Please help

Hi all I am new here and don’t actually frive HGV’s so please be gentle with me :slight_smile:

I am actually trying to find out some info for my other half who has just started driving class 2 with a local company. This is his second week, it’s shift work, though most start times are 4,5,and 8am they are paid for 50 hours per week although if they do more they may get o/t at flat rate.

Anyway here comes the question. On Monday o/h started work at 4am and finished 151/2hours later, the job is not all driving so not going over his driving hours, lots of loading/unloading which is heavy work (laundry) etc. Tue he works 8am -8pm so 12 hours Wednesday he works 8am -8pm (12 hours) today he worked 4am (so rest period of just 8hours, is this legal, he was shattered but his boss told him he had to come in?) so 8am -3.30pm (91/2hours) tomorrow he is expected to work a 10 hour shift. total hours for week 59 (may end up being 61) then two days off.

He is shattered at the moment he loves the driving and could cope with the heavy work but not the amount of hours. Is there a limit to the number of hours a driver can work on job (not just drive) in a week, and am I right to think the his boss should never have made him come inat 4am today after finishing at 8pm last night.

Also the company tell the drivers it’s “up to them if they want to take their breaks” but basically encourage them to put their taho onto break when doing a drop at a hotel etc. Does he have to do these extra hours all the time? He is at the moment trying to get them to give him an induction and a contract then I can read that. But his boss told him if he pulled his finger out he could do a Dundee, Carnoustie, Montrose then Aberdeen doing drop offs and pick ups on the way. His base is in Fife in a car it would normally take at least 1/12 hours to get from their to Aberdeen without the detours but his boss told him to do it in 51/2hours this would include unloading the lorry. Any advice gratefully appreciated, I am just worried about him and want to know where he stands.

Thanks if you got to the end of this. Please be nice :slight_smile:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Cat :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

started work at 4am and finished 151/2hours later

15 hours is the maximum - no IFs no BUTs :exclamation:

works 8am -8pm (12 hours) today he worked 4am (so rest period of just 8hours, is this legal

NO - minimum is 9 hours

basically encourage them to put their taho onto break when doing a drop at a hotel etc

Illegal

My advice - LEAVE ASAP

Thanks Rog, I thought that this might have been the case but wasn’t sure, oh well time to look at the jobs that are avaiable. The good thing is he doesn’t regret leaving his last job so I do think driving is for him, just not this job. Thanks again for talking the time to answer. Cate

Cat:
Thanks Rog, I thought that this might have been the case but wasn’t sure, oh well time to look at the jobs that are avaiable. The good thing is he doesn’t regret leaving his last job so I do think driving is for him, just not this job. Thanks again for talking the time to answer. Cate

I’ll try my best Scottish accent… You’re welcome Hen :exclamation: :unamused: :wink: - Ok, so it wasn’t that good :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cat:
Hi all I am new here and don’t actually frive HGV’s so please be gentle with me :slight_smile:

I am actually trying to find out some info for my other half who has just started driving class 2 with a local company. This is his second week, it’s shift work, though most start times are 4,5,and 8am they are paid for 50 hours per week although if they do more they may get o/t at flat rate.

Anyway here comes the question. On Monday o/h started work at 4am and finished 151/2hours later, the job is not all driving so not going over his driving hours, lots of loading/unloading which is heavy work (laundry) etc. Tue he works 8am -8pm so 12 hours Wednesday he works 8am -8pm (12 hours) today he worked 4am (so rest period of just 8hours, is this legal, he was shattered but his boss told him he had to come in?) so 8am -3.30pm (91/2hours) tomorrow he is expected to work a 10 hour shift. total hours for week 59 (may end up being 61) then two days off.

He is shattered at the moment he loves the driving and could cope with the heavy work but not the amount of hours. Is there a limit to the number of hours a driver can work on job (not just drive) in a week, and am I right to think the his boss should never have made him come inat 4am today after finishing at 8pm last night.

Also the company tell the drivers it’s “up to them if they want to take their breaks” but basically encourage them to put their taho onto break when doing a drop at a hotel etc. Does he have to do these extra hours all the time? He is at the moment trying to get them to give him an induction and a contract then I can read that. But his boss told him if he pulled his finger out he could do a Dundee, Carnoustie, Montrose then Aberdeen doing drop offs and pick ups on the way. His base is in Fife in a car it would normally take at least 1/12 hours to get from their to Aberdeen without the detours but his boss told him to do it in 51/2hours this would include unloading the lorry. Any advice gratefully appreciated, I am just worried about him and want to know where he stands.

Thanks if you got to the end of this. Please be nice :slight_smile:

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

give that a good coat of looking at cos ya mans gaffer is taking the mick :wink:

Boss is a right royal ■■■■ taker by the sound of it.

In these harsh economic times, I say that leaving a job isn’t really an option. Keep a diary of everything, as it may come in handy later if it comes down to an unfair dismissal case.

I’d go by the book and if they don’t like it they can have a go at sacking me.

Doing any sort of multi-drop work is a pain in the arse to start with and you do end up running round like a dog chasing it’s own arse, but once you settle into it, masses of time can be saved. It’s just getting through that bedding in period that’s a nightmare.

Thanks guys, the company does seem to be taking the p*ss, by the end of today he will have worked 12hours overtime this week so 62 hours, last week was 541/2hours. It’s a shame cause all he want to do now is leave but needs to get another job before he can do that, easier said than done as he has only had licence since April.

Have to say I think he puts up with more than me I would be saying ,eh! na don’t think so!

Fantastic Scots accent Rog, at leaset you didn’t go for ‘och I the nooo’. :smiley:

Thanks again for all your help, I think o/h is too stressed and shattered to think at the moment. :unamused: