Plumber crushed in loading bay

Lucky bloke. :open_mouth:

(Video for the CSI TruckNet evidence room in the link)

Seems to be a bit of a case that companies get done with fines regardless - unless they were actively encouraging customers to use docks to collect stuff.

Absolute idiot standing on a loading bay oblivious to the reversing lorry, the driver could of tooted his horn but I doubt he’d of moved anyway.

Very lucky regardless who’s at fault, he needs to put the lottery on :wink:

Glad he is OK.
Life saved by rubber bumpers on trailer and drivers good judge of distance when hitting loading bay gently, think not being perfectly flush helped as well…

Life put in jeopardy by reading notes in a potential guillotine and no hi viz and possibly no safety induction.

Granted the guy could have been hard of hearing but a reverse alarm may have helped there I would have thought?

Lucky chap all the same.

I saw his on Granada Reports tonight & the first question I asked myself was what the hell was he doing standing in front of a loading dock ?

Idiot. I’m sorry but it’s people like him (and the bloke that tripped over those blue things) that is the reason why the industry is how it is with regards to over the top health and safety bollox.

+1

+2

FarnboroughBoy11:
Idiot. I’m sorry but it’s people like him (and the bloke that tripped over those blue things) that is the reason why the industry is how it is with regards to over the top health and safety bollox.

This 100%.

^^^^^^^ wow, 3 in a row in agreement. Cheers boys :laughing:

I’ll be honest, if I was the driver I would be prepared to accept full responsibility for this if it had been me driving. That is if he was stood there at the point I still had the centre of the bay in sight in my mirrors.

Yeah it was really stupid to be standing there and all kinds of alarm bells should have been ringing, but the driver is the driver. Accidents do happen and there are a wealth of reasons why this happened, but this is the mentality I adopt when driving. That anything that goes wrong that involves my vehicle is MY fault.

Even if it isn’t. This attitude helps me sleep, knowing that if I’m ever involved in something like this (god forbid), I’ll know that I was doing everything to the best of my ability.

I really hope that both the plumber and the driver are ok. It must have been an awful experience for the driver as well, emotionally.

Good job he wasn’t Fat, or it might have made him Spew Up like Monty Python’s Mr Creosote-

youtu.be/aczPDGC3f8U

A couple of strategically placed cones, van or even pallets in the bay could of saved some grief…but with door up you have to assume traffic light which should be fitted would of been on red.

Worker should of been aware of reversing vehicle but then if it’s a noisy environment or he’s hard of hearing or even deaf then even reversing warnings fitted to truck wouldn’t of been much use.

Top marks to driver, had he rammed that bay then could of been much worse.

Saw this on the news yesterday.

Can’t understand why he never noticed some vehicle movement from behind. :confused:

I don’t see this as the drivers fault.

If the driver was backing on this bay on his good side and this idiot walked to the bay from the other side there would be no way the driver could have seen him.

If this idiot thought it was a good idea to walk behind a truck that’s reversing then it’s his fault.

So many things wrong there but I can’t help thinking the driver was a major factor in this accident.

The potential dangers around this area are numerous, companies have a responsibility to identify the dangers, and take steps to minimize the risks to all concerned.
Taking keys from the vehicle being unloaded is a good example of minimizing the risk.
The company being fined was the correct course of action,it might have been Jail if the victim had died.
Individuals have a responsibility to make themselves as safe as possible in the workplace, but it’s the companies that carry the most responsibility, and take steps to warn of said dangers.
If this guy was a plumber, he probably had no idea of the loading procedure, warning signage, painted hatch markings,coned area etc, would have minimized the risk to the visitor.
This won’t have been the first time something like this has happened, and it won’t be last…SO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

FarnboroughBoy11:
^^^^^^^ wow, 3 in a row in agreement. Cheers boys :laughing:

I think that automatically makes you a knight! Congratulations Sir FarnboroughBoy11 of TruckNet.