognises POA, but as far as I know, and trying to remember what I have read about it, when the specification was finalised it still wasn’t clear whether POA would be classed as break or not under the tacho rules.

You are correct in saying that the square was previously used for other work.

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

It was set up for the WTD, that’s why it recognises POA, but as far as I know, and trying to remember what I have read about it, when the specification was finalised it still wasn’t clear whether POA would be classed as break or not under the tacho rules.

You are correct in saying that the square was previously used for other work.

its like you say just don’t bother with it put it on rest best and probably the safest way to say legal

Del

delboytwo:
its like you say just don’t bother with it put it on rest best and probably the safest way to say legal

Del

If you get paid for rest then never use POA - simple

Coffeeholic:
Or better still just don’t use POA.

Good enough for me…Cheers