Plod pulling lorries M62 westbound hartshead moor

Saw 3 pulled after services on hard shoulder (spotter parked on services slip road) looked like they was pulling for speeding down the hill, the thing is, we can legally do 60mph now, so the ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2 mph so where they pulling lorries doing 69 mph going down the hill :open_mouth: Or maybe it was tailgating, i dont know. Definately wasnt for mobile phone use though because the angle of the spotter would not see this

Can easily rattle 70mph down that hill…so I’m to told :wink:

red7jase:
Can easily rattle 70mph down that hill…so I’m to told :wink:

And the rest…apparently…

The 10% +2 guidelines I can almost guarantee wouldn’t be followed regarding a hgv doing 68.
A car doing 79 probably not raising an eyebrow .

Any wagon driver, esp given your probably very heavy loaded to blow the limited speed out the water , doesn’t deserve the same tolerances as a Corsa to be fair

To be honest if you are going down hill above the speed limit for a hgv then you come in the realms of driving with out due care and attention we are all professionals and should not need to gravity run

Angus25:
To be honest if you are going down hill above the speed limit for a hgv then you come in the realms of driving with out due care and attention we are all professionals and should not need to gravity run

NO, it does not “come in the realms of driving without due care and attention”, completely different offence altogether!

And the 10% + 2 is not a given either. They can still prosecute you if you are even 1mph over if they see fit to.

It is merely a recommendation, but not set in stone. My brother in law, who is ex traffic told me that when I asked him

Ken.

shullbit:
Saw 3 pulled after services on hard shoulder (spotter parked on services slip road) looked like they was pulling for speeding down the hill, the thing is, we can legally do 60mph now, so the ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2 mph so where they pulling lorries doing 69 mph going down the hill :open_mouth: Or maybe it was tailgating, i dont know. Definately wasnt for mobile phone use though because the angle of the spotter would not see this

Hartshead Services are at the top of a hill between J25 and J26: so pulled there for speeding downhill seems unlikely?
If stopped Eastbound the long gradient from Ainley Top might cause excess speed, there is a Westbound downhill toward J 26 but doesn’t seem really much and its often congested.
Natural to take advantage of that to build up speed for the climb to Hartshead so that would make sense.

shullbit:
the thing is, we can legally do 60mph now

We’ve been legally able to do 60MPH for decades. 60MPH was the limit on motorways when I passed my test in the early 90s.

Alfa1M:
The 10% +2 guidelines I can almost guarantee wouldn’t be followed regarding a hgv doing 68.
A car doing 79 probably not raising an eyebrow .

Any wagon driver, esp given your probably very heavy loaded to blow the limited speed out the water , doesn’t deserve the same tolerances as a Corsa to be fair

I agree, i hate speeders.

I wonder if the operators of those pulling approaching 70mph are likely to get a visit, anyone doing 70 these days is likely to be an habitual overspeeder, either the company isn’t policing their drivers or the overspeed isn’t registering, either way it isn’t just the possibilty of speeding offence to contend with.

Surely…

To convict them of excess speed, the law must have evidence from a radar or calibrated speedo. They can’t just prosecute on the tacho speed reading.

yourhavingalarf:
Surely…

To convict them of excess speed, the law must have evidence from a radar or calibrated speedo. They can’t just prosecute on the tacho speed reading.

Like the calibrated speed for the Tacho head perhaps? Page 94

Fuzrat:
Like the calibrated speed for the Tacho head perhaps?

I should re-phrase…

My origional satement. Calibrated speedometer evidence from a following police vehicle.

If they could prosecute on the tachograph alone, every single driver would have been banned back in the 80s/90s and naugthies.

yourhavingalarf:

Fuzrat:
Like the calibrated speed for the Tacho head perhaps?

I should re-phrase…

My origional satement. Calibrated speedometer evidence from a following police vehicle.

If they could prosecute on the tachograph alone, every single driver would have been banned back in the 80s/90s and naugthies.

They can and did, Abbey Hill group if my memory serves, some drivers got seriously punished.
Gave us one up where i worked at the time because Abbey’s speeds weren’t as bad as ours at night.

While in theory you can (now) be prosecuted for speeding based solely on the tachograph, it wasn’t always so and in any case there are some significant issues to be overcome. The obvious one would be to prove where the alleged offence was committed…

But a history lesson may be in order. Before the advent of GATSO etc speed cameras, the rules of evidence required the testimony of a real live human to convict. Additionally, speeding is one of those offences which requires corroboration, and this could be the testimony of another human witness or the reading from a radar gun, calibrated speedometer etc (or even a simple stopwatch). These rules were changed in order to allow automatic speed cameras to be used without human input (other than necessary maintenance, calibration etc). I can’t say it didn’t happen, but I seriously doubt that drivers were convicted only on tachograph evidence.

shullbit:

we have always been able to do 60, its still British law and has been since we joined the EU, the 56 mph was introduced as a European wide setting for speed limiters .

gezt:

shullbit:

we have always been able to do 60, its still British law and has been since we joined the EU, the 56 mph was introduced as a European wide setting for speed limiters .

56MPH IS SIMPLY 90KMH

Wheel Nut:

gezt:

shullbit:

56MPH IS SIMPLY 90KMH

But since Brexit it should obviously be a British Imperial 90mph limit NOT a Euro 90kph limit.
I’m sure that defence would work in court.

Personally, I will over run down hill at max 100 kmh which was the original limiter max speed, and never heard of anyone getting done for doing 62 mph.
Highest over run on a previous truck registered on the tacho I drove but not by me was 130 kmh.
Pre limiters 70mph was the norm on a Friday, and everyday for the boys on the fuel tankers.